Some SubD WIP bugs/UX issues

I’ve been playing with the new SubD features a lot, and will continue to, so rather than do individual posts for issues, I figured I’d start a thread. This will be mostly bugs, with occasional feature requests made as suggestions for solutions to bugs (no feature requests out of nowhere)

Here are a few to begin with:

QuadRemesh: If I pre-select some faces of a subD and call QuadRemesh, the result is not a remeshing of the individual faces. Instead, Rhino produces quadremeshes of the entire SubD object. And for every SubD face I select, it produces a copy of the remesh of the entire SubD object. Three selected faces = three separate remeshes of the whole object, and apparently, from the progress bar each copy gets calculated individually.

Inset: Does not allow preselection of the whole object. If I preselect a SubD object and call Inset, it should inset all SubD faces. Preselection does work if I ctl-shift select the entire object and thus preselect all the subobjects, but from a user experience point of view, this is odd.

Also, more broadly than just this command, selecting an entire subD object with ctl-shift results in a display that shows the edges and the vertices selected, but not the faces. (this is yet another reason subD and mesh need a quick and easy subobject selection filter, ideally usable with keyboard shortcuts, including a toggle through options, and some kind of constant display of the current filter state.)

Thanks Max, apologies on the delay in reply.

Filed as https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-57177

Filed as https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-57179

There are selection filter macros now in the WIP to try. They’re in the Select SubD flyout currently.

2 Likes

Thanks.

I’ll try the selection filter macros. Instill think the best way to implement them in a style that fits Rhino’s UX logic is in a manner similar to the osnap display bar at the bottom of the window, with the option to check boxes, check individual boxes as one-shot and revert, and to toggle through with a key command. Boxes for: obj, face, edge, vert, disable.

RH-57179 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like