Rhino 8 long time to open Rendering scenes

I have crashes all the time and Rhino 8 does not even open most of my Rhino 7 scenes or even scenes that were made by my teammate on Rhino 8.

@fernando_rentas1 We will need to see an example if you can send us one. We can look at that is taking a long time.

Sometimes it can be a file on a network drive that is searching for textures that have been moved.

In the case you have there is no crash as such?

it sounds from the thread title like an issue with how rhino tries to start realtime display mode viewports rendering when opening files that use them

the realtime display mode needs an option like OpenAs that can be set to “Rendered” or “Shaded” or such, since they can be so resource-intensive

for a comical demonstration of the need for this, try using the browse file versions feature on mac, with a heavy model that uses a raytraced viewport

To sidestep such a potential issue you can import the file you need to work with in an empty document - it is an annoying workaround, but should at least ensure you don’t have to wait for a long time while a realtime display mode is getting started on open.

Is there any option to avoid Rhino from searching for the textures?
I think this could be the issue and that the search process is taking a long long time. I had to wait for more than 30 minutes before manually killing Rhino.

Manually Killing Rhino not only sounds like some days of working with Rhino; but also a binge-worthy Netflix series people are addicted to for four months.

Sometimes, Rhino does crash so dramatically, it could be worthy of the big screen.

To test this, move the model to a local hard drive. It is so much faster then a network drive you would see a big speedup in opening if this is really the issue.

Also, sending it to use would help as we can profile the opening of the file to see where it is taking a long time.

This is a place you can send large files: Rhino - Upload to Support

Hi Scott
The scenes that I have an issue with, were at the server, but I saved them on my HD before opening them. I wish I could send you a scene, but the company does not let me do that. I will try to replicate the issue with something I could share.
Another thing that is happening is that the “Creating mesh” process is taking a long time as well. Not sure if the issues are related, but even with the mesh setting set to “Jagged and faster” Rhino is taking a long time to create the mesh. Rhino is also re-meshing my scene sometimes even if I do not modify any geometry.

Is Creating mesh showing up every time the file is opened? That would greatly exaggerate the opening time. There is a method that files are Saved Small. This removes the render mesh and would require creating meshes each time it opens.

Once meshes are created, run the Polygoncount command. We can see how large the file is.

Yes, Everytime I open a file Rhino is creating mesh and that is taking a lot of time to calculate.
If I do save small, that will not save the mesh, but when I change to any display mode, Rhino started creating mesh and that take for ever as well.

I have no issue at all with Rhino 7

Here is a trick. Delete the model itself. Draw a few boxes in the file. Then save as… the model as a new name.

When opening that new smaller file does it still take a long time? That will show if it is actually materials.

Polygon count would still be great on the file just to give us sense of scale.

Also have you sent us a SystemInfo from Rhino> That would be helpful.

Here is my system info
Rhino_System_Info.txt (3.3 KB)
I will do the test you mentioned as soon as I can.
Thank you!

Interesting hardware setup. Two areas we need to focus on.

1. It seem there are two RTX A6000 video cards on the machine? Beautiful setup, but are monitors only connected to one? The drivers look drivers up to date here.
  2. This is the bigger one. What is the Citrix Indirect Display Adapter (Citrix Systems Inc.) Memory: 0MB, Driver date: 1-23-2019 (M-D-Y). connected to? Is there a wireless display? USB? Driver of course is much older.

Yes, I have two NVdian A6000 48GB each. I have two monitors connected to only one video card. If I connect the second monitor to the second card, it wont work. The drivers are the latest version.
I have no idea about the Citrix adapter. But the company uses Citrix workspace and it may be related to it.
The weird here is that I have no issue with Rhino 7.

2024.04.25_Surface.3dm (5.5 MB)
The attached scene is very simple, I do not have the slow open issue with it, but I have the long create mesh time issue when I remove one of the hole of the panel.
In Rhinio 7 if I use “UntrimHole” command to remove the hole the feedback is instantly. In Rhino 8 I have to wait like 12 second because the creating mesh process.
Ive been using Rhino since version 1 and this is the only time I have so many issues. I will have to roll back to Rhino 7.

Nice, I run an RTX A6000 and an RTX 6000 Ada gen in my setup. (water-cooled).

Fernando -

Thanks you for sending the file.

In my case the remove hole is less then a second in Rhino 8.7. I still think this is a display issue in 8. So if you run the remove hole in Shaded mode and not Rendered mode, does it still take 12 seconds?

I will send you a link in PM to download the internal build I am using, so we can be testing exactly the same.

Another question I have is this file that is not included. Is this file still in its original location? How large is it?

empty_warehouse_01_4k_Sat.hdr