Slab, wall join, VisualArq 2.0

Hi,

is there a possibility to join/intersect layers of walls and floor slabs. I found some old posts saying that this is not available until 1.9. Was there any development regarding this. I hope this will be available in 2.0. It seems to be such a basic feature for every 3D architectural BIM software.

Thanks,
S

Hi @silvano,

Unfortunately, this feature is not yet implemented in VisualARQ 1.9 or VisualARQ 2.0. We’ll let you know when we implement it.

Thanks,

Enric

Agreed, Hopefully the developers recognize the priority of this feature.

What if instead we got an ‘edit profile.
’ command?

Different from adding hatch overlays in the section to create the detail required at smaller scales because it moves with the model…

@Prehabitat, can you further describe what you mean with this request?

In Revit, as I said before not necessarily the best gauge of how we want VA to work, it works like this:

Rather than spending time resolving all wall layers in the model as they intersect with any/all floors/ceilings/roof junctions, you can instead make sections at all the typicals then the ‘edit profile’ command is used to make view-isolated adjustments to the extents of each sectional representation of each wall layer as a region. (Non-model adjustments)

Said another way, if the wall layers are represented as several layered regions with different hatch patterns; ‘edit profile’ allows view specific adjustments to each of those regions’ extents…

Hope that makes sense.

As @Prehabitat mentioned, cut profile would be a nice addition.

Still, I think for our standard 1:50 construction plans, there should be an automated intersection system, as for walls. It would be a tedious task to solve all intersections in such plans manually. Showing a correct typical detail only and leaving the incorrect intersections in the 1:50 would lead to much confusion on site.

@Prehabitat, @silvano thanks for the suggestions. We will take them into account when we work on the wall/slab intersections.

Yeah, Revit ‘cut profile’ is a hack solution…

Hi @fsalla,

might you give some information about the development schedule for the wall/slab join functionality? For smaller projects we would like to switch from Revit to VisualArq for many reasons (GH, scripting, better geometry handling in Rhino, speed, etc.). Slab/wall joins is the missing feature that prevent us from doing so.

Alternatively, could you recommend a workflow that allows us to achieve a usable section?

Thanks, S

1 Like

Hi @silvano,

This feature is currently targeted to VisualARQ 2.x, so it should be implemented in one of the following versions, but there is no specific date. But as it has been requested so many times, I think it will be implemented soon.

May I ask you what do you expect from this feature?

Our idea is to make it similar to the current wall-wall join, so layers will extend until they reach a sibling layer, normally by index, but it could be improved taking into account material, width, etc. Also we’ll remove lines/edges from adjacent layers to make clearer they are the “same” layer.

Do you have any other particular request?

Thanks,

Enric

3 Likes

Hello!

Good to hear these news. I think, that the functionality of the wall connecting works fine. I mean the core and normal options. So if you are able to add this feature to the slab layer which will connect with core layer in the wall :slight_smile:

I just got an idea, if this would be also possible use on roofs? Sometimes I need to make a roof like the picture bellow :wink:

Regards!
Petr

1 Like

Hi @petumatr,

Yes, this feature will be implemented also for roofs.

But we need first to add the multi-layer feature to the roof object. And in order to do this, we have decided to unify part of the code of these objects and create something called “layer sets”, so you can define as many layer sets as you want in a document, and then use this layer set on a wall, column, slab or roof.

Enric

3 Likes

Just to add my wish here too. Wall / Slab / Roof automatic intersections (with possibility of manual override) is a very needed feature, and essential in any BIM workflow. Please make it happen as soon as possible … thanks!

1 Like

Hi @enric

That’s great to hear. Expectations are what you described. In addition to that:

1. Control over which layer comes first. A system based on indices to control which layer dominates could be implemented. Pls. see Revit’s layer system for an example. Though I think their indices are hardwired to the layer type, e.g. Finish = 4. This is too restrictive. It would be great if the user would be able to define their own dictionary of layer types: indices. Depending on the type of construction, layer precedence can change.
  2. Automatic cleanup of floor-wall, roof-wall connections.
  3. Wall layer wraps for inserts such as windows, doors, that allow for an alternative thickness of the wrapping layer. This feature would allow to achieve correct raw construction measurements. The wrapping should work the same all around the object (so that elevations and floor plan sections are the same).

Thanks for improving VisualArq
S

2 Likes

hi!
we have recently decided to try va for a new project and i’m wondering if meanwhile there is a feature to connect wall cores to slabs (concrete/conrete).so far we put the walls on the slab and create single slabs for each room for the screed. thats a rather painfull workaround as it leaves wall pieces below door-openings which then need to be removed by substracted solids and also the need to redraw the basecurve for the scred slabs each time a wall is moved.

if there is no tool for this yet maybe someone could give me a tip on what the best practice for this problem would look like.

thank you

Hello,
I use the same method, at doors I extend walls downwards. When changing the outline of walls I use control points for refining slabs (both, construction and flooring):

Cheers, Jaro

Hi Jaro,

thanks for your answer. What exactly do you mean when you say “extend walls downwards”?

Hello Linus,
Take a look:

I have to separate slabs, one for construction and one for flooring. This way you can have different floorings in various rooms with the same construction slab. Then, I put doors - but here is the only drawback, I have to set different level for doors, as normally they would be put at the top of construction. Or you can do it any other way, just moving doors upwards, for example. The next things are floorings, without doorsteps, this is the final move. Of course, you could put them at any time, but every change would cost you additional work. So, at doorsteps I add rectangles and join them with the flooring I want. Finally I extend wall downwards (you can’t see this at the picture, but I choose the “bottom” option). That’s all, I have walls standing on a slab, with floorings on all surfaces.

edit: this way you can also decide what layer of a wall starts on whal level, you can offset bottoms as you wish - for example, you can have final coating starting just above flooring

Cheers, Jaro

Oh great! Thanks so much for the explanation!

cheers

linus