New layer shows in all the layout details

Sorry @John_Brock could you elaborate on what “layout on” does on windows, I’ve never heard of that command. Thanks

I think the Help file can do a better job of that:
https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/7/help/en-us/index.htm#commands/layer.htm%3FTocPath%3DCommands|Alphabetical|L|_____2

Layout On/Off

When on, the layer is visible and you can see objects on this layer in a layout or detail.

Layout / Detail Color

The default screen display color for objects on this layer in a layout or detail.

Layout / Detail Print Color

The color assigned to the layout or detail layer for printing only.

Layout / Detail Print Width

The line width assigned to the layer for printing only. Specify a line width assigned to the layer for printing only or specify No Print if you do not want the layer or detail to print. Change the properties of individual objects with the Properties command.

As far as I remember, you can go to the layout detail, right click on layer and set “layer on in this detail only”, which turns it off in all other details.

Thanks John, I asked because I wasn’t clear what you meant by your expression “layer on”
I know all those commands and they are already implemented on Mac, actually as far as I know, the Layout functionality on both is the same with the same limitations.
The hide/show in detail command is also implemented on Mac. The problem being here is that after you have created and organized many details, if you create a new layer it’ll populate on all of yours details, and in order to deactivate that layer you have to go one by one in all your details, imagine the pain of doing that for 100 details!
There is not possible workaround for that neither on windows or Mac that I’m aware of, or am I mistaken?

Yes, I know you can do that. But that is not gonna solve your problem. I mean, you can activate every detail and turn off the new created layer for every detail. But we are looking for a better solution, aren’t we?

Edit: Sorry I misunderstood what you wrote, are you sure you can do that on windows?

It’s like the HideInDetail command, but it’s on a layer basis.
When you have a layer you don’t want to display in a Layout, double click in the Detail and in the Layer Panel, in the Layout On column, turn off the lightbulb.

AutoCAD has a layer setting that is something like “automatically hide this layer in all new paperspace”.
Rhino does not have an equivalent tool if that’s what you’re looking for.

Yes, this is what I’m talking about. But you have to do it for every detail, right?

I think so, yes.

I think this command does exactly what we are looking for, but only at windows. @John, isn’t there a command that turns on the layout detail layer in the active detail only? Right click on the layer when inside the detail…

Sorry, I don’t really know. I do not use these tools. My Rhino expertise is in other areas. I think @mary is the expert on these tools.

There have been many topics about this issue and also on the windows side. I have used the windows version in the past, V5, and as far as remember, the limitation was there too. I would love to be corrected though!

I just looked in the Mac V7 WIP and do not see the tools there either.
My guess is they are not compatible with Mac’s forced multi-document setup.
In Windows we can run multiple instances of Rhino (if we have the resources), and each instance is a single document.
That isn’t allowed on Mac and it limits some tool. I think this may be one of those cases.

Are yo talking about this?

On Mac is a different panel

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 23.14.03

Maybe that’s it.

Those are the tools that controls the visibility per detail. It’s a bit different from windows but same functionality as far as I know.

Here and here are a couple of topics regarding these limitations.

Here is the functionality I had on my mind!!!

Turns off all the layers but the layer in active detail. This we are missing on mac :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m glad you were right!! Can we have this on Mac @dan?

Yeah! I hope so, this would extremely facilitate the work.

Added to the Pile as a Future Wish item:
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-58538

4 Likes