Font problem! urgent

Dear Rhino community,
I work with the font tool in the mac version… the problem is Rhino will not use the right cut.
When I go to font tool it let me choose the font out of the fontbook, but it will always use the first font cut out of all the font cuts and not the one selected. I want the ultra condesend version, but it only uses the roman version. How can I solve this problem?
Thank you so much!

Has really no one here the same problem or a better a solution?

I work with the font tool in the mac version… the problem is Rhino will not use the right cut.

Sorry, I don’t understand what you are trying to do. Do you want Rhino to use a different font (for it’s menus and dialogs, etc)? Or something else?

i think visual is saying:

• run the Text command
• click an insertion point
• in the panel next to font, click ‘select’
• in the font panel, navigate to Helvetica
• Helvetica has 6 different styles ‘light, oblique, regular, bold, etc.’
• it doesn’t matter which one you pick as they’ll all be rendered the same way in rhino which in the case of helvetica, i think it’s using ‘regular’…

(though rhino’s text panel does offer the Bold and italic options… i think visual wants to use a light/slim font)

Hi!
Thanks Jeff. That is what I ment. How can I get Rhino to NOT use the regular? I NEED and it MUST be the ultra condensed style. Any ideas?
Thank you!

1 Like

Yeah, I see that too. Windows seems to work correctly in this respect, at least for the fonts I have here.

Also, I don’t know if this is a problem with just my Mac or all, but once I hit the select button to pick a typeface, the entire interface slows to a crawl. Navigating in the font selection box is like being stuck in molasses here.

–Mitch

I also have no problem on windows, just with the mac!
How do you solve it?

Thanks @jeff_hammond! Logged as MR-1431. Yeah, @Helvetosaur, I’m feeling the molasses here too when in the Font selector. I’ve seen this sort of behavior before in other applications though…my instinct is that this is not Rhino for Mac’s fault. Do you have Adobe CS installed, by any chance?

Photoshop CC 14.2.1 x 64…

Yeah, I have CC installed as well. Just a hunch…but my Font Book is getting really packed and I think that’s grâce à Adobe. I’ll look into this more. Thanks.

I have no problems with photoshop cs3 and cs5…

As a work around, could you export your design to illustrator and change the font type there?

no, need .iges format

maybe duplicate the exact style of font you need then rename it? then rhino will only have one choice when that font is selected.

(haven’t tried it and I’m not even sure if osx wil let you do that with preinstalled fonts)

Good idea, but I cannot rename the font. I installed it under another name, but the style is saved in the file. I moved it to another folder, just this style, but this did not work either ;-(. Still get the roman style, not the condensed.

Hi Dan,
Do you have any idea?
Thanks again!

Probably not going to get resolved right now, you’ll most likely have to wait until they can hook this up - don’t know when that might be. --Mitch

I see. No good news… Thanks Mitch!

Mange vos fonts in CC @dan

FWIW, I did find the clicking in the viewport while having Text & font options open helps speed up redraw.

Just wondering if issue is in the text Properties panel ? It is like you cannot edit text position in the same panel stated in the following post.

Look below … maybe it is there and it’s relation to FontBook ?

Your current options seem to be between; regular - bold - italic.

Mes polices goûtent comme poulet :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, I’ve been trimming my fonts down, but I’m not getting any speedup. Oh, well…it was a hunch.

FWIW, I did find the clicking in the viewport while having Text & font options open helps speed up redraw.

Just wondering if issue is in the text Properties panel ? It is like you cannot edit text position in the same panel stated in the following post.

Look below … maybe it is there and it’s relation to FontBook ?

Let me check on this. Good lead, thanks.

(This font-window-slow-as-molasses issue is recorded in MR-1439 for your bureaucratic pleasure.)