VA wish list

I know there was a similar list once, but this is a list of my own:
1/ “layer states” for each individual detail: when you have several different details in one layout it would be fine if they show variuos states of an element,
2/ improved end/opening wrapping for walls: layers wrap despite of setting up a window or door, for example wrapping the exterior layers makes them appearing on the inside of a room,
3/ possibility for choosing what wall layer connects to a layer of another wall (I mean I’d like to have the option to define connections of my own, to provide connections of layers of the same technical type),
4/ elements by surface, line, point,
5/ hatch for a wall surfaces, a simplified method not only for textured materials,
6/ linear hatch or line style for an element pattern, for example a batting line for thermal insulation,
7/ geometry pipeline for GH: I’d like an automated way for collecting VA elements from a model, now I have to pick them up manually; I would stay with it if the choice could be constant, but every time I open the model the selection is not valid (GH input “converts” VA elements to some strange blocks),
8/ hierarchy and inheritance for elements: for example you could have a super wall type definition, then walls could inherit some properties from the parent (geometry, materials, display or print setting and so on),
9/ improved line overlapping: sometimes thinner lines overlap thicker ones, I mean if we can set line weights to elements it would be great the programme could sort them out, pushing the thickest on the top,
10/ extending a wall to a layer of an element: when you have a multi-layered slab I’d like to choose to what layer the wall should be extended, for now it is a problem to extend the wall to the core layer, it’s extended to the flooring,
11/ a normal section: I’d like to have an option for a section perpendicular to an element’s axis (mostly for details),
12/ an option to choose what elements and in what way should be seen at the section (something like “layer states” only for sections, also it could be done through selection of element types seen at the section),
13/ ceiling plan,
14/ reflected view: sometimes it’s very useful to have an element just behind the clipping plane,
15/ opening elevation styles for GH elements,
16/ more flexible styles for tables: for example, I’d love to have an option for a constant width of a column, for adding opening elevation, for translating some system tags as there is no such a word as YES in most languages, for example :wink:
17/ calculating the real attributes of a space: now the VA takes a default height of a room to calculate its volume, I’d like to have it measured as defined by elements (walls, slabs, etc.),
18/ possibility for inserting a curtain wall into a wall, just as a door or window,
19/ user profiles for curtain walls,
20/ the separate category for footing elements: now you can model it as a type of a wall or slab only, I think it’s not enough the more there is a special category for it,
21/ axes for walls, with the option to what layer axis should be assigned,
22/ finally, I’d like to have an option for defining complex elements, consisting of various and different elements…

Well, could be more but for me these ones would make me absolutely happy :slight_smile:

Cheers, Jaro

1 Like

Hi Jaro, thanks for all these requests! Hopefully we can make them come true soon! Just some comments:

This can already be handled by the Layer settings by Detail viewport, inside the Layer Manager.

I imagine what you mean, but can you attach some example of the result you wished to achieve?

This should be handled with the Layer Type in each wall style. You can set them to “Normal” or “Core”. Core layers will tend to find each other in wall intersections while “Normal” layers will wrap around. Let me know if there is some specific join you wished to achieve, just in case it is not already possible with the existing options.

4. Ok, this is already planned.
5. Ok, this is also planned for VisualARQ 3
6. OK, +1 vote for this feature in the wishlist.
7. I already had your vote for this feature :wink:

This is how it works now. VisualARQ object styles have components that perform as objects inside blocks. They can have their own attributes, or set them by Parent, so they take the attributes set to the whole style. At the same time, attributes set “By Parent” to the style, will take the attributes of the objects in the model.

Allright!

This is related to another feature that we are planning for future VisualARQ versions, which is solving the intersections of walls with slabs.

1. This is already planned. +1 vote.

Can you provide some example of this?
Do you know that you can decide whether an object is clipped by a section or not? you can find this parameter in the section attributes:

13. Reflected Ceiling plans?

I’m not sure to get this one. Can you provide some example? Does the “clipping” status shown above solves this request?

1. Ok
  2. Ok.
  3. Ok
  4. Ok. But would be valid for you to have the curtain wall features (I mean, the Cell division types, etc) on Window objects?
  5. Ok. You can already create custom profiles (vaProfileFromCurve command) and use them for the “Support” component of curtain walls. But I guess you wished them too for the Mullions and Frame components.
  6. Ok. In the meantime you can create a parametric Element (from a GH style) that represents a footing and tag it as an ifcFooting

As 2D representation? Can you show an example?

An assembly of elements. This is also planned.

2 Likes

Francesc, thank you very much for your reply!
OK, so here are some explanations:
1/ yes, I see there is a possibility, but frankly there is some strange logic in setting up the visibility, triggering the layer state affects not only the detail I want to change… does it have something in common with named states? do I have to enter the detail, set the state for it, and Rhino will remember it?
2/ I mean something like this, I would like to get wrapping just like on the left side:

As you can see, there should be two different wrappings, one for inner layer, and one for outer ones. Of course, there is another problem with jambs, and overlapping of some layer over a window. I guess it’s not easy to get a complex opening shape, but frankly it’s the way it works with buildings :wink: for now, I just place a regular window, and then I add an element working as a jamb.
3/ as seen at the picture above, I have tried to set some layers as “core” layers, but there isn’t a proper connection… On the left, the pink layers should be connected… Maybe the better method would be to allow joining of layers of the same name? It would be quite logic, if we have the same layers construction (not necessarily their thickness) they should connect to each other, shouldn’t they?
4/ 5/ 6/ 7/ absolutely fantastic news!
Cheers, Jaro

