Turntable request

Hi Forum, Could turntable have a turntable axis? Something to anchor around a fixed axis. I use a 3d connexion mouse and it would have to be constantly adjust to keep the model in the center of the viewport. —Mark

1 Like

Hi Mark - you mean, other than the vp center, as a thing the user can set?

-Pascal

Sorry to trouble you. The 3d mouse has an option to center around a selected item. That works for me. Just have to remember to unselect it when it isn’t needed. Thank you

Hi Mark - just to be sure - are we talking about setting the axis of rotation for the Turntable command? As far as I can see it only uses the vp center, here - do you want it to be able to just follow what the 3d mouse is using as a pivot?

-Pascal

Yes, I was hoping there could be a ( choose axis).Thanks for the follow up.

1 Like

This is the reason I avoid using the Turntable in Rhino. The 3d mouse constantly tries to auto adjust the target of the camera, resulting into an improper turntable that escapes the intended axis of rotation.

So… I need more details, I do not have one of these here - is the goal to automatically follow what the 3d mouse uses as a pivot, or is the problem that the command does follow the 3d mouse pivot and you’d like it to hold still? If the latter, is the need for a user set pivot, or just for the default middle of the vp pivot?

-Pascal

There are two main issues with Turntable when a 3d mouse is being used:

1. The target of the camera behaves in a weird way. While the LMB is still holding the slider, the camera target stays outside the (perfectly centered) object. However, upon releasing the LMB from the slider the camera target tries to escape its intended position and slowly raises along the object until it reaches its top end. You have to see it in a video recording, because it’s must easier to understand than describing it with words.
  1. The framerate tanks a lot while the mouse pointer is outside the Turntable’s slider. The one way to keep the framerate smooth is to hold the slider all the time with the LMB.

I also think that using a line to set the rotation axis for the Turntable manually is a great way to avoid the aforementioned bug associated with the use of a 3d mouse.

Pascal, in Bobi’s video there is a small icon( it is floating around the top of his model and a little off center) for the 3d mouse. I think it uses that as the center of rotation.
It isn’t very important of a command. Maybe used in some presentations. Every now and then I see something and say, ohh! ,then realize I need to investigate more before asking .—Mark

That’s right, the tiny icon is the automatic camera target put by the 3d mouse, which tries to position itself to the most natural location on the closest geometry. That particular behaviour basically destroys the intention of the “Turntable” tool and makes it impossible to use for anyone with a 3d mouse.

The following post is also related to this issue:

Hasn anyone contacted the 3d mouse developers about this Turntable problem?

RH-71438 Turntable: Axis wanders with SpaceMouse

-Pascal

woah, I get crazy flickering when I run the Turntable command, it starts fine, then when I move my mouse cursor it goes crazy flickering

I contacted them several years ago, but they briefly stated that my old SpacePilot device is no longer supported by their drivers and recommended to use a new one. I got a new model and it too had the same issue with the Turntable. I figured out that my SpacePilot is much better than the newer models. I tried several of them, but they all had a noticeably larger dead zone. I use a high sensitivity for the 6-axis “cap” to move/rotate/pan the camera quickly with the least hand movement, so it’s crucial that the dead zone will be as small as possible. But that is a different story…

1 Like

RH-71438 is fixed in the latest WIP

Thanks for trying . I don’t see any difference from the previous state.—Mark