Rhino viewport navigation request

Would it be possible to add the following navigation options (shift + MMB) to rotate and MMB to pan? These are Revit’s defaults and cannot be configured in Rhino. The same goes for right mouse button to open the right click menu like it does in Revit. I’m sure most users would like these applications to be streamlined in this regard.

Furthermore, I would like to see Rhino’s viewport navigation with a 3d mouse (3dconnexion device) to have the same experience as it has in Revit, with the same speed. This is because these devices can only be configured for Revit and not for Rhino inside Revit.

2 Likes

Please no. Right click is so much easier and simpler as an orbit function. (and standard in many other software).

1 Like

Rhino has had these shortcuts for many years so it’s generally not a good idea to change them. It could be argued that the navigation key combinations should be configurable. I’ll let @kike respond since he’s the Rhino master here.

@Michael_Pryor My proposal is specifically targeted at Rhino.Inside, for which I think configurable navigation keys (and 3d mouse behaviour) allows for continuity between Rhino and the host software. In the end, everyone has personal preferences (stemming from different software backgrounds), so to each their own preference settings wouldn’t hurt, right?

In terms of settings, a button for "Swap pan and rotate (press Shift+MMB to rotate; press MMB to pan) below the checked Rotate option would do the trick.

1 Like

I see. I missed that. My bad!

Hi,

I think changing the right mouse button behavior in Rhino is far more complex than allow to customize the middle one. It sounds like a good balance to me.
I have entered this topic as a user request in Rhino bug-tracker for Rhino 7.

3 Likes

I am coming from Fusion 360. Any updates on Rhino settings to achieve the following mouse controls when in perspective?
Shift + MMB = Rotate
MMB = Pan

Troy, I hear you, the ability to have custom button profiles has long been desired Rhino feature, unfortunately there are legacy aspects that would have to be overcome for that to happen; it’s not desirable to have different button setups between softwares.

2 Likes

RH-59583 is fixed in the latest WIP

2 Likes

Hi @brian,
The Youtrack link appears to be broken. I just downloaded the latest WIP this morning and I don’t see any option to set Shift + MMB rotate and MMB to pan option. So I was wondering, what has actually been fixed?

Hi -

It wasn’t broken, it was just set to be visible to developers only. I’ve now changed that.

As for the fix, Brian’s messages go out automatically when a developer commits a fix in a build. Internally, the process then goes to “Needs Testing” but when the commit is very close to a new public release and the issue reporter doesn’t have a chance to test the fix, the “this is fixed” message goes out anyway.

In this case, this item was tested and somewhat approved but sent back to the developer for some rewording. You can read the details in that report.
-wim

Awsome that this is indeed being worked on! I was a bit affraid that it was another fix.

Will this eventually also allow panning in Grasshopper with MMB? This basically means that Grasshopper’s MMB and RMB actions need to be swapped. The entire experience would then be streamlined :relaxed:

Hi -

No, not at all.
I’ve now put that request on the Grasshopper 2 list - RH-70496 Grasshopper 2: Mouse options
-wim

1 Like

Thanks Wim!