1 Like

Hello again,
8/ this is not exactly what I mean. I would like to get some hierarchy for elements, not their parts. For example, I would like to have a “super wall” (a “parent” one) with some “children”: the “kids” would inherit everything (including parameters, wrapping style, and so on). A “child” wall would have the same number of layers, the same construction as a “parent” one.
9/ well, I have to back away a bit this demand :wink: or at least I’d like you to reconsider working of the feature. Below a sample of a wall extended to a slab (thick line on the upper side shouldn’t be visible):
10/ great! also, would you consider to add an option to join a beam with a slab? I know, it’s vary hard to distinguish were a beam or slab is in the structure…
11/ absolutely fantastic :slight_smile:
12/ yes, I know the feature, but we have to manually mark what element is visible or not; maybe it would be useful to mark what kind of elements should be taken into account when preparing a section? Let’s say, there could be a choice at the section style box, what elements are cut? Or what layers are used? Sometimes I’d like to remove some elements from sections (furnitures etc), but I want them to be visible on plans. Layer manager is not a perfect solution.
13/ yes!
Cheers, Jaro

And the last one:
14/ I used the feature when working with Bentley Microstation, it was quite useful for me. It was a view of an element behind a section plane, like this:

15/ 16/ 17/ great :slight_smile:
18/ it is absolutely enough for me :slight_smile:
19/ yes, adding custom frames and mullions would be great
20/ well, yes, it is a workaround, thanks for the hint
21/ exactly, I would like to add a 2D representation of an axis of my choice: I’d like to have an option what layer should be marked with the axis, and what are the properties of the axis (the more, it would be great to have the similiar option for columns, I mean an option for defining axes),
22/ I can’t wait for it :slight_smile:
Regards!

Hi Jaro,

1. Yes, Rhino will remember the layer configuration per Detail view. You can also save the layer states in order to restore it in any desired Detail Viewport.
  2. Ok, I get it. This is already in our wishlist, so I add your vote and keep you posted if there is any news on this.
  3. If you set the Pink layer as Core, it should intersect with the other wall Pink Layer (also set to Core). Also make sure that the thin white layer between the yellow and pink one is set to “Normal”. Otherwise please send me that 3dm file with that connection, and I’ll see what’s wrong.
  4. Ok, I understand. We’d need to discuss this internally.
  5. Ok. In some cases, the drawOrder commands of Rhino help to make an object appear in front or behind others.
  6. Ok.
  7. Ok, we can consider setting this “clipping status” property by object type, by object style or by layer. In case of objects that you want to be visible in plans but not in sections (or viceversa) the visibility status per Detail view is the solution.
  8. Ok, add your vote for this one.
  9. Ok, add your vote for this one. If you can provide some example of a plan view with this, it would be great.

Cheers!

Hi!
Just contributing to the discussion :slight_smile: though some of these are already recorded…

1 - showing objects above cplane (outlines of beams, windows etc.)
2 - possibility to have more 2D representation of elements in plan: fe. detailed view, schematic view -> and option to globally switch these settings
3 - is there any chance to add an option align to core layer / loadbearing wall element when creating wall?

Hi Petr,
I already tracked your wishes, except for number 3, so I add your vote for it as well.

1 Like

Since VisualARQ 2.6 Opening elevations now show openings created from Grasshopper styles and from blocks correctly.

1 Like

Hello,
It almost works… :wink:
The first issue is the lack of muttins at the elevation:

And the second one, I can’t say what is the side of an elevation, the inner or outer? Take a look at the picture:

This is a compound window, with two frames, the inner one is a bit smaller. I would like to have an option to choose what side is shown at the elevation.
Cheers, Jaro

Hello again,
I forgot to add the lack of muntins applies to a regular window type. With a block-based or GH definition it works fine. But I would love another option: a possibility to make every frame type unique and even with two opening options. I can imagine a window with several different frames, each opening in a different way (or even some of them fixed, as it is possible now), see the picture:

And the next one, different way of opening symbol display. Here, in Poland, it depends on a way the window can be opened. If we open it “upwards” then we can’t see it, so it should be marked with a dashed line. When we open it “downwards”, we can see it so it should be marked with a continuous line. As at the picture:

Could it be added as an option?
Cheers, Jaro

Hi @jerry.bakowski,

I added your suggestions to the list! Thank you.

Hi, i’m a new user of both Rhino and VA, but i have some experience with other softwares and think that VA is a very powerful tool.

But i miss a few things. Expecially this:

Is there a prevision to implement this feature?

Best regards

Hi @evandroj.gomes,

Yes, but it has not been implemented yet.
I added your vote to all related issues on our bugtrack.

Kind regards

@evandroj.gomes in VisualARQ 2.8 we have implemented the “overhead” attributes, so you can display the top representation of an object above the cut plane in the plan view (as long as you are seeing the level where this object is located in plan view, which means, top view with the cut plane activated).

3 Likes

Hello Francesc,
Will it be possible to add this feature to any other elements? Solids? Even curves?
Cheers, Jaro

Hi Jaro, yes. Our goal is to make this work with non VisualARQ objects and also select the level where this overhead attributes are visible. Because right now, they only appear in the level where the object is located, when showing it in plan view.
By the way, could you give me an example where this was useful on curves?