Cage edit command that can adapt to any form automatically

It took me some time to realise that I had to Unblock the GH assembly “Fattener”, but now it last_deform2.gh works.
This is the type of deformation tool that I am looking for!

The Grasshopperplayer with cageMorphPlayer.gh only lets me select one grip at the time, and reacts very slow on my laptop.
(But my recently bought “refurbished laptop” has more issues, like render problems. Maybe it is my machine. Must have a look at better hardware).
Since I am not a GH user, and I try to avoid the learning curve for GH, I hope this functionality will make it to the standard UI of Rhino.
I will play some more with this GH definition, see how I can use it for SubD by using the control cage.
Hope that it will accept SubD objects and surfaces as input soon.
Question:I tried to set multiple meshes as the meshes to deform, but that does not seem to work.
Can I fix that?

Thank you for your help!

HI,

When i try to install Fattener i get this message:

Don’t know much about grasshoper but it seems to be someting missing… Can you help me to find where to get it?

Also, can this be used to modify a SubD instead of a mesh?

Thanks a lot for your best attention,
Hugo

HI Daniel , first of all thanks for your answer to this post

i never used rhino or GH box morphing and now i am getting unconsistant results.

i made a closed quad mesh to be used as a referemce box , i then copied it and randomly deformed the target box 1 by acting on contro, points but the result is this

this was just a quick test but i was expecting to get the hand remapped on new box and deformed according to new box. would you please tell me what i am doing wrong ?

can the control boxes be created as a quad mesh ?

thanks

2021116 deformable_hand.gh (424.1 KB)

I just downloaded your GH file and the morphing works fine.

Have you clicked the button?

1 Like

Hey Daniel, I seem to be missing a block when I open your file up.

Hi @michael.martin,

You need to install the .gha from the start of this post to open the definition

i have also placed the “Fattener.gha” into the libraries folder but still cant seem to get it to work.

It’s the .gha file you need to put in the libraries folder, not the .gh definition.
The .gha also needs to be unblocked
Then it will work after you close and reopen Rhino

It was the unblocking. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello Mr. Siegrist
Please can you help me with deforming the shoelast. I cant do this. Maybe Im doing something wrong, but dont working me.
Need to deform my SubD shoe last by Cage and get the new one SubD shoe last.
Is CageMorphPlayer the right tool for it?
Many thanks for the help.
Michal Pavlas
cageMorph.3dm (2.5 MB)

What doesn’t work for you @shoemaker.pavlas ?

1 Like

Hello and many thanks for the answer.
Maybe I not realy know which Cage is Reference and which one is Target.
Please can you for me Rename the Mesh Buttons? For easy understanding?
Many thanks for your help.
Michal Pavlas

po 20. 2. 2023 v 13:44 odesílatel Martin Siegrist via McNeel Forum <notifications@mcneel.discoursemail.com> napsal:

I renamed the layers in the Rhino file.

cage_morph_last.3dm (2.5 MB)
cage_morph_last.gh (10.9 KB)

1 Like

OK.
Many thanks to you.
I will try it.
Once question.
Is any way to do same process, but with Subd shoe last?
Thanks

po 20. 2. 2023 v 14:02 odesílatel Martin Siegrist via McNeel Forum <notifications@mcneel.discoursemail.com> napsal:

Not much different:

cage_morph_last_subd.gh (12.8 KB)
cage_morph_last_subd.3dm (2.5 MB)

3 Likes

Hello Mr. Siegrist
Many thanks for your help.
Now with the SubD working very fine.
Thank you one more.
Have a nice day.
Michal Pavlas

po 20. 2. 2023 v 14:22 odesílatel Martin Siegrist via McNeel Forum <notifications@mcneel.discoursemail.com> napsal:

1 Like

Any way we can get this to work with a polysurf?

Yes, I can update it to do this. I’ll try and post a new version soon.

Awesome! Thanks.

Here’s a version that should work with any geometry - Breps, trimmed surfaces etc.

MeshCageMorpher.gha (11.5 KB)
morphdemo.gh (138.8 KB)

Because Space Morphs of NURBS objects don’t always end up with the same number of control points as they started with, it’s not possible to precompute the weights like it is with the point version, so it will be slower. If morphing Breps, you might find it helps to mesh them and use the mesh for previewing changes while setting up the morph, and only replace it with the actual Brep at the end.
If any control points or vertices of the input geometry lie exactly on a face of the reference mesh, it will give strange results. This can generally be avoided by scaling the reference mesh up a little.

10 Likes