Bad quality of antialiasing in Rhino 6

How can I get an acceptable antialiasing quality in Rhino 6?
I tried everything but its still really bad. It’s so much worse than Rhino 5.

Check this:

Actually the picture doesn’t show how bad it is in reality… might be the browser or discourse

I tried all kind of settings from none to x8, GPU tesselation on/off… still very ugly.
What can I do to get better curves?

OpenGL.WireThicknessScale is on 0.7. Display driver is up to date.

Here my system info:
Rhino 6 SR7 2018-6-26 (Rhino 6, 6.7.18177.12461, Git hash:master @ effbbc4928a99d4811eda9c74e09584d07f0791c)
Licence type: Commercial, build 2018-06-26
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Tobias Nagel ()

Windows 7 SP1 (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: T7500

GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 398.11)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 6-1-2018
Driver Version: 24.21.13.9811
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Short answer: you can’t…

McNeel can’t be serious presenting this after working for years on the display engine…

2 Likes

What’s the long(er) answer. I agree with Tobias, the anti-aliasing is dreadful along with the clunky performance. I’ve taken to modeling in V5 and only using V6 when I need Make2D and Snapshots (although since the latest update, Snapshots is misbehaving. (see my post about that). Very depressing.

Dennis

I really wish I had one… :grimacing:

Please post screenshots of what this looks like at a value of 1

6 posts were split to a new topic: Rhino 6 Performance Problems

Hi Steve,
Even if a WireThicknessScale value of 1 would fix the AA problem (which is not actually) it would be no solution cause the WireThicknessScale patch is no option, it’s a requirement. Otherwise the thick wires are even more painful for the eyes than the lousy AA.

Posting screenshots here doesn’t work so well. I guess Discourse is adding compression to images. The antialiasing quality is much worse in reality than the images here suggest:

0.7 and 1 makes no difference. It’s getting better from 3 upwards… hahaha

Ok; I’m still working to improve the AA quality. The WireThicknessScale was really a stop-gap measure for people to get thinner wires which is why it was only exposed in a test command or in the advanced settings.

I don’t really know how to reply to comments like this other than to say I’m sorry and that I do hope to improve the situation. Anything more that I write will just sound like an excuse.

Yes, I’ve found that to be true as well. Not necessarily even the fault of the image display here, it’s just not possible to transmit the dynamic effect via a screen capture. And I think it also will depend on what kind of a screen you have.

Wire quality definitely depends on the screen you have. This is also why I sometimes don’t see the same effect that you may be seeing.

I take it you’re not shifting the blame to the screen now…
I’m using a Dell 2408WFP (x2) which is a great panel.
And Rhino 5 display is just smooth as silk.

I’m simply pointing out a fact, not shift “blame”.

Yes. That’s what I thought you do. Sorry for the expression.
And yes, it’s a fact that different screens display stuff very different.

Well, I’ve got 2 bog-standard Dell U2412’s 1920 x 1200. No 2, 3, 4, 5 or other K…

I wrote a TestLineSmoothing command over the weekend to prototype a fix for the issues you guys are seeing. I’m having trouble finding a monitor/computer combo at the office that repeats what you are seeing so I am doing a little bit of guessing while writing this code to see if makes a difference. NOTE: you need to have GPU tessellation enabled for this command to make a difference. All of the line smoothing ad “thinning” code is in the GPU tessellation shader. You may also want to reset your WireThicknessScale to 1 when trying this out.

This command is not available in the SR7 release candidate as that build is stabilizing and I don’t want to introduce potential problems in this branch of development. The command will be available in the next V7 WIP as well as a build of the day for SR8 (which I can get a link to you if you need one.)

It would be nice to know if this makes a difference for you guys.

Sounds great Steve!! Can’t wait to test it.
Will it be in the SR8 RC? I guess that’s available after SR7 is released?

This will be in the SR8 RC and is already available in the V7 WIP. The SR8 RC won’t be generally available until the end of the month.

@stevebaer , I noticed that surface edges in Arctic mode looks really nice. Thin and smooth. The antialiasing of edges in Arctic mode is bad while manipulating the view, but once the view is set the AA is very nice. Maybe you can make use of the code for the AA in other modes…? Just a thought

Hi McNeel Team
I too have the same problem as Tobais describes.
From my observations the issue is limited to screens with 1080p resolution. I have 3x LG 1080p screens on my desktop, (1x 27 inch and 2x 24 inch) and all 3 screens display Rhino 5 models smooth as silk and all Rhino 6 models are ghastly.
I also have a 15 inch laptop with a 4k screen and Rhino 6 displays beautifully on that screen.
Im guessing if I upgrade my 3 desktop screens to 4K the display issue will disappear. 3x 4K screens… sounds expensive.