Problem with Picture frames

I’ve been working with a scene with lots of picture frames with transparency (png). Somehow this morning all my picture frames disappeared …
They are there but they are now completely transparent so I cannot see them unless I switch to wireframe mode and all I can see is the outline of the frame.
Somehow the alpha channels are not functioning properly. If I go to the material and I turn off the transparency the image appears but turning on transparency makes the whole image transparent, not only the masked areas.
However, the scene renders correctly, so it seems to be only a viewport problem.
I rebooted and repaired Rhino 64bit installation to no avail.
However, I loaded the 32 bit version of Rhino and loaded the same scene and the problem doesn’t occur and the transparency works fine and the picture frames display correctly masked.
Any ideas?

EDIT: See attached. This is what I have to do after creating a picture frame in order to show up. Again, it doesn’t happen with the 32bit version and it never happened before in my regular 64bit version.
However, although the image shows up in the viewport with transparency, it looses the transparency when I render …

Alpha issue

SOLVED I ended up uninstalling/installing and it’s fine now.

I was to quick responding. The problem has not gone away. Now the picture frames show up in the viewport but they doen’t render at all …
I REALLY need help here . Thanks.

Hello - is RhinoRender the current renderer, or VRay? It looks like Vray to me, what happens if you switch to Rhino?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
I’ve tried with both. Even starting an empty scene and trying to create a picture frame gives me an empty frame. See attached demos.

Picture frame 64bit
Picture frame 32bit

vray reports missing the alphas from the cache but I’ve cleared the cache and redone the frames.

It’s driving me crazy … not sure what the heck has happened but like I said, it doesn’t happen in the 32bit version: The frames display fine and render fine in Rhino renderer (I dont have vray installed in the 32bit version)

I’m having the same issue. All of my picture frames will not show up in the viewport, however, they will show in V-Ray render. Does anyone have any solutions to the issue?

ahhhhhh im having similar problems with picture command in v6 that i never had with v5
picture frames (or whatever they are called now) keep disappearing - its killing me! ive tried many workarounds and not sure what the fix is.

Hello - if you select a picture object, does Properties > Material show a material with a legit image as a texture?

-Pascal

1 Like

yes - legit images.

if i switch to grayscale in the material properties page, the images sometimes will show, but then sometimes they get corrupted and go blank or turn into blurry gradients

Hi Daveed - when this happens, can you please try Reparameterize > Automatic Does that do anything good?

-Pascal

1 Like

thanks! that helps with a picture that has been switched to grayscale. but not allowing me to see color, when i uncheck grayscale the frame turns white, or grey when i toggle ‘self illuminate’

this is still an issue. picture frames do not work. sometimes work if i grayscale

@daveed-kapoor can you post the results from Help > System Information ?

1 Like

thank you jesterKing! here it is, let me know if anything is wrong on my end…

Rhino 6 SR3 2018-3-13 (Rhino 6, 6.3.18072.11251, Git hash:master @ c0a2028629d3ed3a538f0854c8ba021ae8c678b7)

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

GeForce GTX 960/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 388.13)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: None
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 10-27-2017
Driver Version: 23.21.13.8813
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI”
C:\Program Files\Brazil 2.0 for Rhino 6\Brazil.20.v60_x64.rhp “Brazil for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

There doesn’t seem to be anything amiss AFAICS, but I’ll have to test with RPCs tomorrow.

@daveed-kapoor can you attach or send me a file with your picture frames that fail? If you can’t share publicly please use www.rhino3d.com/upload and set nathan@mcneel.com as recipient.

Thank you.

/Nathan

1 Like

EDIT: The problem described below occurs with vray 3 release 360592 (latest nightly) and also with the previous one 360494
I’ve just installed the release 36001 and the problem does NOT occur.
@pascal , can you pass this to the folks at Chaosgroup? It seem to be a vray issue … or should I refer them to this forum?

Once again I’m having problems with 2d cutouts (pictureframes).
Every vray3 release the problem seems to be changing. (see OP above)
This time, I get no rgb output only the masks instead. The same scene in vray 2 renders fine. All the silouettes were created originally as pictureframes and therefore became Rhino materials. Rhino renderer works as expected and renders ok, but when I render with vray3 the problem shows up.
This seems to be consistent with what @daveed-kapoor describes (“grayscale”)

See attached:

Viewport

vray2

vray3

Hi @dale

I moved from Rhino5 to Rhino6. The picture frame in block doesnt appear any more in print :frowning:

What do I need to do?

Hello - I see that as well -if I print to Rhino pdf - paper works, and at least some other pdfs - is that what you see?

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-45352

thanks,

-Pascal

Open the attached file SampleBlockPrintBug.3dm (365.5 KB) in Rhino 6.
File-> Print -> does not show the pictures.
code to generate Pdf output using FilePdf -> does not show the pictures.

the file contains a block with text and pictures.

What’s the solution to get the pictures?

I just tested the file, but the picture file “penguins.jpg” is not present so I just replaced it with another jpg and it works fine. It previews and prints fine too but have to print to raster since Rhino is still not smart enough to print a picture as raster and the rest of the data as vector.