Rhino 8 Development

absolute no…!

7 Likes

I heard rumors that after the 2021 merger, pending EU approval, McAutodesk & Associates will put RhinoInside Revit and RhinoInsideFusion. And both will be an add-on subscription price to your existing Revit/Fusion subscription.

And still unnamed source commented: “I think it’s a great way to show synergy and innovation in a fast changing landscape of digital transformation. With the combined forces of McAutodesk & Associates we can make sure that we extract value from our users every single month and we inject it right into our shareholders brokerage accounts. We are excited about the decades to come, where the digital transformation will be generative, AI-powered, with RhinoInside, Cloud-First and yet Customer-Last.”

…We live in weird times indeed.

G

15 Likes

Have you tried softtransform in the transform menu on a subd?

It’s not perfect but as a solid starting point it’s worth trying.

2 Likes

not even funny as a joke. stop it, you are just causing unnecessary anxiety now.

that’s banworthy talk right there- :wink:

4 Likes

Merry Christmas Kyle and Everyone!!! :tada: :christmas_tree:

Looking forward to more years of being a pain in the ass for as long as we don’t all get acquired.

Gustavo

3 Likes

Ignore this man… he’s clearly been day drinking for the holidays. :wink:

Happy holidays Brother, thanks for keeping us honest.

3 Likes

If I may answer: Yes, but it is difficult to use. Have you ever tried falloffs in modo? They are very powerful and can be used no matter what other tool is active. They basically work like a transform multiplier, and are interactive during a transform command. The interactivity is key, so you can alter the falloff while applying the transformation.

2 Likes

totally agree Modo has done that right.

Of course mcneel won’t copy this 1:1 but the concept of having influencers on transform tools instead of a separate transform command should be used as a starting point. Just like we have object snaps that can be switched on and off during any other command.

2 Likes

How would you change SoftTransform?
I’m sure the UI could be better, but what should it do different?

1 Like

I don’t suppose you’ve noticed, but over the years it has come to pass that hammers have a handle with a head at one end; automobiles all have a steering wheel and an accelerator pedal on the right with a brake pedal on the left; space vehicles all have the pointy end up and the motors at the back… need I go on?

As tools and other devices evolve the most common sense approaches to their functionality tend to emerge while the rest disappear. Eventually they all work the same efficient way no matter who makes them. A wonderful side benefit is that anyone who knows what it’s for can use, for example, any manufacturer’s chainsaw without first attending a 2 week training class and several weeks practice under a mentor’s supervision with a particular manufacturer’s version. Needless to say, many things in today’s environment do require such training to learn in the first place, but once the first is mastered it’s easy to use any other company’s version.

That’s the advantage of commonality and standardization and it’s better for everybody except the firms that want to be in the business of training people to use their own non-standard products.

I don’t think there’s any shame in copying a clearly superior way of doing something. I also think there’s plenty of shame in patenting, for example, the process of hitting a pointed piece of wire with a heavy object to fasten two pieces of wood together.

Happy Holidays.

10 Likes

I remember that Ledas plug in. It had some pretty sweet mate tools from what I remember. If I had to put my 2 cents worth in for Rhino 8 suggestions it would be to add some simple mating functionality with the option to lock in place. I wrote my own face-to-face mate script and I use it quite frequently. It would be useful, I would think for anyone doing mechanical work, to have some basic tools for assembly. I have a feeling it would be used a lot.

Thanks,

Dan

4 Likes

I fully agree with you, the reason I said mcNeel won’t copy 1:1 is because that’s what they never do (in many cases I’d say unfortunately).

1 Like

a couple of things to start with:

• Instead of having to enter a ‘radius’ (which after you have entered it, you no longer can see) I would like to see how much influence is active on the object I am transforming, preferably with some sort of visual overlay.
  • The way it is implemented now is not working well because I have to run SoftTransform, change radius, make sure I Enable it (a lot of handling) And then when it is enabled I have to remember it’s on, but there is nowhere where you can see this. Next I make the transform, notice that the radius is not what I want, I have to cancel/undo the transform, go back to the SoftTransform command, click radius, change radius, enter, redo the transform, notice it is still slightly off… etc…
  • Falloff in radius is nice as an option, but we should also be able to influence a certain number of controlpoints from the moved control point(s).
  • Type of falloff (linear, radial, image based)
  • Falloff ease in/out

Furthermor right now the SoftTransform is so tedious that I end up not using the command at all.

5 Likes

this seems appropriate for a program famous for grasshopper to have that:P

If you select a sub-object (Ctrl+Shift+Click) before running the SoftTransform command, the SoftTransform will display a sphere of influence. The sphere of influence is shown in the following screenshot. You can change its radius with a mouse, or by typing a number in the command prompt.

