Wall accurate intersections optimal workflow

Hello,
I have followed this post https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/timber-i-joist-jji-joist-wall/92257

in order to create a wall (thickness 37cm) with 4 layers (1 outer wooden 2cm thick, 1 insulation 8cm thick, 1 empty-hidden 25cm thick and 1 inner wooden 2cm thick) like the pictures below. I am trying to find the best approach in order to have only two wall styles to use one the complex one as described above and a simple stone wall 50cm thick intersecting the way the sketch I am posting below (only the outer wooden layer 1 is intersecting with the stone wall). But the intersections I get are not optimal. How would you suggest me to proceed?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @zabrielza, since the short stone wall is intersecting with the outer wooden layer 1, I’d do it as a separate object. There are different ways to manage this:

1. Edit the Layer offset: you create the short stone wall as a different that is intersecting with the tall one, and you can edit the outer wooden layer offset, so it ends at the height of the stone wall.
  2. You create the stone wall as a different wall, also intersecting with the tall one. And then you use the vaWallExtend command to extend downards the tall one to the stone wall. Only the layer that is above the stone wall will be projected on it, and will update if you change the stone wall height.
  3. Same option as the one above, but you use an extrusion (or polysurface) as the stone wall.
  4. You create the stone wall as a solid and add it to the tall one with the vaAddSolids command.

I hope any of these options work out for you.

Hi @fsalla, I apologize for the delay on my response to your suggestions! I am trying to work with as many as possible different parts of VisualArq and that’s the reason.

I have proceeded with the No1 way (of your suggestions). But, as seen in the images below, I have divided the wall to different parts (4 parts) for each different situation in each section ( #1 layer1 bottom-offset: 0, #2 bottom-offset: 2.40m, #3 bottom-offset: 2.40m, #4 bottom-offset: 3.763). Question #1: Is this way acceptable (would you suggest it) in terms of better BIM model configuration?

Another thing I have noticed is that: VisualArq is certainly “Clever” and calculates the intersections between walls automatically. As you can see below (IMG-1) even if I have modelled the wall #4 according to the 2D elevation (with the black circle on it), calculated differently than expected the wall lenght and intersection with the other walls. Question #2: How is it possible to control those intersections and calculations of VA?

You can see how the VA-calculations control the actual Wall-connections.

Last thing is that, as you can understand, I am trying to manage working with VA to complete this building in 3D and later on get into more advance things (like exporting 2d drawings, implementing materials etc). In the image below, the door_system of the facade, is identical in the two long facades of the building. So, I have created a GH definition for a “window” component containing actually the door_system in order to create automatically a hole in the wall (with 4 layers). Question #3: Is this approach suitable in terms of better workflow or do you have something else to suggest?

Thanks again @fsalla !