Rhino 8 - Ghosted display mode - weird outline around surface edge curves

I’m trying to match my R7 display modes in R8 and finding this frustrating difference in R8. The surface edge curves appear to be rendering as 3D pipes - which is fine - however as soon as you add transparency the part of the ‘pipe’ on the other side of the surface is being visualized as darker than the part in front of the surface giving a weird ‘outline’ affect which doesn’t render well when you use a smaller line width. I’d rather the edge curves render flat like they do when there is no transparency applied.

(Transparent Shading)

(Solid Shading)

1 Like

Looks like there’s little or no anti-aliasing in V8 in your images - especially Ghosted…

Hi @Helvetosaur,

Antialiasing is at max 8x:

When I increase the scale of the surface edge it still has a thin black outline visible:

Yeah, I wasn’t implying that it wasn’t set right, just that that’s how it appears. Something is not good there. @stevebaer

:wink: Got it.

It’s happening on all 3 computers I’ve tried it on - varying specs.

Dell
Intel(R) Core™ i9-7940X
32Gb RAM
Nvidia Quadro RTX4000

Self Built
AMD Threadripper 3960x
64Gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080

Razer Blade 15" Advance 2019 Laptop
Intel Core i7-9750H
16Gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Max-Q

I was trying to figure this out myself and found your post. Here is a direct comparison between v7 and v8. Ghosted mode is where it is VERY noticeable.

V8

V7

Sounds like computer is irrelevant but if not:
i7 13700k
32gb
4060ti
Winblows 11

As far as I can tell, display settings are the same in v7 and v8. Anti-aliasing settings have no effect. In fact, as a test I went from max AA settings to minimum AA in v7 and the difference was very subtle. It did not cause anything like the effect we’re seeing in v8.

I see this indeed, when the background is changed to a different color than the default (gray) color. Can you confirm that your aa improves when using the default?

default:

white:

black:

RH-78906 Ghosted mode AA is off when not using the default background color

Yep, that was it… mostly. There is a still a little weirdness due to gridlines that doesn’t happen in v7, but otherwise a custom background causes the most trouble.

v8

v7

thanks, I added that to the YT issue.

I’m having this exact same problem and am using the default background. In fact, everything is set to default. Nice and clear in 7, but looks all tessellated in 8. It’s a shame because I like some of the new features, but I work in Ghosted mode almost 100% of the time, and this is tough to work with.
Anyone have any other suggestions?

hi @Stephen_Vannelli can you share a screenshot of what it looks like at your end?
Also can you run _SystemInfo and post back the results?

Here’s what it looks like in V8:

And here is V7:

It looks worse first hand on my screen.

Here’s the sysinfo:

Rhino 8 SR1 2023-11-21 (Rhino 8, 8.1.23325.13001, Git hash:master @ 8a4a437248efac5d9cb04d3904481b83e4c23a64)
License type: Evaluation, build 2023-11-21
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2024-03-06

Windows 11 (10.0.22631 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
.NET 7.0.0

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: AMD Radeon ™ Pro WX 7100 Graphics (AMD) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 8-24-2023 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 Compatibility Profile Context 23.Q3.1.230823
> Accelerated graphics device with 7 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60
Driver Date: 8-24-2023
Driver Version: 31.0.21018.6011
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 8170 MB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.1.23325.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 8.1.23325.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.1.23325.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\MeshCommands.rhp “MeshCommands” 8.1.23325.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 8.1.23325.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoCode\RhinoCodePlugin.rhp “RhinoCodePlugin” 8.1.23325.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 8.1.23325.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Something else unusual is that it doesn’t seem to do it on black objects:

Again, tough to make out, but the black lines on the left object are fine, and the colored ones have the tessellation.

2 posts were split to a new topic: AA cannot be turned off fully

I am seeing the same, have reported it earlier. V7 has a much higher degree of fidelity.

• RTX 4070ti, updated drivers, intel system, windows 11.

I just installed Rhino 8, updated my graphics card drivers quadro p620
and set anti aliasing to max, and I am still getting a ready bad quality image, plus rendering view is way too slow, running _testmaxspeed came as rhino 8 7fps and rhino 7 around 16fps.
Does someone knows how to troubleshoot this?

Just bringing this up again to see if anyone has found any solution to this. Both of my versions 7 & 8 are up to date, but this problem still persists in 8

An answer to another thread lead me to a solution.

It appears to have something to do with Nvidia Control Centre overiding some of Rhino 8’s OpenGL settings by default… Thanks Nvidia!

@Paul_Harris I’m not yet convinced that that is the solution. I find setting it accordingly gives me less crisp shaded and wireframe views.

Ok @Gijs - I’ll test it out some more…