Rhino will now exit

This is fun…

Started Rhino 7 this morning, it said an update was available, so I closed Rhino and let it install. On reopening, I get this:

…immediately. No splash screen, no option to log in to my account, no nothing, just that. This is a first…

No ghost rhinos running in task manager or anything else I can see. Rhino 6 runs fine.

Restart of the computer did not help. Running a repair on it from Windows>Programs now, but it says I need to restart the computer to finish…

And - no joy. After a repair and a restart, same thing. If I had any real work to do today, I think I would be screaming by now…

What I do see is this:

Whereas V6 has this:

I think @brian was attempting to fix this issue. Let me give you a link to a newer version - I assume you were getting a 7.1 build, I’m going to link a newer one with code that I believe contains the attempted fix:

https://files.mcneel.com/dujour/exe/20201118/rhino_en-us_7.1.20323.15001.exe

Let me know if that is any better.

Nope. Got the "Updating toolbars, help files… message, then the “License not found” box again. :confounded:

I swear I saw this morning in the commit logs messaging about changes to have one version not delete the license files of the other, but now that I look at them again I can’t find any of them.

As a test does it all work better if you uninstall both 6 and 7 and reinstall only 7?

Other than that I am afraid we’ll have to wait for @brian to work his magic.

Hmm, I really don’t want to uninstall 6. I wonder if I uninstall 7 and try to reinstall a previous version - such as 7.1.20314.23101 or even the current release version 7.0.20314.03001 if that might work?

Well, I was just thinking as a test. Obviously install 6 again after testing, but I’m sure @brian will be able to say much better things about this than I once he’s awake.

OK, I uninstalled the current version and reinstalled the 7.0 release version. License dialog came up and it logged into my account and got the license. Now it runs. I will lay off the updates until I hear from @brian on this.

1 Like

This is correct. All the license files live in the Rhinoceros\6.0\License Manager folder.

It’s a fix that almost went into 6.32 last night, but I decided to pull it at the last minute when I thought of a more robust fix for this and future similar problems. But this isn’t the problem Mitch is seeing.

The prosecution rests. All evidence has been deleted. There’s nothing I can do to help you understand what went wrong and fix it, unfortunately.

Unless… you made copies of the licenses folder?

Nothing to copy! Look at the first image in the first post… Completely empty folder.

Don’t shoot the messenger.

This is correct. All the license files live in the Rhinoceros\6.0\License Manager folder.

If you run into this again, please let me know - preferably before you fix it.

Including V7 licenses? Then what purpose does the V7 folder serve?

You want me to wake you up in the middle of the night?

Yes.

It has no purpose.

Well, that’s not obvious to anyone.

All the licenses are in the 6.0 folder because it lets plug-ins that work in both be licensed one time. This is true for things like Bongo, Flamingo, etc. Originally, we thought we’d move the licenses to a new folder, but it turned out to cause more problems than it fixed.

Well I will install the updates again and see if the problem happens again. If so, I will make a copy of the license folder. If not, and it was a one-time fluke, then there’s probably not much to be learned anyway. If it is a recurring problem not related to my system, I’m sure someone else here will report the same thing.

1 Like

OK @brian , I guess you got your wish - just let it update to the current 7.1 RC.

What do you want me to do now?
(license files sent by PM)

1 Like

Mark on the license file - only for reading, on each version.

Excuse me, but this is Brian’s problem to solve…

Thank you. I’ll take a look… this is really weird.

Still investigating: https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-61626

Of course, I can’t reproduce this here. Are you installing English Rhino?