Rhino 7 freezes computer regularly during normal use

Hi All,

I am having a frustrating problem with Rhino 7, any help would be greatly appreciated. During normal use Rhino 7 freezes my laptop (which is high enough spec to run Karamba3D and Galapagos solvers with no issues), the whole device including the curser and needs to be restarted via holding down the power button. Normal use in my case means regular modelling, running grasshopper or just panning around in any display mode. I usually have Rhino running on its own and the laptop (fans, performance etc) is always running normally when this happens. It’s always seemingly random and only when running Rhino 7. All my drivers are up to date (I checked and manually updated them) and I have installed the latest Rhino 7 update, neither of these has fixed the issue. Prior to the freezing I was running Rhino 7 without any issues. Some weeks before before the freezes there was a windows 10 update, I am unsure if this affected anything. Also prior to freezing I was running Rhino and grasshopper on dual 4k monitors despite a 1GB video memory, also with no issues at all up until the freezes started. Thanks for your time.

Here’s the SystemInfo:

Rhino 7 SR11 2021-10-12 (Rhino 7, 7.11.21285.13001, Git hash:master @ ca75d3c67ded62b7ad8856f48d5ef2d6d1d926be)
License type: Educational, build 2021-10-12
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19043 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Unplugged [53% battery remaining]

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 2-5-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 - Build 27.20.100.9268
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 - Build 27.20.100.9268
Driver Date: 2-5-2021
Driver Version: 27.20.100.9268
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Karamba\License\Karamba3D_LicensePlugin_Rhino7.rhp “Karamba3DLicense”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.11.21285.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.11.21285.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.11.21285.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.11.21285.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.11.21285.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hello - please try disabling Karamba in Options > Plug-ins, then close and re-open Rhino - does the lockup still happen?

Next time it freezes, should that hap[pen, while it is frozen, please open Windows taskManager, find the Rhino 7 in the list, right click and choose Create dump file.

It will tell you where it made the file - it’s huge. Zip and send via www.rhino3d.com/upload with tech@mcneel.com as the recipient, and with a link back to this topic in your comments.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Thanks for a quick reply. Unfortunately creating a dump file while it is frozen will not work since when it freezes, it freezes my whole computer and all its response and functions; Ctrl+Alt+Delete nor any other action will respond. I will try disabling Karamba3D and seeing if that changes it, but that won’t be a long term option as my research makes extensive use of the plugin. Thanks.

You might try a GPU driver update:

That said, because of the little Intel GPU, your system does not meet Rhino’s minimum System Requirements.

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. It appears that all my drivers including GPU are up to date (I downloaded the Intel Support Assistant and checked). Also, the part which confuses me is that with my specs, Rhino 7 was running fine for months… Cheers

The Support Assistant is not reliable. You have to look up the driver manually.

In Windows Device Manager > Display Adapters, which Intel model GPU is it?

My guess is a recent Windows update caused the problem, but that’s just a guess.

I suspect this driver for 14 October is the current one:

Thank you, I have just finished installing the driver you linked. I will post in this thread again if the freezes persist after the update. Your guess about the windows update would roughly match when the freezing started. Here’s a screenshot from what is listed under Display Adapters, screenshot taken after updating just now:

If you’re serious about Rhino, you’ll need a computer better suited to running it.
My guess is a future Windows update will screw it up again. Microsoft tends to run rough shod over OpenGL.

The problem still persists. Tank you for the reading suggestion, though I do use a suitable desktop most of the time, it’s just my laptop which is experiencing the issue. I have asked around and a few of colleagues are also experiencing the freezing issue, very similar description to mine and in the same relative timeline.

Hi -

I suppose it’s worth to try a “clean install” of the Intel drivers following the recipe posted here:

Make sure to include step 4 of the uninstalling process!
-wim

Hi Wim,

Thank you for the suggestion, though I didn’t have to go about it following the steps you posted. It seems like the problem is fixed now, or at least it hasn’t frozen in the last week of work which it was doing every day or so beforehand. I installed Windows 11 and installed a new driver via the Intel website (the driver is now Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics, version 30.0.100.9955). Thank you all for your helpful comments. In the end, it at least appears that updating/changing the driver was the fix.