V7 beta hangs then disappears if render curves is checked after rendering is finished

Hi,
I just accidentally clicked render curves in post processing after a render and Rhino hung then completely disappeared without warning.
I then reopened the file and rhino did detect a close without saving and reloaded the auto saved file but it was not up to date and I had to redo a bunch of lost work. So again autosave almost worked. I see I have to be careful around rendering and save much more than I am use to in Rhino.
RM

I am unable to repeat this problem with your instructions.
Can you repeat the crash?
If so what are your steps?

Sorry wasn’t a crash a hang and then poofy gone. Render then after rendering is done click on curves option in post render.
RM

Try with the Nvida denoiser checked and a file with more line work it’s hanging for me right now and the command is not completing. Ap rhino just disappeared with no crash report. Yea this is busted for me.
RM

The symptoms you describe sound more like the display driver crashing.
Mine still works fine.
I can not make it disappear like you’re describing.

What is your SystemInfo?

Did you have the NVida denoiser checked?
Rhino 7 SR0 2020-10-6 (Rhino 7 BETA, 7.0.20280.13133, Git hash:master @
Expires on: 2020-11-20

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® HD Graphics 530 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 11-18-2018 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 4-3-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 445.87

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-3-2020
Driver Version: 26.21.14.4587
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\ProgramData\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.2 (e24ee14a-9514-47da-8fe6-f6e61b20160e)\Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.rhp “Twinmotion Direct Link 2020” 1.0.6.0
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\NVIDIADenoiser\0.4.0\NVIDIADenoiser.Windows.rhp “NVIDIADenoiser.Windows” 0.4.0.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.0.20280.13133
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.0.20280.13133
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.0.20280.13133
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.0.20280.13133
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.0.20280.13133
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\PanelingTools\2020.9.1.565\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”

Since the symptoms seem to be display system related, I would update both the Intel and nVidia drivers.
The Intel driver is particularly suspicious.

Intel from 29 September:

nVidia from 7 October:

Also, in Windows Control Panel > Power options, make sure you’re set for “High performance” so the GeForce card is used.

I’m assuming in Rhino Options > Cycles > Cuda > select your GeForce card

try this as well since you are running a hybrid machine

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/soooo-you-bought-a-laptop-with-hybrid-graphics-and-rhino-doesnt-run-right-read-this/109982/2

Yes this is the typical response.
Have you tried rendering with the nvidia denoiser checked let the render complete than check render curves? Meaning Not checking render curves first than rendering?
The reason I ask is that I can render the curves if I check the option first but if I render than check Rhino crashes or disappears.
Anyway I don’t think this has to do with drivers since the curves render fine if I check that option first.
RM

Yes, twice. You described that and I tried it.
I could not repeat the problem.

Yes I’ve read your posts and I don’t have a problem with my machine nor the drivers functioning in Rhino nor any other program. Over these wips the driver suggestions to all my reported bugs has never been the answer and was always to do with McNeel not my drivers. But I understand they could be a problem and I do appreciate McNeel’s help on that side of things. Just in my case the bugs that were fixed or not never had to do with the intel driver or old nvidia drivers.
RM

Ok I guess yet another thing to watch out for.
Thanks for your help.
RM

If we can’t repeat a problem, then we can’t fix it.

Since I can’t repeat this with your instructions, the problem has all the earmarks of a display problem, and you’re running old Intel drivers with a history of problems, I suggested the updates.

Does the problem exist when you aren’t using the denoiser? That information would help us figure out where to point fingers.

1 Like

Hi Steve,

No it only happens using the NVidia denoiser. If I uncheck the denoiser after the rendering then I can use all the other post processing functions but if I recheck the denoiser and try to use the curves post function rhino stalls then disappears without a bug report.
All other post processing works “though I haven’t tried text”, but the curves option definitely does it.
Thanks for looking into it.
RM

@DavidEranen or @andy will probably need to take a look at this. I’m not very involved in the denoiser projects.

Ok let me know how I can help. Love the way the denoiser and rendering with cycles is working I can’t say enough how much I am enjoying working in Rhino V7.
RM

@DavidEranen will most likely get back to you on Monday. Until then can you please ensure with _PackageManager that you have the latest denoiser plug-in installed?

Hi @nathanletwory @John_Brock
Just to be correct and perhaps I was being a stick in the mud about not updating drivers.
I did update my drivers
re-downloaded the Nvidia denoiser
Opened the file and rendered with the denoiser rendering finished I then clicked on the curves option and same result Rhino stalls then disappeared without a crash report.
RM

Rhino 7 SR0 2020-10-6 (Rhino 7 BETA, 7.0.20280.13133, Git hash:master @
Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® HD Graphics 530 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 9-24-2020 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 9-30-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 456.71

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-30-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5671
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\ProgramData\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.2 (e24ee14a-9514-47da-8fe6-f6e61b20160e)\Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.rhp “Twinmotion Direct Link 2020” 1.0.6.0
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\NVIDIADenoiser\0.4.0\NVIDIADenoiser.Windows.rhp “NVIDIADenoiser.Windows” 0.4.0.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.0.20280.13133
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.0.20280.13133
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.0.20280.13133
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.0.20280.13133
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.0.20280.13133
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\PanelingTools\2020.9.1.565\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”

Thank you, this is VERY helpful.

This is clearly a repeatable problem (by you at least), and seems to point at the nVidia Denoiser.
I’m running the denoiser too but on a Quadro P2000 so it’s a different test.

I don’t see much more “low hanging fruit” (eg. display drivers), in your SystemInfo with regard to this problem.

In an effort to leave no stone unturned and get this problem fixed quickly, please try one more thing:
Temporarily disable the Twinmotion plug-in, restart Rhino and see if the problem persists.

Hopefully @DavidEranen will get back to you soon either with a potential fix or with additional testing requests to isolate the problem enough to find and fix it.

Thanks