NVIDIA GTX 1070 FOR RHINO - Please help

Hi everyone,

I’ve been reading loads of things about whether the Geforce GTX or the Quadro cards are better for programs like Rhino, Autodesk, VRay, etc. Some people say to definitely get the GTX as it’s more powerful and worth the money whereas some people say to get the Quadro as it’s better suited to the programs I’ll be using.

I’ve been going a bit crazy because of this contradiction (some people saying GTX works really well with these progams and others saying they couldn’t use GTX with Rhino) and so I need some advice from experienced users.I don’t really want to pay £400 for a GTX 1070 to find out that it isn’t compatible with Rhino or other programs.

Has anyone been using the GTX 1070 (or similar) with Rhino?

Any suggestions on a good graphics card would be great. I want to sort this once and for all. Thanks!

You are talking about the third card on this list. It’s twice as fast as every rhino known to mankind…

But does it work well with Rhino? Or will there be possible crashes?

Probably: Rhino 5 requires OpenGL version 2.0 and Shader version 1.2

As Zatheris might say, there is much sadness here.

If it doesn’t have ECC memory, generally a “Workstation” card is a overpriced “Gaming” card with a underwhelming thermal solution, and drivers that might be a little better for CAD.

The triangle’s don’t care whether or not they are drawing a wave of Orian risen on top of “Prominade of the Gods,” or a vase for 3D printing.

The GTX 1070/1080 likely will be my next video card.

My W540 laptop has a Quadro K2100. My Desktop has an old GTX 570. I wish my life was as as stable as Rhino running on the GTX 570.

1 Like

Me too as with my GTX970… Stable but covered with human dust and random cat hair (the last time I looked)

Cat fur improves and the associated cat source improves all dwellings, houses, and apartments.

1 Like

I have two 980ti, the previous of GTX and I’ve had 0 problems.

I have been thinking about the same thing over the past few days. My work desktop has a GeForce GTX and it has always felt slightly laggy with rotating large models and hiding showing etc.
I tested the same file on a dell precision laptop with a Quadro card and it’s another story - it is much more responsive.
I’ve always used Quadro on my personal laptops and rhino seems to work much better.

I would definitely recommend Quadro.

1 Like

Now that’s precise like circles in Sketchup. :wink:

From my previous research on various websites that benchmark cards, it seems that gaming cards can perform very well in comparison to workstation cards but is very dependent on the application. For instance, a GeForce Gtx card will perform equally or better to a Quadro in AutoCAD but it will perform poorly in Maya in comparison. Some cards have drivers that are best suited for certain programs. Can someone point us to some resources that indicate Rhino specific benchmarking on various cards?

Additionally, something to consider is rendering engines you might use may have better performance on workstation cards vs. consumer cards so it’s hard to pinpoint an exact answer for your needs. (Say, render in native Rhino vs Vray vs Maxwell for instance)

One used to be able to generalize that design representation and raytracing were two different creatures, but with GPU raytracing in programs like Maxwell, more rendering is done by the GPU than the CPU.

But while you are designing, a fast CPU will help because it’s not easy to multi-thread 1+1.

For design, I opt for fast single core performance on perhaps a quad, but for raytracing more cores are usually better–even of they are relegated to feeding the video card things to do.

If a video card works better for one application than the other, it’s because the marketing people crippled it so.

[I once did at least 40 hours of Maya tutorials before I realized I hated the program. It’s supposed to be a good animator, though. As long as I don’t have to use it.]

Also, i’m assuming everyone has read this: http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/rhino5videocards and this: Holomark 2 Released!

I have had a few cards over the last couple of years but
the best card I have found is the NVIDIA GTX 980 - zero issues
Neon Brazil Vray and large 500mb files- they do like a bigger power supply than recommended

I hope I havent jinxed myself now!

The video card page is gettin’ a little stale ain’t it?
(ducks)

If you look at the Holomark 2 release post, you would find GTX 1070 got beaten by GTX 980 and most Quadro cards for GPU score. I guess gaming benchmark is a somehow different from how Rhino uses the GPU.

The one year old $500 GTX-980 and the new $350 GTX-1070 is a video card are in a different price class, so if the high end card wins out then, it’s not such a miracle to me.

If you are looking at the same tests, you may notice that the processor clock rate for systems are:
GTX-1070: 2.67Ghz
GTX-1080: 4 Ghz

These are the CPU Scores:
GTX 980: 21321
GTX 1070: 10957

I would guess that the GTX 1070 machine is CPU-bound. And for the buck, Quad gaming chips such as 6700k still rock.

I don’t know why, but Iget ok scores on my 1070.

AA plays a difference as you can see, but I get close to 20k at 8xAA on that “old” xeon cpu.

@Halo and @qaz123:
I updated a screenshot including two test-runs with Halo’s GTX 1070 (NoAA & 8xAA)

// Rolf

I’m a bit late…

I’ve bought this GPU few weeks ago, and I can confirm that about now it’s not fully compatible with Rhino 5.
The card carries 8GB of DDR5 RAM but Rhino only recognizes 4GB.

I’ve made the full transition to Rhino a couple of months ago, but this is very disappointing. I don’t wanna go back to 3ds Max, Revit and AutoCAD. I love Rhino and I’m really hoping this gets a fix.

1 Like