Block Management Tools Need Improvements

I do nested blocks in Rhino despite the block management tools being so stubbornly lame.
That’s where I would like to see real improvement now.

5 Likes

Are you referring to display speed of blocks or the tools surrounding the management of blocks?

@stevebaer try to edit a nested block and you’ll see what’s lame about it. Once in a block, you cannot double click a nested block to edit its contents. So you have to keep searching in the dialog box to get to edit something in a nested block. It’s very frustrating and for me a reason to avoid nested blocks as much as I possibly can.

1 Like

I’m referring to that kind of stuff :

You can also look in the old newsgroup and search for rants about blocks, since they are still relevant.

6 Likes

I was just trying to figure out if this post needed a different thread as it was not related to V7 display performance. I understand that BlockEdit could use some work.

could use some priority as well :slight_smile:

please please pretty please even more so than all the fancy new stuff in v7

10 Likes

Exactly.
That was the point I was trying to make.
Framerates will never be high enough, yeah, but these days, I’m working on 2GB+ files with relative ease.
Block management has needed a refresh since Conan the Barbarian’s first tooth.
That remark about nested blocks often coming from SolidWorks etc… sure pulled my trigger !

What you need to understand is that, by definition, people who need blocks in Rhino are the ones working on large, complex projects in which the structuration of the data is what allows you to keep track of stuff and not get lost.
Thanks to Grasshopper, we were able to somehow circumvent the amateurish way Rhino deals with blocks, but it is still very crippling.
When you talk about display speed improvements, you are talking directly to those frustrated people, so just be a bit more carefull how you present it.

1 Like

Boy, do I feel left out… :stuck_out_tongue:

And the only thread that I’ve ever seen getting any traction at all:

The worry now, perhaps, is that the same 5 people are seen posting in all of these, and McNeel thinking that the rest of their customers have no issue with it… though nobody from McNeel has ever given me any satisfactory answers in any of my threads regarding blocks, so I don’t believe that is the case for a second.

6 Likes

@eobet Yo ! Ma man !

Adding my thread to this sad collection.

5 Likes

Yes, yes, please put some love into blocks/blockmanager!
I use inserts/xrefs/reference blocks to be able to work collaboratively on one file and/or to keep large files small and tidy. Thus I have to open the blockmanager often to update/remove etc. blocks. That thing is not on the height of time. We know it, you know it…
An easy thing to add would be to put block functionality in the context menus. Just one of many worthwhile improvements.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Angry crowd of Rhino users with forks and torches : Better block ! Better blocks ! Better blocks !

McNeel : -crickets-

10 Likes

Could this be because the rest of the Rhino users can do what they need to without using blocks even though blocks would make some things much nicer (if properly implemented)? Many of us have tried to use the block system and found it an annoying pain and even hard to comprehend, and just decided it’s useless. Perhaps the persistent beggars are the folks who really can’t even do their jobs without blocks. They have actually used McNeel’s poor excuse for a block system enough to enumerate and describe it’s stinky parts.

I’ll add my voice, for what it’s worth, to this. I don’t use blocks in Rhino. Not because I don’t want to, but because they are a confounding, workflow-wrecking mess.

2 Likes

Interesting.

Could it be a chichen and egg problem ?
McNeel not giving a f- -k because users don’d give a f- -k, the blocks being so f- -ked ?

You got yourselves a nice little theory there fellas.

I think you’ve hit the fking nail on the fking head, Olivier.

1 Like

I want better block management too!

from my pov the problem is double :

1. block aren’t working well so they’re not really used (eg try to render them)
  2. today majority of the Rhino users are very inexperienced kids and most of them even don’t know what a block is for.

Better block ! Better blocks ! Better blocks !

1 Like

@bobmcneel yes please hire a better block manager

4 Likes

To be fair, though… if I could choose between a better block manager and, say, Solidworks/Alias class robust filleting (and dear god, un-filleting), I’d chose filleting any day. Because although the block manager is an inconvenience for me personally, it’s the filleting in Rhino that’s 100% a showstopper for me to attempt to suggest that anyone else where I work should use Rhino instead of Solidworks/Catia. 2 licenses is the maximum we’re ever getting until filleting is drastically improved… but that’s just us.

Perhaps it’s the reverse in, say, an architecture firm?