Trouble with picking surfaces

“Doctor it hurts when I work without isocurves.”

Doctor: “Stop working without isocurves.”

Patient: “No.”

Doctor: “Oh.”

While I admit this is funny, I am with @phcreates on this:
Especially on complex files working with isocurves activated can get very confusing (leaving aesthetic considerations aside).
This is supposed to work as it did in older Rhino versions.
There is a reason why isocurves can be turned of.
What you propose is a workaround, a hack that might be useful in the short term, but this needs to be addressed.

2 Likes

Here is a video with isocurves turned on. (note: in my video, I don’t know how to make it visually apparent that the mouse is being clicked, so I’m literally saying the word ‘click’ each time I click the mouse. I think you’ll find my performance mesmerizing.) I’m not clicking directly on the isocurves, but I shouldn’t have to.

I click on the surface, with isos turned on, 15 times and the surface doesn’t get selected.

yeah…that sucks preeeety bad. It should pick that up in shaded mode.

@jeff any Idea what’s going on here?

I’ve experienced this too last week, on V7 WIP, trying to extract surfaces from polysurfaces in shaded mode. Only thing that worked was picking at the surfaces’ edges.

@theoutside

Kyle, this isn’t a display issue, it’s a picking issue. I would try to get examples that easily reproduce it (Peter’s looks like a good one), and put a YT item together for Mikko… I’d also include Peter’s video.

-Jeff

@phcreates can you send me that model? This is a bug and needs to get fixed asap-

Tech@mcneel.com attn to kyle Houchens

@gustojunk please send a model where you see this happening- We need to fix that asap!

Tech@mcneel.com attn Kyle houchens

bug logged here- https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-58382

1 Like

RH-58382 is fixed in the latest WIP

2 Likes

@phcreates fixed! just tested it- thanks for reporting!

1 Like

In today’s WIP problem still exists.

Model: select.3dm (49.1 KB)

Works as expected here - much better than yesterday. I tried your file and my file from this thread, and had no problems extracting faces.

can you run the systeminfo command in rhino and post it?

System Info

Rhino 7 SR0 2020-5-12 (Public Build, 7.0.20133.11585, Git hash:master @ 80ff3fd5d5ccdf5df25139f27f24ec3de87b99b4)
License type: Edukacyjna, build 2020-05-12
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2020-06-26

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 4-7-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 442.92

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-7-2020
Driver Version: 26.21.14.4292
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.0.20133.11585
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.0.20133.11585
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.0.20133.11585
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.0.20133.11585
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.0.20133.11585
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”

This issue seems to persist but only when using my custom shaded modes…otherwise it works fine in the standard default shading mode.

is there an option in the custom shading menu under preferences that I’m missing for object selection of selecting visible objects only as a persistent setting?

if you reset and rebuild you custom shading modes does the problem resolve?

to test, make a copy of the custom mode, reset it to defaults then reenter your settings. If it fixes the problem, delete the original and use the new one. A lot of stuff got changed in the first few service releases and sometimes the fix is to begin anew. A hassle yes, but hopefully once rebuilt it should behave going forward.

1 Like

Thank you. This worked.

1 Like

Please take a look on this picking behavior, instead of picking the edge Rhino selects either completely invisible back surface or top surface. User needs to be extremely precise to select the edge.

picking edges.3dm (328.6 KB)

System Info

Rhino 7 SR7 2021-5-31 (Rhino 7, 7.7.21151.13001, Git hash:master @ 24d76fc798fa6ffd33733e5f18b034d547b87840)
License type: Edukacyjna, build 2021-05-31
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [95% battery remaining]

Non-hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 4-8-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 462.31
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-8-2021
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6231
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Karamba\License\Karamba3D_LicensePlugin_Rhino7.rhp “Karamba3DLicense”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\Tibidabo.rhp “Tibidabo”
C:\Users\USER\Desktop\Crayon\unpacked 1.1.1\Crayon.rhp “Crayon” 1.1.0.0
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\VisualARQ.rhp “VisualARQ”
C:\ProgramData\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.2 (e24ee14a-9514-47da-8fe6-f6e61b20160e)\Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.rhp “Twinmotion Direct Link 2020” 1.0.6.0
C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\IntelDenoiser\0.6.0\IntelDenoiser.Windows.rhp “IntelDenoiser.Windows” 0.1.0.0
C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\NVIDIADenoiser\0.4.0\NVIDIADenoiser.Windows.rhp “NVIDIADenoiser.Windows” 0.4.0.0
C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\SubstanceImporter\2.0.0\Substance.Win.rhp “SubstanceImporter” 2.0.0.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\SolidTools.rhp “SolidTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.7.21151.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.7.21151.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.7.21151.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.7.21151.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.7.21151.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.7.21151.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.7.21151.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

try making your laptop monitor the main display, this won’t change anything about using your machine, only what happens to the graphics pipeline-

right click your desktop, go to display settings, then use the identifier to see which monitor is which, then select the laptop monitor and check the make this my main display. This then sets the state for the graphics pipeline and sets the external monitor as a pass through.

Id that makes no change, I’d start picking at the plugins… turn them all off then restart rhino, any change? if so, start turning them on one by one and then note any changes.

A clean install of your graphics card drivers may help if the above lends no result.