Mesh clustering

grasshopper

(Laurent Delrieu) #1

Following the question of Gijs here a short explanation of my mesh clustering.

A shape (disk here) is first triangulated with mesh machine,

Some random lines are draw on the shape

Points on lines are used to get index of mesh faces that are closes to the points. These index in a Datatree are then used as the seed to cluster the mesh

Contour of the cluster mesh is extracted as a polyline

Polyline is smoothed

The offseted 2 times, outward the innward so the curve will have a limited amount of curvature.

And then colored

What is also fun is to use buggy Gilbert Tesselation, here applied on a surface to make some other pattern types

And to not forget, the first inspiration was that pattern of T Table of Patricia Urquiola
http://www.patriciaurquiola.com

Arid crack
Say Hello to Aviary

Hi Laurent, thanks for taking the time to show the process. What’s so nice is that the result has a very natural look and feel to it.

(Laurent Delrieu) #3

Yes it is beautiful and it changes from Voronoi tesselation.
What gives it an interesting shape is that it grow from a group a faces (here on a segment), but could be circle … You will have to grow one row for each cluster. It is classical mesh topology to solve it.

what do you mean by ‘but could be circle’?

(Tim Stark) #5

Beautiful. Very nice work Laurent!

(Laurent Delrieu) #6

In the example I gave the seed faces were aligned on a line, but they could be aligned on a circle or an arc.

ah… looks very nice as well. Many possibilities :sunglasses:

(Bas) #8

nicely done. i am trying to do something similar with a distribution of points and am wondering about ‘mesh clustering’ and the C script component that you use for that. i suppose you made that yourself? would you please consider sharing it with me?

(Laurent Delrieu) #9

Cracking

Here the script to transform some subdivided parts to a sort of cracked mud.
The idea is to move the mesh differently if points are near the center of the exterior. The other trick is to connect the borders. Slider controlling the movement must be tuned to the size of the object. You will need Weavebird plugin.
I used here classical Voronoi, but you could use mesh clustering and other thessellation algorithms.

cracking_forum.gh (18.5 KB)

Arid crack