Custom Cage edit

Hi , is there any way to cage edit an object wit a custom cage ?
for example if i want to cage edit this object ,the problem is that it will deform the object at very first moment when i choose the cage as the control object . Please note that the cage is released and is a custom cage .

2 Likes

Hello- not with a cage there is not, but you can use a surface in the object or any pre-exsting surface or curve as a control object.

RH-2584 Pre-deformed cages do not work

-Pascal

2 Likes

Blender can do that , isn’t this a software bug? Can I fix it with a script or plug-in?

if you want to squish marshmallows that may be the better tool for you. i would not attempt such a surface with a cage, unless you have time to lose or dont know what you are doing.

i think you are confusing some terminology. try adding “wish” to your topic’s title.

you could fix it with blender :wink:

3 Likes

I think nope, it works as usual
Hi Hamed

Maybe, with right tool.
But what is the goal, what geometry, editing from where to where ?
Can you provide more detailed info or file?

1 Like

so thats why mcneel adds subd modeling from rh7 :wink:?

imagine that you have a complex surface and you want to make adjustments to it but more artistic , and this is a general question not case related , thanks for participation btw .

Very thanks @eddi for your effort , but this is a general question not case related , after release cage , when you want to cage it back it’ll deform main object which is clearly a bug ,imagine that you want CE a curved geometry , you cant deal with that with a rectangular cage , it will not maintain the curvature , and it doesn’t matter why do you want to do with cage , what is matter is that it won’t work in that area .

1 Like

i am sure you will find subd being able to squish far more than just a few marshmallows. :man_shrugging: :wink:

it would be better explained if you would show what you actually want to achieve rather than being all general and smart about what rhino cant do. we might find a real solution pretty fast instead of punching artistic holes into the cheese.

2 Likes

Subdivision modeling is pretty common ( from 70’s) that even earlier 3d softwares which used for aircraft design for US , where polygonal , also the nurbs modeling softwares output is a mesh with a given tolerance (for machining , printing ) which means that the final result is a mesh(or facets) , and also other design standard softwares such as NX , SW ,CATIA , alias , altair , where actually using this very standard modeling , but the point is that some starter users , think that there is only nurbs modeling while actually there isn’t that much of difference in between , but once you actually truly understand degree 3 , you’ll be able to model anything precisely within both methods

i do want nothing to achieve , custom Cshapes already exist in blender and NX as far as i know (others should be ) and whats matter is why the H should i cage edit a curved object with rectangular cage ? this is the biggest weakness ever , and yes this is a bug , this is what matters .

I think adding a modified cage is a good idea.

4 Likes

right, hypothesising as a saturday night dance out :face_with_hand_over_mouth: why not.
my point is that you might find a different maybe better way, but with no real project/situation at hand we might not find out.

also if you mark this topic as wish it will become clear that you are aiming for an improvement, regardless if one can call it a bug or not.

1 Like

so this IS a bug , finally, thanks alot , but
how ? How mark this as wish ?

not what i wrote but suit yourself.

if you have decided what it should be then add either wish or bug to the topics title

1 Like

Opening up for premodified cages would also open up for pausing a cage. I think that could be interesting too, and I really can’t see any technological issues with adding a deformed cage as startingpiont, on the contrary. But obviously it is not a bug the way it works today.

My biggest issue with cageedit is that it isn’t history based in a way that it could be removed to restore the original geometry, like 3D Studio Max’s deformers can/could (haven’t used Max in 15 years so don’t know how it works anymore)

I would also like to see other deformers like cylinder, spline, sphere and surface.

3 Likes

I would love to see this feature in rhino. +1

1 Like

It seems to me this ought to be possible - a morph is always applied to original geometry, and not on previously morphed geometry, so the original is there, somewhere behind the scenes - I have asked for it in the past but nothing so far. I do not see anything in RC that might point at the original - it may be there but I do not see it yet.

-Pascal

2 Likes

You can use a curve or surface as the control object. (Not a polysurface or polycurve.) The curve or surface can have any shape in my experience.

Create the curve or surface to be used at the control object with the desired shape.
CageEdit
Select the captive object(s)
Select the control object
Modify the control object and captive object will change shape

2 Likes

thanks for all of effort and time you’ve spent, but i already knew that , and it wasn’t my purpose since its not gonna work in 3d space , i even tried to use a mesh as control object , but it will use only one edge , i guess that mcneel prevented this on purpose :joy:
also this is not a case related question , this is general :heartpulse:

the problem is the cageedit behavior itself , in other softwares they’ll start deforming object after we tell them to do that , but in rhino , cageedit command will start deforming as soon as we choose the cage , which means that it deforms depending on previous rectangular base cage not from when we want . im assuming that there should be a way to do this with grasshopper or scripting , but im not a code expert .

1 Like

Yes, if you don’t mind going to Grasshopper you can use this:

3 Likes