Incorrect Texture Mapping

Hi, I’m writing this new post so it is easier for anyone else having problems with texture mapping in ShapeDiver to find this discussion. However, this post continues from another post with a different title: ShapeDiver model really slow - #3 by fernandomaytorena

Hi @pavol,

Previously, I mentioned I had a problem with a black square showing on a texture from my table model within the ShapeDiver viewer, and you mentioned you just changed the texture mapping of the mesh from planar to box and that solved the problem.

Effectively, changing the texture mapping from planar to box did remove the black square from the table’s outer edge. Nonetheless, afterward, I added a boolean toggle to let the user “explode” all the table’s components so the user would be able how the table is assembled; this exposed the same black texture problem in the inner edge of the table.

I want to mention that I already tried using BoxMapping…

…and all of Human’s texture mapping components, including the Custom Mapping using the own mesh’s data for the UV texture coordinates, and the textures are still not displaying correctly. Also, I did check for any duplicates or overlapping geometry, as you suggested on the previous post.

Finally, the same edge texture is displaying somewhat weirdly in different locations. It seems as if light is affecting differently how the texture displays in different objects, even though they are in the same plane. And the light/shadow in the “curved” (actually a polygon, as per your suggestion) edge seems faulty.

I want to mention that I have the material’s Flat Shading property as False…

…and the mesh’s creases are weld.

I know these are many different “requests” on a single post. Although I feel these are all related to texture mapping and your insights may help most of us struggling with textures.

I’m attaching the Grasshopper definition to this post, and I’ll leave the link to the table’s model in the ShapeDiver viewer.

https://app.shapediver.com/m/mesa-1-9

MESA 1 SD1.gh (641.7 KB)

Best regards,

Reviewing Grasshopper projects is beyond the scope of this Forum so please create a minimum version of the definition isolating the problem. If you are interested in private support contact sales via the contact form at www.shapediver.com.

Try to flip normals for meshes that appear different to the rest.

Welding edges can cause undesirable rendering so you can keep the meshes separate to get sharp appearance of the edges.

Hi Pavol,

I’m sorry for the inconvenience, I did not mean to upset anyone. Apart from the minimum version of the definition, I did follow every other suggestion on how to get support on the forum. I did not create a minimum version as I have no idea where the problem might be, as I’ve read every resource on your documentation and I’ve uploaded the model many times with adjustments and the problem is still there.

Nevertheless, I’ll try your suggestions again, and I’ve already contacted a sales representative for additional support.

Thanks again for taking your time to help us.

Best regards,