Hi, I’m really close to despairing with Rhino’s performance on my Mac. I recently bought a new 2019 16" MacBook Pro and I thought this would solve some of my issues due to better CPU and added GPU. But Rhino does not really feel much faster and often so slow that it becomes a pain to use.
One issue I’m experiencing right now: I have a 2D plan .DWG file that I want to use as basis for my 3D geometry. I open it in Rhino and removed some layers to get rid of unnecessary geometry – so far so good (even though selecting curves is already slow). Then I scale it by 200 to get it to actual size. After that it’s beach ball only and the file becomes completely useless.
I read in another thread that there are performance issues with “far from origin” geometry. So I thought changing the units from cm to m without scaling the geometry would help. And I think it did in the original file. But when I try to use that file as a block in another file – beach ball and no chance of doing anything in Rhino.
Any idea how I can make this work? I am attaching the 3DM file that I made from the original DWG file.Plan EG 200131 minimal.3dm (12.1 MB)
Rhino 6 SR30 2020-9-22 (Public Build, 6.30.20266.15092, Git hash:master @ b85b6e5617e08a8623f8685ecd6cb2037272a92d)
License type: Commercial, build 2020-09-22
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Ingmar Varain (Verdandi-PVZH)
Apple Intel 64-bit macOS Version 10.15.6 (Build 19G2021) (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1
Machine name: IVMBP2019
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M OpenGL Engine (OpenGL ver:4.1 ATI-3.10.16)
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height
Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.1
Shading Language: 4.10
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: n/a
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
Displays: Color LCD (226dpi 2x)
Intel UHD Graphics 630 (1536 MB)
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M (4 GB)
Color LCD (1536 x 960 @ 59 Hz)
However, I want to stress that the original file works ok – it’s just after scaling that the file becomes unusable. So it’s not really the amount of curves that is causing the issues… but I have no idea what is
I think 6 and 7 mac have big performance issues. 2d drawing, material editor, Layouts. They feel insanely laggy, even on small files. I swithed to 7 wip because it feels slightly faster. But still far away from 5, which is fast even on my 15 year old wrecks, which I do not use anymore.
I use on my macs AutoCAD, Affinity Photo Designer Publisher, AD Lightroom, Blender etc. No performance issues at all. Only Rhino 6/7 gives me big trouble.
As written above I dumped 6 because I do not see any point in using it. I started a thread some days ago
Thanks for your Feedback @OXII and @Helvetosaur. I uploaded the file to tech support and will post an update if there is a reply. So it might be a solution to go back to Rhino 5? I don’t think I want to do that though, having 2 programs installed with different features and all seems like a less than optimal solution. Also I don’t really want to use WIP for critical projects… Thanks anyway!
I hadn’t considered that option yet. I don’t have bootcamp/Win installed so far but I’ll look into it. I think I would actually prefer this over having another version of Rhino installed or using the WIP
Fun fact: I’ve actually gone back to drawing plans in Adobe Illustrator because of the poor performance of Rhino in this feature
This is not a Mac specific issue. I can bring Windows Rhino to its knees with this model as well. There are custom hatches in this model that result in a ton of tiny lines and scaling by 200 blows up the number of lines to a number that Rhino can’t handle.
Here’s what you can do while we figure out a way to improve this in Rhino
Open your model
Run SelHatch to select all of the hatches in your model
In the hatch properties panel change the scale to 200 for all of these hatches
My suggestion to the users is to switch to 7mac beta. It gets better and better, performance is improving from version to version.
We import a lot of dwg files and do also all the 2d execution drawings in Rhino. It works well. Only the responsiveness and speed is not as fast as we would like it to be. It still feels laggy and slow after a few lines and hatches and some imported dwg reference.
With 7 (first wip and now beta) it has gotten better and better over the last months. Initially it was not unusable because of poor performance. Now it is already way better, but it would be great if it still gets improved in performance.
Without necessarily commenting on the performance on a Mac, it would be interesting to get such sample model to test it on Windows. It doesn’t take much of “some imported dwg reference” to completely slow-down the Windows version as well…