VA window from grasshopper definition Improvements - suggestions - workflow

Hello,

still evaluating VA and I am trying to implement it in my workflow on a current project. This topic is related to this topic. So, right now I have created the gh definition attached WINDOW-CASE DEEP-2.gh (24.5 KB) .

1. Even if I have created the basic geometry of the window, I am certaing it takes some improvements in the actual code, so if you have any suggestion on it, please do not hesitate.
  2. I can understand it does not work the way other window-components work. For instance, It cannot get created from curve (following the dimensions of the curve - instead it grabs dimensions from input dimensions) (IMG 1)
  3. It does not have any materials on it, and I would like someone to point me where to look for tutorials on materials for VA components from GH definitions. (For instance, input material list for the component)
  4. The window, should pass through both wall components (stone wall and wooden wall). How can the gh definition get modified in order to create a hole for the window for both walls (consecutive ones)? (Schematic Section 1, IMG 3)
  5. The window gh definition should be modified in order to give much more detail in component. For instance, the “big-case” of the window should have its insulation layer inside, the structural assemblies it would require later on etc. Could anyone to point me to any available tutorial, topic etc and even have any suggestions on that? (Schematic Section 1)

Thanks in advance!

Hi @zabrielza,

Here you can find tutorials about styles created from Grasshopper definitions. There is one specific for doors and windows.

Materials cannot be assigned inside Grasshopper, so you have to create first the style with as many components as you need (for example the frame and the glass), and once you have it in the list of styles you can assign the materials like you would do with any other style.

An opening can’t go through two parallel walls, this is not possible either for non GH styles. If you want to manually create a hole in a wall you can use the _vaSubtractSolids command.

Regarding your last point, you can create the window model as detailed as you want, the only requirement is that it has to be created from Grasshopper. Those styles can also have a custom 2D plan representation. Custom 2D section representation is planned for future versions.

Kind regards

Hi @RamonC,

Thanks for the reply!

I have already watched that video and downloaded the gh definition. I am going to watch and analyze it again. The main thing is creation of the window from curve and as far as I remember I could not realize how the gh definition of the example door does it.

My last point actually ( did not explain it very well) has to do with the way I can give as much possible detail as I can on the window component.

a) The big-case of the window, must have its insulation layers (just like the walls). It could be created from wall components inside grasshopper?

After that, will be possible the connection of the insulation of the window big case and the insulation layer of the inner wall?

Which could be the best approach? Create a window with holes in the bottom layer of the “big-case”?

Hi @zabrielza,

I am not sure I understand what you mean by creating a window from a curve. If you mean a curve that would define the silhouette of the window, then it is not easy, because the way it has been designed is to define the profile by input values, like you mentioned.
The way to achieve that would be to create a curve parameter. Below I attached an example that you can use as a reference:

WindowCustomProfile(m).gh (36.9 KB)

Window Custom Profile.zip (37.2 KB) This is the .val created with the GH file above.

I don’t think that it’s a good idea to use a wall component inside a definition for a window, and since it would have to be horizontal on its top and bottom sides it wouldn’t work because walls currently can only be vertical. What I would do is to model everything including the surrounding insulation as the window model. If it gets too complex with Grasshopper you can create the style using a Rhino block instead, the drawback is that it won’t be parametric.

There won’t be a real connection, so it will depend on how the window is positioned relative to the host wall. You will have to place it in a way that the insulation layers look like they are connected.

@RamonC Thanks! Very helpful information. I am going to analyze the difinition and window component you have attached.