Rhino 8 is out!

Hi all.
Rhino 8 was released! …quietly…

My Beta installation is still working though… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Should I expect more frequent updates/SR on “beta” or on 8?
Are new fixes and such pushed on both at the same time?
There is a difference between those two? If so, what?

Ok after reboot my Rhino Beta installation is gone, and apparently Rhino 8 inherited all settings from the Beta…

4 Likes

Yes, installed it this morning.
The “buy rhino” page is updated to version 8 too.

Apparently the .exe executable is still “seen” by the OS the same way as Rhino 7, so you can’t dock both on the app bar at the same time.
With no any Rhino app docked at all, right click on rhino 8:
2023-11-02 12_21_11-
it prompts Rhino 7 ^ . Can’t dock both.

Also, I can’t have Rhino 7 and Rhino 8 running on the same machine?
Rhino 7 says “you are running the licence on another pc, use it here?” if I say yes, rhino 8 ask me the same!
Did I do something wrong?
Reboot did not help.

1 Like

i dont think there will be any updates on the beta from now on. McNeel go and take my money already!

The 90 day free eval will work fine and get updates and the upgrade promotional price will still be valid when the eval expires…

The upgrade promotion has a hard expiration date of Feb 27, 2024, so if a user waits until December to download the eval it would continue working until after the promotion ends, thus providing an opportunity for the unwary to miss the promotion.

A trivial point, but true.

Yep, my comment was for people downloading the evaluation now…

RH-78061 Can’t run V8 and V7 at the same time

4 Likes

Any news on this?
Today I had Rhino 7 + grasshopper open and starting Rhino 8 closed 7+gh without even asking if to move the licence or if I wanted to save. wow

I can understand to have the same pro/cons of last beta in the release, but this is actually worse.
Am I the only one having this licence problem or what?
What can I do?

Hi Riccardo -

From the bug report, it looks like 3 people are seeing this on their systems.
I’ve marked the report as “Major”.
-wim

This particular bug has been around for some time, I had this also when sharing a license between my pc and (mac) laptop, very annoying RH-64790 Whack-a-mole with Grasshopper running eliminates option to save

So yeah in this case you need to be particularly careful

I think someone forgot to tell V8 to stop looking for a V7 license when it switched from Beta to release… Looks like it now grabs both.

1 Like

This issue should now be resolved. Please see the post below and let us know if you continue to be unable to run two versions of Rhino side-by-side on the same computer when using Cloud Zoo.

1 Like

This minor bug is still there.
I’d like to have Rhino 8 shortcut pinned in Windows10 bottom taskbar …

It is either a language pack bug or a windows registry bug, I have it working here:

I see only a Rhino 8 icon in your screenshot.

The Rhino 8 icon comes up for me too in the taskbar. The problem is that it takes up the same slot as Rhino 7.

Opening up Rhino 8 and a file then Rhino 7 and openign the Kasten file, then clicking on the Rhihno 8 icon in the task bar, this is what I see. The order to reproduce doesn’t appear to matter; I’m just being exact for the replication steps.

The bug is annoying when cross-testing between Rhino 7 and Rhino 8 but for priorities I wouldn’t ask that it be anything but logged for now given all of the extra hours McNeel people have been putting in over the holidays and weekends.

So far as language packs, and registry bug possibilities, my system is a French-ish Lenovo with an Azerty keyboard and USA English Windows 11 installed over top yet which occasionally thinks that it’s British so that’s conceivable.
systeminfo.txt (2.5 KB)

2 Likes

Exactly my thought.
This is not a priority, but this being tracked (aka not forgotten) would be nice…
Maybe I would, then, miss-click and open 8 instead of 7, leading to further testing it? Who knows! :joy:
Currently only 7 is pinned in my taskbar …

I just checked, I have the same bug also on another machine. W10.
Are you on W11? Maybe it is not a problem for W11?

The bottom of my post has details of my system. This system has more baggage in the picture than a reddit ‘my ex’ meme.

1 Like

@Gijs Sorry for bothering you, I’m tagging you here.

This seems the same as RH-60614

Minor bug. But maybe if it’s tracked is better.
Edit: is it already tracked? If it is , ignore this post…

@maje90 yes it is the same bug. As you can see it’s a long standing bug. What’s odd is that I had that bug here during the WIP stage of Rhino 8, but right now don’t see it, but the tasks also no longer combine at my end (which is my preference, but it was gone from Windows 11 for some time, and now it miraculously returned without me changing any settings)

1 Like