RhinoBridge release

Hello,

I wanted to release RhinoBridge, a PlugIn I have been working on, that makes it easy to import Assets and Materials from Quixel Bridge into Rhino.
It uses a modified version of the Quixel ‘bridge-c-sharp-plugin’ hosted at GitHub - Quixel/Bridge-C-Sharp-Plugin: Quixel Megascans Bridge custom exports C# plugin sample. .

The PlugIn is open source and the source code is available here: GitHub - DerLando/RhinoBridge: Quixel Bridge PlugIn for Export to Rhinoceros3d

Feel free to post any feedback on what is working/not working, I would like to hear your thoughts.

11 Likes

RhinoBridge

Quixel Bridge PlugIn for Export to Rhinoceros3d

Liability, Warranty, Suggested use cases

This software is in a very early stage of development. Please don’t use it for any critical production work, as crashes and bugs are almost guaranteed to happen, as there is not enough feedback yet. Until this officially changes, think of RhinoBridge as a toy to play around with.
This plugIn is not officially supported, nor developed by Quixel. It is a personal project and might lack the professionalism you are searching for in software.
All the licensing agreements for using Quixel Megascans assets still apply, as RhinoBridge is just an importing utility.

Motivation

This plugIn aims to allow for simple transfer of assets and materials from Quixel Bridge, to Rhinoceros3d.

Versions

Currently, only Rhino 7 WIP Version 7.0.20119.13305 and Quixel Bridge Version 2020.2.1 are officially supported. Newer versions are expected to just work.

Transfer

To Import from Quixel Bridge, run the _RhinoBridgeStartServer command inside of Rhino. After that the plugIn is listening for all Custom Socket Exports from Quixel Bridge. Imports will be queued up and imported when ready. It is recommended to import in Wireframe mode, as Rhino takes quite a long time to render the assets the first time when using Rendered mode.

Customization

RhinoBridge exposes an Options page where some settings can be customized

Server settings

• Port Number: The port number on which quixel bridge exports will be run

Import Settings

• Material geometry: The geometry type associated with a material when it is imported
    • Sphere
    • Plane
    • Cube
    • None (No geometry, the material just gets added to the materials list of the document)
  • Scale material import: Experimental feature to scale pbr materials on import to their expected size. Quixel Bridge materials mostly come in a Centimeter unit system, so if you are working in another system, this might come handy
  • Asset geometry: The geometry type an asset should be imported as
    • Block: The asset will be blocked on import. Useful if you want to use multiple copies
    • Mesh: The asset will be imported as single meshes.

Installation

You can get the latest version of RhinoBridge either via the package manager inside of Rhino, using the _PackageManager command, or download the latest installable .rhp file from Release Update to v0.2.0 · DerLando/RhinoBridge · GitHub

Issues

Feel free to raise any issues using the Issue tracker on this repository

Changes

For changes between different versions see RhinoBridge/CHANGELOG.md at master · DerLando/RhinoBridge · GitHub

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing this project of yours. It will be a huge extension for Rhino!

I’m having trouble tho using it in the newest Rhino release (7.0.20196.12025) and Quixel Bridge Version 2020.3.2.

After clicking export in Quixel, Rhino crashes and the Error Reporting window (without any further information) shows up. Tested it with .fbx.obj.abc textures, high res, low res etc.

Is there any known issue why this could happen? How can I support with more information?

Since I am really no expert in plugins or scripting: Is it somehow possible to use RhinoBridge in Rhino6?

Best,
Albrecht

Hey @Albrecht,

Probably the API of quixel changed a bit with the 3.2. Release. I will have to take a look, but as I’m on vacation till the end of the the weeky this will take some time. I should be able to ship a fix next week.

A release for version 6 should be possible, but I haven’t fully researched how to implement pbr materials with the rhino 6 sdk, so I can’t give a timeframe on that.

1 Like

Hi @Albrecht,

I was able to reproduce the error and fix it (it was actually caused by changes in the Rhino API).

You can get the new version v0.2.1 either by running the _PackageManager, or by downloading the RhinoBridge.rhi directly from https://github.com/DerLando/RhinoBridge/releases/latest .

Let me know if you find any other issues.

1 Like

Hey! Really interesting stuff! Similar issue here now with v0.2.1 where the program crashes as I import. Can anyone confirm that it is again related to changes in the API?

Hi @nikolas.mcglashan,

What versions of rhino and quixel bridge are you running?

Hey. I let my computer get some shut eye and now it seems to be working… odd. Nonetheless, I’m running Rhino 7.0.20210.12505 and Bridge 2020.3.2. Seems like it has some difficulty converting the material to a vismat. I exported the material as an MTL and reimported the mat to Rhino 6 and it seemed to work. Thank you for this! I am eager to keep testing and offering feedback as it continues to develop.

Hi Lando Schumpich

Thank your for sharing your knowledge~

Quixel Bridge
Download lastest version 2020.3.2
so IT work on.

Toggle full screen (F11) check export check

Export To - Custom Socket Export
Socket Port - 24981

Lovely useful Rhino Plug-in :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yes I agree with your thoughts. G
Express a wider and deeper material through Rhino Render WIP7 PBR
That torso was expressed a material color chart in the Key-sh-- tutorial. -googling

-Comparison ViewCaptureToFile Renderview-

Wonderful plugin… anyway, when importing metal materials they are all messed up… do you know how to solve? thanks

@lando.schumpich @nathanletwory what a hell is that ?

1 Like

I have no idea. Why am I tagged?

🥲🥲
As It’s an open source and will be useful yo have it works probably with Rhino, who could help :sos:

Do you recognize these people from Qiuxel Bridge?

You know… boxing is an ancient sport. My guess is that the displacement/height map converted them into that. Displacement - not even once. :disappointed:

Would you mind explaining what’s going on here? Provide asset link or id to investigate. I wanted to contribute this bridge at some point and studied stuff a bit maybe I will be able to recognize what’s the issue.

It’s my first time using Quixel Bridge, the process is very simple just write RhinoBridgeStartServer and choose custom socket export

Quixel Antique Sculpture (assets link)

It’s strange, this render mesh as you can see the is a huge gap between the actual mesh and the render

This looks like displacement is on. So turn off displacement as a modifier in the object tab or turn off displacement which is set on material.

I’m not saying that I agree with this, or that this could be the reason, but maybe this is the reason:
why_am_i_being_tagged

9 Likes