Font Substyles Bug?

i have no idea how to use specific substyles of a specific font. creating a text i can choose only the main font, the others are strictly hidden. after fiddling around i noticed that i can right click the font in the editor which reveals a font and show fonts but not all work. only substyles like bold italic but something like light, extra light or ultra black independent of the font does not reflect in the viewport.

also is there no quicker way to select substyles? marking the text in the editor then right clicking it, to select font then select show fonts, to select some further styles, seems ridiculously inconvenient and counter-intuitive or am i missing something obvious?

anybody out there who can confirm or resolve this?

i tried with a different theme but the issue persists.

here you can see, with a pretty standard font, when i select the substyle light or book it changes only in the editor, but not in the viewport. the same with substyles like black.

other fonts show substyles in the pull down menu, which does not give a good overview to select having quite a mess there, but i did not figure why some show substyles and other not at all. then again having to select the text in the editor to go through that procedure is very time consuming…

Hi @encephalon,
I am struggling with that too. I tried windows, and its pretty funny. We are using Helvetica Neue in the office, but windows does not enable the family that is fine on mac and vice versa. Quite a head-scratcher…when I need to work on both platforms, all the annotations in the file is corrupted.

I see this list -

I have not, I think, done anything special, it’s just what shows up - do you not see a similar list with the sub types?

-Pascal

unfortunately not all, special font types like thin or anything beyond the regular, light, bold, black and what not, does not seem to appear.

Hello - let’s pick a specific one - do you see, for example, Baskerville Semi-Bold? Avenir Next Ulltralight?

-Pascal

Hi @pascal,
I can see both of the fonts you mentioned. Anyway if I attempt to install Helvetica Neue lt std, the family won’t show up. Are fonts installed by user supported?

It seems a bit silly to install another HE font, but right now I am trying to find Helvetica Neue font that would work on windows version of Rhino. And this is the only one so far that partly show up in Rhino on windows.

Helvetica neue lt std 2 Helvetica neue LT std

i also cant get this one running completely it shows the same symptoms as described above.

they or lets say these complete families seem to work in their entirety.

Not optimistic after all… Rhino 6: Fonts Unavailable

@Pascal,
I tried to install font Nudista, Helvetica Neue Std and Pro and neither of the special font member of these families are not visible on mac. Regular font only. It seems to me as newly installed font families were not supported.

Hi @Pascal,
can you reproduce the same behaviour with user-installed fonts?

@ encephalon, can you observe this with user-installed fonts?

yup, and diving into this topic once more scrutinizing one of my favourite fonts, i suddenly had a hunch.

it seems from all the fonts i have checked only the open type fonts OTF are causing these problems and only show the first main font. also the font you are using in that other thread is an otf by the way.

@lowell could you pls reopen this isue? this is driving us nuts and eh snickers, the interface is basically completely or lets say to the extent of the OTF unusable in this state…

i dont want to pin it down to OTF but this is what these few which had the same issue had in common. all ttf fonts seem to work properly even though how they are presented in one long list is pretty insane either to be frank…

i mean the the main issue is here that its so messed up that i try to keep away from changing fonts at all, which is rather fatal since i need that for working with plans and drawings very often.

Hmmm, are you sure about the OTF? I’ve tried like 3 ttf fonts (Neue Haas Grotesk, Roboto…) and the result is the same. No substyle of the family visible in Rhino…

For me, none of additionally installed fonts works, sadly. :sleepy:

hm you are right, roboto ttf does not work either… so maybe it still depends on the naming.

!!! emergency !!!

guys this is absolutely imperative that you fix this. right now i need to use a corporate font which has only 3 styles: bold regular and light , and light does not work. i am basically screewed using rhino 7 regarding fonts.

i mean it is already awkward enough how the fonts work and how to select hidden substyles but if simple fonts do not even work at all i would call that a catastrophe.

i can pm the font if somebody wants i can not share it public but please this is really breaking it.

@lowell @pascal @stevebaer sorry you keep bothering but this is really an important part of the documentation and design process, can somebody please comment on what is going on?

1 Like

for what I can tell fonts work as expected. I came here through the other thread in which you say you’re using Big Sur. Im still on Catalina 10.15.7

@Gijs that exact font is one that works yes try universe, or something more contemporary like mark pro. some styles do not show all substyles in that list you posted. to get to them is very difficult and mostly dont work then. you can select them in the show fonts panel but they would not activate in the viewport.

also some of the helvetica neue font families do not work. some are OTF fonts some are TTF it is not concludable what the problem is.

edit: for instance Frutiger or Futura are also very standard fonts, none of the substyles show up in the text proerties and half of the substyles dont work at all. it activates in the font panel and in the properties text panel but not in the view port

here i tried with Frutiger

oh and it neither worked on Mojave nor on Big Sur. i dont have much hope that it will work on Catalina which am going to downgrade to now despite all that.

these are the one that Show up win the list and they seem to work:

I found a free for personal use font with this name (OTF) and I can confirm that this one only shows one font. I don’t have Rhino 5 installed anymore on this Mac, but in V6 it also doesn’t work.