View capture constantly crashing

Trying to export some views from the model. I have managed to export a few but some views just keep crashing. I tried to update the drivers but no help.
This is the scene. Cant post file since its contest proposal.

Rhino 6 SR23 2020-2-24 (Rhino 6, 6.23.20055.13111, Git hash:master @ 8106edaa648ba209a8fc587f0f7fcccbaac09169)
License type: Commercial, build 2020-02-24
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Ivan (BR31)

Windows 7 SP1 (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: IVAN-WORKSTATIO

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 9-24-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 456.55

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-24-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5655
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.23.20055.13111
C:\Program Files\Geometry Gym\Rhino3d\BullAnt.rhp “bullant” 1.4.4.0
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.23.20055.13111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.23.20055.13111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.23.20055.13111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hello - I guess the first thing is to get the latest service release of Rhino, currently 6.29

https://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino-for-windows/6/latest

-Pascal

didnt help. my nerves are done. month of work in jepardy because i cant make exports. i know it doesnot need to be rhinos fault in this world full of faulty drivers (nvidia)…

is there any limit for how large image can be?

Well, your video card only has 2Gb of memory, so it is possible a very large image might exceed its capacity - I don’t know how Rhino works in this case. If the same image at a smaller pixel size does not crash, then that might be the problem.

You’re also on Windows 7, that is no longer ‘officially’ supported, but hopefully that is not part of the problem.

i dont think it may exceed 2gb its maybe 3000x3000pixels picture. ok lets find solution. is there a way i can jus render a pic and get the same result like in render mode in viewport? thing is i have never used rhino render and have no time to study it…

i need this picture which is displayed in rendered mode to save in high res. i tried and failed viewcapturetofile. now i need to render it so that it looks like in viewport.

when i try to render it it takes too much time. in viewport with render mode it is real-time, i dont need raytracing

I think it is very likely that the 2GB of VRAM is the problem here, like @Helvetosaur suggested. Try with lower resolutions first and see if that works.

1 Like

3000 x 3000 pix does not seem all that excessive… Does the same image not crash if you use viewport resolution in ViewCaptureToFile?

reason to upgrade my hw then :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

crashing still. this is strange because i have used exports like this many times before. it must be something with the scene.

now I have a question. wouldn’t it also depend on the size of the model if the VRAM is sufficient or not? if that is the case, then maybe you can reduce the complexity of your geometry/mesh in order to reduce the filesize and avoid potential VRAM issues.

Might be something with your textures… are they very hi-rez?

you can download a tool like GPU-Z. that allows you to monitor your GPUs VRAM utilization. then you can say for sure if it is about VRAM or not.

1 Like

not at all. i have hdri loaded in one enviroment setup but for the scene i am using sun to match photo date and time

i will have to look into that but please is there a way rhino can render real time like displayed in vieport? it take no time to orbit my model in rendered mode i just need to render the same thing in high res which would take maybe 4x more --> still no time

i mean when i hit render it is raytracing and takes TOO long - tens of minutes

Don’t know what you can do. Have you tried lower resolutions? Does it crash as well with lower resolution? If raytraced takes too long, you can also adapt the other display modes in the settings, so they fit you desired style a bit more. Do the other display modes also crash when you use ViewCaptureToFile?

yes in lowe resolution too. but not for all scenes. i think i will have to just wait for the renders. i can see no other way

Hello @all, I am experiencing the same problem as @ivan.galik when I try to ViewCaptureToFile a Perspective view using the ‘Arctic’ display mode. Just have updated my Graphics Driver, which was admittedly very old before, but that didn’t do the trick. The resolution that I am aiming for is not at all that high (maybe approx. 2500px longer side), is there another fix for this currently?
I could repeat the crash every time, and the GPU fan turns on real loud before rhino shuts down. So I am sure it is a GPU problem, Raytracing works fine however (Cycles is CPU based, or GPU based?)