Rhino 8 Feature: ShrinkWrap

ShrinkWrap lets you create a wrapped mesh from mesh, NURBS geometry, SubD, and Point Clouds. Just about anything!

ShrinkWrap meshes are ideal for creating:

• Meshes for 3D printing.
  • A solid union mesh from multiple input objects.
  • A solid mesh from 3D scan data fragments.
  • Meshes without internal self intersections.
  • Offset meshes for shell operations
  • Reverse engineering workflows
  • Point cloud meshes
  • Valid closed meshes from broken or often hard to repair geometry.

Examples:

Interior shell

Next Steps:

• Download Rhino 8 WIP for windows8logo Windows or finderLogo Mac

• Run the ShrinkWrap command, or click the ShrinkWrap icon in the Mesh toolbar.

Plug-in developers can now access static ShrinkWrap methods from the Mesh class in RhinoCommon as well as on mesh.ShrinkWrap() and pointCloud.ShrinkWrap()

Grasshopper also has a ShrinkWrap component in the Mesh tab next to the Quad Remesh component.

86 Likes

This is incredible! Very fast, too!

2 Likes

Next Step, Native Shrinkwrap from Grasshopper!
Love you guys!

9 Likes

Very welcome addition. Bravo.

Iso surfacing tool with what seems to be some Naive Surface Net is a very very useful tool for Rhinoceros. In Grasshopper we had Millipede and now Dendro/OpenVdB. It hope it will compete with Dendro so MacOS users will have a good access to isosurfacing.

Did you test it on this scene ?

1 Like

I’ll bet @Japhy gives it a go. Looks like a general CPU hog all around.

I had already started it :slight_smile:

Deleted all the points and curve and exploded the blocks before doing .25" resolution with a .125 offset.

Before the QuadRemesh

14 Likes

This looks incredible! I’ll give it a try and see how well is working so far. The only limitation I see: why are the results union/additive? For us it would also be useful to set some input objects as subtractive.

Also the smoothing/softening would be ideal to control by angle range to define when it kicks in. For example, I’d activate it for all concavities but not convexities. I’ll post some examples if needed.

Thx!

G

(edited for clarity)

3 Likes

Nice! I provided this example project in the other thread and have also tested ShrinkWrap on it as soon as the command went public. The first impression is awesome - it does a great job even with super messy geometry. The initial tests show that it’s faster not to explode blocks and just wrap whatever you have:

This particular model doesn’t resolve if I try wrapping it all in one go. According to @Trav’s comments in another thread, it’s most probably due to a massive opening at the bottom of the towers:

Smaller gaps between façade panels tend to trip the logic as well and force the algorithm to shrink all the way to the core:

Another feedback is, that the Polygon Optimization option still results in quite heavy meshes. Here is an example input with 17 polygons, after wrapping it’s close to 5000:

QuadRemesh or ReduceMesh don’t result in substantial improvements either.

2 Likes

Hi cool! is there shrinkwrap api available in Rhino Common rhino wip?

R-d, That’s the next step.

3 Likes

The absolute first step would be to find out why the C# editor doesn’t work… :slight_smile:

(see here).

// Rolf

try upping the target edge length. Longer edges = less polygons.

Thanks @theoutside,

To preserve hard edges, one needs to keep the Target Edge Length quite low. These examples are in meters:

It would be awesome to have a Detect Hard Edges setting similar to how QuadRemesh works:

5 Likes

It’s already detecting hard edges. You’ll need to use ReduceMesh if you want the results lower than the original output. The algorithm is always going to try to achieve a near uniform target edge length based on your input. If the edge length is too long the sacrifice will be feature loss.

This is incredible! I wanted to test going from a very loose surface definition, typical of early-stage design, to a closed and softened mesh ready for the printer. This just made my life so much better.

Looking forward to that grasshopper command! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

More about ShrinkWrap on YouTube.

– Dale

12 Likes

This is great ! A lot of potential use cases IMHO…

1 Like

+1 for rhino common access to this functionality. There is some Rhino.Inside use cases I believe would be very powerful to benefit from this functionality.

2 Likes

very nice addition, just to understand the entire concept, under the term shrinkwrap i actually understand a foil which is wrapped over protruding geometry like below creating a minimal surface, is that what it can do either or is it basically meant just to simply melt geometry together solidifying it?

It’s just wrapping a mesh around things.

I voted for Carbonite but a there was a rebellion. :wink:

11 Likes