Rhino 6 black screen during startup or opening file while on secondary (4K) monitor. Fine on primary display

@jstevenson So far I haven’t been able to repeat this with my current laptop… Downloading and installing 1903 now to see if that does it.

But I have some questions for you…

1. By the following…

… Do you mean: You start Rhino, you then move it over to the non-primary monitor, you then load a file that immediately requires meshing, and Rhino locks up? If that’s not what you’re doing, then what exactly are you doing to get “Rhino to open on non-primary monitor” ?

Edit: And if you immediately repeat the steps above, but you leave the Rhino Window on the primary monitor, it doesn’t lock up? I’m starting to wonder if this is related to this:

…which was solved by this:

The “NahimicOSD.DLL” is some 3rd party audio driver that gets attached to all processes, and does a very poor job at enumerating multiple display devices…whoever wrote it assumed that the processes in which they run would never be enumerating display devices as well, and so it doesn’t “play nice” inside Windows’ display device management API… So please check to see if you have anything like the “NahimicOSD.DLL” and/or service running on your system.

1. Are your monitors configured to “Extend” or “Duplicate” the display?

2. Is Rhino locked up and non-responsive? Or is it just that the viewports have gone dark? In other words, can you still mouse around and click on or run commands? If Rhino is indeed locked up, then I’d like you to “force a dump” of the Rhino process and send me the resulting DMP file… That should show me exactly where Rhino is spinning… See the attached PDF on how to do that if you’re not already familiar with the procedure. Note: This will also show me if the problem is related to the NahimicOSD.dll I mentioned above…and is how I was able to find that problem in the first place.

Creating a dump file for Rhino.pdf (761.0 KB)

Thanks again for your feedback and patience on this…until I can repeat this, or know where things are locking up, it’s going to be quite difficult to fix…so I really appreciate all the help.

-Jeff

1 Like