TSplines Patent Is In The Public Domain. Will SubD Get Local Detail?

hi Kyle,

I don’t think the bottleneck is the writing up requests part, your head and notebooks must be filled with what needs to be added. We all here also have been all talking/posting about the same things over and over and over for a decade now, always posting examples, videos, etc. It looks like since the massive data loss of Discourse we can only search things in the last 5 years or so. It’s a shame because in the prior 5 years I was way more active and hopeful in this development and I had posted tons of videos about it.

But here below is enough for the next few months of development :slight_smile:, if your team decides aim for a bit more excellence in a traditional SubD modeler approach.

1. Friction in SubD continues, all so unresolved, so slow, so frustrating
  2. SubD edge selection insanity
  3. "Straightening" quads
  4. Subd and named selections for rapid iteration - #17 by gustojunk
  5. Comparing Rhino SubD modeling features with Alias 2021 and Modo 14
  6. Current state of SubD, mesh utility and Grassshoper questions/thoughts
  7. Highlight a face of polysurface like SubD face?
  8. Wish SubD edge selection enhancement
  9. Convert SubD Vertex Selection to Control Points?
  10. Wish: Named selections and duplicating
  11. Basic polygon selection is painful, slow, unreliable. Example attached
  12. Wish: Better SubD tools - #10 by hannesgrebin
  13. Mesh selection and editing is still very slow and cumbersome. WIP 04/21/20
  14. Confused about some very basic SubD functions missing - #12 by gustojunk

The big dilemma:
I do have one concern about all this feedback above: it is mostly based on replicating SubD workflows based on a box-modelling approach. So I’m not even sure if the world needs another SubD modeler like this. Especially when Blender is free and probably with a toolset and pace of development + modeling plugin ecosystem that Rhino will never catch up to. On the contrary, Rhino keeps getting farther and further behind every single year.

Probably makes more sense working on a curves-based approach to skinning/lofting surfaces as quad grids. With matching counts across seams, and shared edges. This would be a very Rhino-like workflow. Much more familiar to both Rhino developers and Rhino users. And also with an easier learning curve that a Sub-D tool.

I hope this helps,

G

13 Likes