Think pad still crashing after device updates

Dear all,

I Have updated all my device - i think and the updates are all showing as up to date:

Rhino 6 SR28 2020-7-17 (Rhino 6, 6.28.20199.17141, Git hash:master @ b1f15b655bd1f5ae0d3d3257e3efdeb0a45630e4)
License type: Commercial, build 2020-07-17
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Laurence Dowson ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 7.7Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-UID6J35

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel® HD Graphics 5500 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 8-16-2018 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.4.0 - Build 20.19.15.5058

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.4
Shading Language: 4.40 - Build 20.19.15.5058
Driver Date: 8-16-2018
Driver Version: 20.19.15.5058
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”

Can anyone help me please as it is still crashing.

I have searched google but not found any answers.

Thank you

Laurie

The driver is still 2 years out of date. Looks like the most recent driver available is from March 2020…

Note that the 1Gb of video memory is far below the recommended minimum for proper functioning of V6…

Thank you I saw it was two years old so I will update now - thank you for the link

How can I increase the video memory?

If it’s a desktop, you can buy a dedicated video card and put it in… maybe. If it’s a laptop, I don’t think you can do much. Whether you can actually add a video card to your desktop depends on I guess the machine and the type/number of accessory slots available. You also need to make sure your power supply can handle the load. Sometimes it’s just better to buy a newer, higher performance machine.

This may be relevant for updating the driver: Updating Intel HD Driver

Rhino 6 SR28 2020-7-17 (Rhino 6, 6.28.20199.17141, Git hash:master @ b1f15b655bd1f5ae0d3d3257e3efdeb0a45630e4)
License type: Commercial, build 2020-07-17
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Laurence Dowson ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 7.7Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-UID6J35

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel® HD Graphics 5500 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 1-21-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.4.0 - Build 20.19.15.5126

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.4
Shading Language: 4.40 - Build 20.19.15.5126
Driver Date: 1-21-2020
Driver Version: 20.19.15.5126
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

I have managed to update some of the drivers.

I have run Rhino for longer then it crashed. Can anyone spot what might be happening?

I have done a few updates of other drivers and it all seems to have stabilised currently. thank you everyone for your help, fingers crossed.

The current driver is from 25 March:

Please try it.

SO many Intel graphics issues…

Everyone needs to understand for once and for all…

INTEL HD VIDEO IS NOT, HAS NEVER BEEN AND LIKELY WILL NEVER BE GOOD FOR RHINO. (or any 3d modeling software for that matter)

Your intel has 1gb vram… our min spec is 4gb vram.
Even with the newest drivers You will continue to have performance issues with this set up trying to do professional work.

STANDALONE VIDEO CARDS PEOPLE>>STANDALONE VIDEO CARDS!!!

If you are doing pro work, BUY A PRO MACHINE!!!

(frustrated tech monkey rant over)

4 Likes

According to Task Manager and NVIDIA screenshots (shown below) my laptop has 2GB of dedicated video RAM and 15.8GB of shared video RAM. If this enough video RAM for Rhino 6 and 7?

From the System Requirements:

For each high resolution monitor you’re running you should have at least 8 GB VRAM

no it is not

Are you saying that shared video RAM is completely useless, or that it may be too slow for professional use? Is there any way to test the speed of both kinds of RAM?

Computers can have either a dedicated graphics card with on-board dedicated memory (RAM) or an integrated (shared) system where the graphics components are part of the processor (CPU). An integrated system uses a portion of the system memory for graphics, which decreases the amount of RAM available for general use. Another option has been added to the market, computers with both a dedicated graphics card and a shared system. This is called switchable graphics or APU by some manufacturers. The computer can be configured to either choose on the fly which method works best for the current application or the user can choose manually which system to use… Shared systems were traditionally put into lower-end computers… In the last ten years, however, shared graphics systems have improved greatly. source: https://www.crucial.com/articles/about-graphic-design/dedicated-graphics-card-vs-shared-cpu

you want 4gb dedicated vram.

Intel graphics just do not work well. and haven’t for a decade now. There used to be an open gl option in rhino just to make these card work at all (use accelerated hardware= off) with v6 forward it’s hidden in the advanced options, but even with that…they will always be barely functional.

You need a stand alone card to do professional work.

Mostly it’s that it’s simply not enough. All the added OpenGL features Rhino 6 is using mean more stuff needs to be stored in VRAM. Textures, buffers, caches, polygons.

I think the 8GB per monitor recommendation is a bit…extreme, maybe for 2 4K montiors I suppose, but 2GB is definitely inadequate. 1 GB was a lot when I bought a high-end “gaming” card for Rhino in 2009 and that’s not actually enough to run modern GAMES. My current video card has 11GB, and the next will have 12 or 16 or 24.

The 4 and 8 GB VRAM recommendation for each monitor come directly from the developers.
All we can do is recommend.

I use Nvida GPU, not Intel GPU. Take a look at the second screenshot in my latest post. It says that Nvidia GPU uses 18GB of RAM (2GB dedicated and 16GB shared). I have connected 4K monitor to my laptop and I display 4K videos at 60Hz frame rate without glitches.

Great! you are fortunate to run smoothly… you’d run better with more vram tho.

I’m guessing your renderings are pretty slow with 384 cuda cores?

As open gl rendering becomes more demanding with more features coming on line, you will certainly see improvement with a bigger/ faster card.

Both my laptop and desktop only have 2 GB of VRAM. I haven’t had any display problems with Rhino. What am I missing? :Perhaps it is because I do very little rendering and my models are generally not too complex.:

Yes, I have posted similar findings in other threads. I think the minimum recommendations McNeel has set are too high personally. I have an old laptop with 2Gb that is used occasionally by students in my class and it works fine for what we have to do. Here I have a 6Gb card that runs two HD monitors and a laptop with a 4Gb card that runs a 4K screen. So personally I feel that the ‘minimum’ recommendations (4Gb for a std HD screen and 8Gb for a 4K screen) are set at least 2x too high. I would like to hear some real explanations for those numbers with practical use cases to show they are justified.