3Dconnexion Spacemouse jumpy in Rhino 8 WIP

See the video here:

https://vimeo.com/867540591?share=copy

The view jumps at 5s and 13s into video while orbiting using a 3DConnexion Spacemouse in the Rhino 8 WIP beta downloaded and installed on 9/23/23.

I’ve uploaded the Rhino 3dm file as well.

Sim Test A.3dm (3.9 MB)

The problem has been repeatable when closing and reopening this model multiple times. It doesn’t happen at the same orbit orientations, but will happen every 10 to 20 seconds or so if I keep starting and stopping orbit motions.

I’ve attached my system info as well.

System Info.txt (3.0 KB)

3 Likes

Hi Mark,

I can repeat this behaviour in the Beta, but not in R7 (with an R7 version of your file). It would be helpful if you could add your 3Dconnexion Rhino settings and version info to the thread. Mine are:

I find that on some occasions when orbiting, if you release the pressure on the SpaceMouse the viewport image reverts to its position when you started to apply pressure. I think this is what you describe as a stutter.

This seems to be prevalent when you are zoomed in close to the model so you only see a small part of it, and almost non-existent when zoomed out so you see the model with space all around it.

The problem may not occur when you have an object in the scene selected (I have “Use Selected Item” turned on, that may be pertinent), certainly I could not make it happen during a short attempt.

I could not make it happen at all in R7, so given that, as I understand it, 3Dconnexion shares its settings and Rhino configuration between all instances of Rhino this does seem to be the result of a bug in the Beta. You might wish to add a “Bug” tag to the topic.

Regards
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy:

Thanks a lot for your quick feedback. I completely agree with your comments about this ticket. It is much more prevalent when zoomed in and happens much less when zoomed out. I couldn’t make it happen after selecting an item (I have the same “Use Selected Item” option checked). I’ve never experienced this behavior in V7. Here is my 3DxWare info:

3DXWare Settings
3DXWare About

I originally had an earlier version, 10.6.3, but updated to match your version of 10.8.15.3625. The behavior seems the same with both versions.

I don’t see how to add a “bug” tag to this topic in the forum.

1 Like

“bug” tag added.

2 Likes

I posted about the random jumps here, but now I found this thread.

Also just noticed a micro “stutter” like twice per second… framerate is very high (just got a new computer) but zooming through the model isn’t smooth (Testmaxspeed shows 60 FPS). EDIT: V7 exhibits that same stutter, while for example Blender using a SpaceMouse does not, so I guess not a beta issue but still perhaps a Rhino issue.

1 Like

Still very jumpy!

1 Like

Sometimes a ‘fresh install’ of drivers is the best solution, even though it’s an annoying procedure. :sweat_smile:

Sometimes Rhino updates will cause the need to fresh install 3D mouse drivers, cause we still live in the stone ages of 2D flat-land-mentality, and 3D mouses aren’t plug’n play yet.

Probably have to do fresh installs at least once or twice a yr. It can be super aggravating lol.

Depending on what you mean by this, you could be hitting a wall in terms of what Rhino is actually capable of relatvie to Rhino’s camera frustum’s target and camera limitations. Not to mention the particular settings or modes of 3D-navigation behavior you’re using or looking for.

There’s many things that could be causing jumpyness, also if GH is running calculations at the time or rendermesh settings etc.

V7 doesn’t jump around. Why would drives only affect V8?

1 Like

Idk, cause V8 is still beta? And Rhino still isn’t very 3D mouse friendly like other programs such as CATIA?

Same driver, different Rhinos, ergo the issue is in Rhino. Forget drivers.

1 Like

I found one case is caused by the cursor tooltip:

second factor is the V-Sync
Rhino WIP : Spacemouse Jumps - Serengeti (Rhino 8 BETA) - McNeel Forum

1 Like

Still super annoying in the released version of 8. Rhino 8 is great with some killer new features. This bug is really off putting :grimacing:

Mark

1 Like

I was just noticing that earlier. It’s definitely jumpy. :neutral_face:

I’m having a space mouse being shipped to the office. Once I have it I’ll see what can be done to improve performance.

6 Likes

I got a similar answer from Siemens when I reported a 3D Connexion issue and it’s fascinating to hear that CAD software developers don’t use this. They’re basically the 3D version of Wacom but with an even greater de facto monopoly (and also mandated where I work to avoid RSI)… :thinking:

1 Like

Hi Mark,

I thought I’d revisit this one and I’m pleased to say that I am not seeing the problem in Rhino 8.1.23321.3001, 2023-11-17 (a dujour release, between SRC’s) and with 3DConnexion driver version 10.8.16.

Are you seeing any improvement?

[EDIT: Correction, I do still see the problem if I have the Properties panel open and showing the Viewport properties. It is fine with an object’s properties displayed. It is fine with a different panel top of the stack. Retested after that factor deemed relevant in another SpaceMouse thread.]

Regards
Jeremy

1 Like

Thanks for your additional feedback Jeremy. I’ve confirmed that the jumping problem does only seem to happen when the Properties panel is current and showing the Viewport properties. The problem seems to go away with any other sub-option in the Properties panel current such as clicking the icons for “Safe Frame” and “Focal Blur.”

I’m currently running this version of Rhino with my SpaceNavigator:

Version 8
(8.0.23304.9001, 2023-10-31)

1 Like

So we’re on 8 SR1 now 3D Connexion Driver version 10.8.17 and an empty viewport still stutters with a SpaceMouse.

1 Like

It’s logged as RH-78291 Viewport jump when using a 3D Connexion device in Rhino 8

I added this thread

2 Likes

I noticed that if you have the viewport property panel open and move the camera with your 3D cursor the location of the camera updates, however the rotation of the camera stays the same.

I don’t know how to fix that problem but maybe that is the root cause?

1 Like