I hope that the sphere of influence will evolve into clickable widget (like gumball), and that its shape will provide a clue about current shape option.

Yes. This is real problem, but it has elegant solution. Instead of adding clutter to the Rhino interface (e.g. status bar), the sphere of influence (show above) can be the clue that the SoftTransform command has been enabled. The SoftTransform command has no effect on Rhino objects - its sole purpose is editing/changing Rhino sub-objects. If the SoftTransform command has been enabled when you select the sub-object, the sphere of influence should be automatically displayed to give you the clue that the SoftTransform command has been enabled. If the SoftTransform command has not been enabled, the sphere of influence should not be displayed.

The SoftTransform command has four kinds of falloff: smooth, linear, round, and sharp. The falloff is changed with shape option. I have no clue how these falloffs work because the SoftTransform command still does not have any documentation.

By the way, bad documentation is not just Rhino problem - nobody cares about documentation. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: During the Second World War German army was the best army in the world because it was the only army that had good documentation. For example, German tank manuals were illustrated with good drawings. Other countries had horrible tank manuals.

1 Like

+1. I don’t make this mistake any more but did to begin with. No idea why a message box isn’t used like with OneView. Or for it to just be in the bottom. It seems like it very logically belongs there, and from there you would pull out the options to edit. Maybe it needs to ‘earn’ that kind of privileged screen space though.

+1.

I couldn’t disagree more as I’ve found it useful no end, but, horses for courses and good to hear a different view. Just wish it could work with Nurbs objects (SoftMove / SoftEditSrf I find are hard to use by comparison).

I’m glad you asked:

4 Likes

Hi All,
I would like to start saying thanks to Rhino and its developers for being what it is: a powerful software backed by a strong and active community. No way to go for yearly updates / subscription fees like the others do.

I work in the marine industry, where Rhino is a sort of “unofficial” standard. Many offices/shipyards have Catia/Solidworks/Nx but, at the end, use Rhino a lot for their quick and dirty modeling stuff.

As you move from 3D to 2D the magic of Rhino stops: Section or Make2D views are generated and copied to “Old Way” layouts in Autocad/AutoClone/…
This is bad because there is no dynamic update, meaning a lot of manual/boring and potentially source of error job need to be done.

If Rhino would have more robust Drafting capabilities and a Good Vector Output it could be the choice to manage the full cycle, from 3D modeling to production drawings.
Avoiding import/export geometry to other software would be a huge benefit.
There is already a thread about this, as mentioned by @ryan.odom : Layout & Drafting: What’s the plan?

Apart from the point above, here a quick list of what I think is missing in Rhino, in no particular order.
I will cover individual points with better description/examples:

3D Modeling

• Chamfer by ratio / angle

• Silhouette for garbled surfaces

• Clipping Plane attached to CPlane (similar to Spaceclaim)

Assembly / Big project management

• Blocks!!

• Multi File opening inside same session??

Plugin / Tools Collections integration

Layout, Drafting and Annotations

• Level managed by layout only, not global display in model (-> Safe Layout plugin)

• Good Vector Output!

• 2D Views / Sections Synced (or cached) to 3D model

• Automatic generation of projected views / sections / details / etc.

• Advanced clipping

• SectionTools integration and improvement

• Structure Grid <-> Sections / Views

• Make 2D improvement - Dynamic Update

• Layout tools

• Excel Support

• Layout detail of any shape

• Print Preview as default or more easily On/Off

• Easier management / screen preview of Line Weights/Styles. Scaled to actual view (no need to zoom in)

File versioning, support / integration with other Software

• PDM?

• GrabCad integration / Plugin

• Step 242 Import / Export.

• Direct Copy/Paste with SpaceClaim (actually works copying from Rhino 5 to Spaceclaim)

• Dropbox (recurrent tmp file error when working with large files)

GUI - Operation - Miscellaneus

• Popup Menu improvement -> New Radial Menu??

• Sync of Preferences/Shortcuts/Plugins between multiple PC’s (i.e Workstation + Laptop / Home + Office, etc…) useful also for backup / migration to new computer.

• Package file, to export custom display modes and other settings/plugin to an archive for sharing design file

• Smart (Solid Modeler Style) Structure Tree of Parts/Assemblies/Blocks and Elements (->SpaceClaim)

• Highlight Layer/Part on structure Tree when I hover over an object

• Highlight element when I hover over its layer

13 Likes

It was introduced in Rhino 6 as solid white hatch.