Think pad still crashing after device updates

FWIW,

If you ask me, that’s (part of) the key here.

It doesn’t say minimum, and it is a recommendation.

I run Rhino on a laptop with 1 GB Intel and 4 GB GeForce GTX - with drivers from 2017 and 2018, respectively.

This runs fine - on this specific machine and for what I need to do.

The thing is that the same hardware with perhaps different drivers or other software also installed on the machine might not work well or not work at all.

And we see more issues with certain GPU models and certain drivers.
-wim

Well, I’m basing this on comments made here and in other similar discussions, like:

and

My guess is the “recommendation” for VRAM are CYA by McNeel, and based on experiences of users who do a lot of rendering and/or very complex models.

Perhaps McNeel should provide a requirement of what is needed for functioning with simpler models, such as a boat, and a recommendation of what may be needed for more intense rendering or complex models.

Good idea. Perhaps include a couple of snapshots of examples of what is meant for each category.

That’s a constantly moving target and we have limited hardware testing resources.
We know what we use personally.
This questions is what the Hardware Category is for, and you fine folks are doing a great job!

Thank you all. I got this laptop for my work/other activities.

What is the best G/P laptop for Rhino please?

Personally speaking (not an official McNeel recommendation) …

I have used BOXX machines for years. They have been very reliable for my needs when I was a consultant. I BEAT on computers, and I have not had one of their machines let me down yet. Not the cheapest option but those guys build good stuff and their customer service is really good.

fwiw- I had a retired workstation that had a hd die… it was almost 8 years old, I called them, they pulled up the original build sheet instantly and gave me a link and part numbers for a good replacement ssd…then told me to call back when it arrived and they would walk me thru the install and bios set up (old set up was a hybrid ssd/ platter drive system) to make sure I got back up and running asap.