Rhino 8 Feature: ShrinkWrap

i always knew there is some dark force in the move :smiley: is it based on the same principle? could it be tweaked at some point? maybe MeshWrap would be a better name then :man_shrugging:

Physical shrink wrapping is a different thing.
You can get something somewhat close using this tool by using a positive offset then a negative one of the same magnitude (the closing) of a shape.

To get the actual surface formed by a sheet material stretched or vacuum formed around a shape you’d need some physical tensile simulation. The mesh formed by this new tool could maybe be useful as an intermediate step in that process though.

1 Like

As a fabricator who deals with some really sloppy mesh bodies from clients on a regular basis, this is a huge game changer.

Thank you for all the weekends and late nights we just got back.

12 Likes

Hi
could you tell me if this new function on rhino8 can resolve this fillet problems?
attached file
best regards
Max
test-shrink.3dm (372.2 KB)

You’re welcome

1 Like

@tay.othman beat me to it, but you could also just smooth the original sharp cornered object.

1 Like

The failing fillets are due to split faces. If you have the shape with proper trimmed faces like in the attached, it will fillet in one go without issues:

test-shrink_fixed.3dm (223.6 KB)

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Fillets on a Polyhedron object

This looks is a really powerful addition to Rhino!

I have to ask, is there any plans of expanding the uses of the underlying volumetric engine to GH?

Hi Louis -

From the first post in this thread:

we intend to roll out more features such as Grasshopper

-wim

1 Like

@wim Shrinkwrap is based on the Meshmachine tool of Kangaroo, no?

No shrinkwrap is not based on mesh machine. We will be exposing access via RhinoCommon and Grasshopper in near future v8 WIP’s.

1 Like

This is pretty awesome. I didn’t even know that we had the option to download WIP v8, but this video sent me down a research path. I’m getting a laser scanner, so this is particularly useful for me. Hopefully, the fee to upgrade from v7 to v8 won’t be too painful, especially since I just bought v7 a little over a year ago.

1 Like

Here’s the cost for upgrading V6 to V7. Historically all the version upgrades have been the same. As far as I remember it doesn’t matter when you bought your original version.

https://www.rhino3d.com/en/sales/north-america/United_States/

McNeel has one of the fairest upgrade price policies In the business.

15 Likes

Hoping for a discount period in the first 90 days following the release of V8. Same as V7 and V6 releases.

to be clear-
the only free part of v8 is the WIP. Once v8 is officially released, it will be a paid upgrade.

2 Likes

I don’t know why that slipped my mind. I’ve always taken advantage of it.

ShrinkWrap royally fails on this 3D scan. Happy to share the file if anyone wants it.

Looks like burnt coal.

I fight a lot with messy meshes so I’m interested in seeing how it behaves.

// Rolf