(ui-bug) Focus needs extra click

dear mc neel.
dear @dan
another small but annoying thing - that happens not very consistent. (sometimes it happens, sometimes not… ) but i caught it on CCTV:

try to _setPt of some control points.
after the dialog closes (sometimes) a first superfluous* click is necessary to get focus on the viewport. in video 0:07
then finally a second click is needed…
;-(
many times already the first click is shooting the target …

kind regards -tom

Thanks Tom! Just a head’s up that I’m distracted on other projects right now, but your recent topics are not off my radar and I hope to give them more attention soon.

same issue with other commands.
not sure if it is because i use a second monitor - but the dialog is on the same screen.
… drawing a dot needs an additional click - sometimes.

I’ve been attempting to reproduce this here for awhile and - as expected from your report - it’s difficult.

Here are the steps I’m taking:

1. Launch Rhino 7.12.21313.06342 and start a new modeling window.
  2. Move the Rhino modeling window to my secondary display.
  3. Maximize the Perspective viewport.
  4. Run the Line command and draw two lines with ends that are visible with in the view.
  5. In the snaps panel, enable End, Point, Midpoint, Intersection, and Knot
  6. Run the Dot command. In the dialog, type xx and click the Apply button.
  7. Attempt to place the dot at the end of one of the lines with a single click.
  8. Repeat steps 6 and 7.

It works as expected.

I love that you use this term :laughing: and I really appreciate the videos. I’m very familiar with these sorts of difficult-to-reproduce bugs.

How are you capturing these? Are you just modeling with screen recording running all the time? Or did you start recording as soon as you saw the behavior buggy behavior appear? I’m guessing it’s the later. (Sometimes I’m tempted to do the former - if it weren’t for diskspace limitations - just to capture some of these elusive bugs).

I presume if you quit and restart Rhino, the behavior goes back to normal?

screenflick

yes - saw the behaviour and start the screen recorder to show (of with) it.

restart rhino, and / or restart the computer click / focus is again as expected.
if I follow your steps 1…8 - currently also works as expected.

Thanks. That’s what I expected you’d say. I’m pretty quick with the Command+Shift+5 …at least quick enough to capture the bug…but rarely do I have the ten minutes before the bug started happening. I’m tempted to capture my rare “hours long” modeling session because that’s typically when I experience these elusive and annoying bugs.

Well, if you notice a pattern of activity that causes this to start happening with some consistency, maybe that would be a clue. Since it doesn’t appear to be command-specific, I guess I suspect something like the snaps popovers (just a wild guess).

what do you main with this ? (my poor non-native english… sorry)

what is really strange: the preview uses the coordinates of the mouse - see the first CCTV-shot of the initial post … but the mouse click does not interact (even if the screencapture caught it)

It is just a guess (and a wild one at that). What I meant was: perhaps the indicators of the snaps - end, intersection - etc. - are implicated in the bug. It’s a bit of a wild guess. I’m trying to thing of things that might start to interfere with the mouse focus.

ok next time i have this problem i disable snapping and check if this has any influence… i ll let you know if i sense something that might give more info or allows reproduction. kind regards -tom

Seems that this happens when CurvatureGraph is active, logged as:
RH-71507 SetPt needs two clicks in viewport when CurvatureGraph is active

wow. another nice catch. :fish:
Congratulations. :wave:

1 Like

@Gijs
this is still not fixed in latest V8/WIP

and still - i would love to be able to press Enter in the property fields and give back focus to the commandline…

seams like there is similar issues here:

2 years later… after posted
1 year later after @Gijs showed that the issue is cased by curvatureGraph

STILL NOT FIXED !!!

sorry it s an annoying bug.
any update on this ?
thanks

this extra click is also required in V8.0 for BlockEdit Add/Remove Object