Rhino 6 Performance Problems

are you referring to this post when you mention “clunky performance”?

I’m trying to get a better picture of the situation.

To begin with the latest update, selections are slow to “light up”, I’ve waited as much as a full second after clicking on a curve before the color changes to confirm it’s selected. Also, when changing views. there are delays in the redraw with even the simplest model. Also, the more complex the model, the more sluggish the performance gets, although most of my models are on the small side. Compared to V5 I feel like I’m running Windows 95! I’ve pasted my specs below.

Rhino 6 SR6 2018-6-26 (Rhino 6, 6.6.18177.16151, Git hash:master @ abeff9e9af62a0e02a9eb52efa77e179a682f2c7)
Licence type: Commercial, build 2018-06-26
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Dennis ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: SURFACE-BOOK

GeForce GTX 965M/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 388.08)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 10-19-2017
Driver Version: 23.21.13.8808
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.6.18177.16151
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.6.18177.16151
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\PanelingTools (6caed836-bc06-4ebc-b1fd-e10886a0dc94)\2017.11.15.520\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.6.18177.16151
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.6.18177.16151
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

This thread was about antialiasing quality… I think there are other threads on general display slowdowns…
Might try updating your drivers anyway…

Have you tried overriding the AA settings in your graphic driver control panel. At a speed cost, you should be able to throw more at it.

DONE ALL THAT! TRIED ALL THE TRICKS. TIRED OF V6. GOING BACK TO V5. YES, I’M SHOUTING!. I’m so fed up with 6 I could scream! Wait, I was…

2 Likes

yeah… sorry for your pain… :cry:

This sounds terrible and is exactly the opposite experience that we were hoping to see. Rhino 6 was designed to be much faster at handling the issues that you pointed out and I’m suspecting a single bug may be causing the lag on your system.

@jeff do you have one of these cards in your stockpile? Maybe there is some driver issue that we need to address here.

Are you using a 3D mouse? If so, try unplugging the mouse and restart Rhino and see if the response time changes.

Is the selection speed slow if you are just displaying only wireframe viewports?

Is the selection response time super slow even if you create a new model and just draw a box? If not, would you be willing to send me one of your 3dm files that you are seeing the delay with?

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this quick.

@stevebaer Nope… This is a mobile card… Looks like it’s a Surface (what does your surface have/use?)

-J

My Surface Pro has an Intel Iris. I think @scottd has a Surface with an nvidia gpu. Scott, do you have this GPU?

I’ve only noticed this with the latest release, although the performance of 6 has been worse than 5 from day 1. I do have a Surface with performance base. Once I have selected an object and then deselected it, if I then re-select it there is no delay. I’ve attached the problem file. Also, any driver updates from Nvidia support have made things worse. I’m pretty much stuck with the driver that Microsoft & Nvidia assembled for this machine.
DESK 011.3dm (3.4 MB)

I wonder if you ever had shader cache disabled in the past… I forgot what the command for it was, but it may be something to check… @stevebaer?

The command is TestShaderCache, but I doubt that is the problem as drawing of selected geometry uses the same shader that we use for drawing unselected geometry

@dmoyes can you send me
Z:\ART DIRECTION\DRAFTING\SEASON 6\SEASON 6 SWING SETS\EP 607\TV_STUDIO\DS-A0332.jpg
so I can try to see exactly what you are seeing? Also, is your shaded display mode customized in any way?

Here you go.

Thanks.

Thanks, I’m still seeing Rhino’s reaction time snappy after tweaking my settings to match yours. @scottd can you try running this model on your surface to see if it lags for you?

What model?

I was asking my coworker Scott to try your model since I think he has the same computer as you.

Oh, sorry. Thanks.

@theoutside do you have the same Surface as @dmoyes? It would be nice to see if we can repeat this with one of our computers.

dmoyes -
and Helvetosaur

I hear your pain, and completely agree. Notice the dismissive reaction to your posts. Notice the answer ALWAYS seems to be “Buy a new video card - we recommend one costing from $500 - $1000” with no likelihood of ANY noticeable improvement, for what’s SUPPOSED to be an UPGRADE from a previously OWNED License. This has been my experience. NO MATTER how many detailed posts, with pics, models specs, Software-settings-specs and hardware specs, DETAILED notes- some IN-PIC, and no matter HOW MANY TIMES I refer them to OTHER folks’ posts on the very same subject - and all I get is “Buy a new video card”, or "Update your drivers … NEXT ? "

The MOST FRUSTRATING thing is that there’s_SO_ MUCH TO LOVE in RH-6, and in many ways its FAR SMOOTHER than RH-5. That being said, I TOO have regular problems with MASSIVE slowdowns, mostly when sectioning, loss of anti-aliasing value when sectioning, NOTICEABLE slowdowns - generally - in my larger assembly models, PROMISES that in maybe 2-3 or 4 YEARS they MAY get around to a significant sectioning lack, and that doesn’t EVEN include the “tag-you’re-it” back and forth, sometimes exceptionally dismissive, regarding the replacement of a FREE, FAST and EFFECTIVE “NEON” with the “New and Improved” RAYTRACED mode that with all its promises STILL delivers SLOW performance and major noise in the final result. For anything I need above the RENDERED-mode viewport, I WOULD use RHINO RENDER, but with their ultimate plans to replace a PERFECTLY WORKABLE utility (RHINO RENDER) with RAYTRACED, it remains appropriate to be able to as YOU have mentioned, drop back to RH-5, use NEON where I want to run my BONGO ANIMATIONS when I need results superior to RENDERED Mode - use NEON, and when I need BETTER Then average (NOT PERFECT) results in my stills, use my RH-5 RHINO-RENDER. Only problem is, instead of improving an already EXCELLENT Materials engine with the enhancements they added in -6, they made THOSE IMPROVEMENTS INCOMPATIBLE WITH -5 !!! ONLY possible result ? Abandon ALL of them and stay with your R-5 approach to materials (“Custom”) so that what you do is backwards-compatible. WHO MADE THAT DECISION ?!?

Right now I’m working hard to adopt RH-6, but these issues make the COMMERCIAL RELEASE of RH-6 STILL_BETA at this point. Now consider- it was in “BETA” for an exceptionally long time for a BETA, and were it any OTHER system, would STILL be in “BETA” NOW, with MOST of our REAL “wish-list” items delayed for RH-7 with ANOTHER planned 2-3+ years thru BETA to Commercial release, instead of fixing CURRENT-RELEASE problems and correcting SHORTCOMINGS like missing functions inside existing processes (Sectioning for instance) in any CURRENT Release, and reserving NEW FUNCTIONS for Major releases only.

ALL of this being said, RHINO remains my go-to tool for my daily operations, all workarounds notwithstanding. My client can walk up behind me, look over my shoulder, I can pop my display to something they can better relate to, and have a detailed discussion with them regarding the current state of their design. And THEN I can set my viewport to an operating mode (my favorites are RENDERED with Shadows, and PEN with an all-white background) and run an animation over a lunch break that would take my competitor a week … (tricks available if interested) all using a card that was upper mid-level when new, and still remains capable today, so … . THIS IS HUGE (for me), but your experience may be different.

Interestingly, a NUMBER of AutoCAD “Workalikes” are rapidly catching up, and I look forward to experimenting with 2 of them I can mention, over this coming year.

dmoyes and Helvetosaur - I’ll continue to post progress and look forward to any progress YOU can share, and in the mean time wish you guys and ALL of our fellow RHINO’s ALL the VERY BEST from Texas (!) - Chuck.

2 Likes