Rhino 8 stability (crashes too often)

Hi, I’m a Rhino user since Rhino 4 and on of the most valuable features of the software has been its stability.

It almost never crashed, and when it looked like it was going to… it was just a matter of waiting few seconds or minutes because it was doing something heavy on the background

What I’m finding on rhino 8 is that it crashes too often, even with not heavy or complex files, sections are one of the reasons, something that wasn’t happening in rhino 7

I love some of the new features of rhino 8, but today I’m being forced to switch back to rhino 7. I’ve been talking to friends who are also heavy users of rhino and they are also going back to 7 because of the instability of rhino 8

Does anyone has any tips or are there any pending updates to fix it?

Thanks

2 Likes

First thing to do would be post your _SystemInfo, to see any obvious issues.

Thanks David

systemInfo.txt (2.5 KB)

But the problems are persistent in 5 different computers at the office

This may not resolve the problems, but you have older Nvidia drivers on your RTX 4060 Mobile. It’s certainly worth updating those first.

Updating drivers may help. But I expect we might need to do more. When crashing, is there a crash dialog to fill out? What email was used for those crashes?

Is there a file that crashes each time?

1 Like

Hi @scottd,

I think I’m feeling some of this pain. R7 had it’s crashes, but they were usually predictable. R8 seems to be picking up new, novel crashes on fundamental stuff as development continues. For example, here’s one that’s particularly rough.

I don’t think there’s any solution to this thread, we just need to keep capturing and sharing these bugs and hoping the McNeel team is making things better after every release. And if we can’t make our production goals on R8, some of us will need to roll back to R7.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Rhino 8 Crashing in Display

2 posts were split to a new topic: Rhino 8 long time to open Rendering scenes

There are lot of variables that are could be involved. To isolate this in Rhino we need examples and systemInfo. Thanks

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/please-read-this-if-you-are-logging-a-bug-or-issue/173971/3

1 Like

Worth noting, most of the issues I’ve been having are not with baseline R8, but rather with non default plugins, specifically renderers, that are causing R8 to trip.

Also, McNeel is super responsive once you give them a lead. They’ve already helped me troubleshoot the issue I posted above.

Thanks again, @Japhy!

A post was split to a new topic: Rhino 8 Crashing in Display

I’m seeing this too. Initially I had render issues (raytrace) and updating my Nvidia driver resolved that. But I’m seeing semi-frequent locked screen when doing simple stuff.

Rhino 8 SR6 2024-4-10 (Rhino 8, 8.6.24101.05001, Git hash:master @ 32c244aa711e0034e75bec2e87d093c764820b96)
License type: Educational, build 2024-04-10
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19045 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 16GB)
.NET 7.0.18

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 10-19-2023 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 545.92
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 10-19-2023
Driver Version: 31.0.15.4592
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.6.24101.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 8.6.24101.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.6.24101.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\MeshCommands.rhp “MeshCommands” 8.6.24101.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 8.6.24101.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 8.6.24101.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

You need to update to even more recent. For your RTX 3070 that’d be Driver Details | NVIDIA . When you do the installation choose to do Custom/Advanced install type and then check the Clean Installation checkbox before continuing.

Most of the time there’s no crash dialog.

For example, some typical crash, moving a section… The program shuts down immediately, or sometimes it freezes for a few seconds and then crashes

It happens with any file when it has a bit of detail

I’ve been having this problem so often with a recent project, then I moved back to Rhino 7 and it was working perfectly

Hope it will be fixed with the upcoming updates

Thanks

When I am getting Rhino 8 crashes, they are almost always without a crash dialog now. I haven’t seen a crash dialog in ages I think. My most common occurrence is when I am doing something like detail surface editing, especially with CurvatureGraph and PointsOn.

Thanks for that, I’ll look into it! But rendering is no longer the problem with the update I did already.
Kindly,
G

2 Likes

Looks like this was a plugin causing the crash in that thread.

Yes, and also with the other two major issues I’ve had recently, both caused by rendering plugins.

It’s strange, because the crashes seemingly have nothing to do with the plugin, but turning off the plugin solves the problem.

We agree that it does not seem to be in the same place. But once we can identify which plugin we would like to see if we can follow up with them to see if it is something we can help with.

A post was split to a new topic: Rhino for Mac crashes on close in Rhino or GH