Rhino 7 Keeps Freezing Entire Computer

Hi,
Recently Rhino has been freezing shortly after opening - it freezes completely to the point that I cannot get task manager to start and I have to manually restart the computer by pressing the power button. It does not appear to be related to any specific task and the file I have been using is built totally from scratch - nothing weird copied in from other files.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Rhino7 and got rid of a number of plug ins. This seemed to fix things and it ran for the rest of that day but now - upon opening it again some days later - the problem is happening again.

I have checked the computers system for updates as well as the graphics card and it says they are up to date.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

System Info
Rhino 7 SR34 2023-9-24 (Rhino 7, 7.34.23267.11001, Git hash:master @ a37d83041828484840f2448d5b3e3770e46694f9)
License type: Educational, build 2023-09-24
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 11 (10.0.22621 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Unplugged [92% battery remaining] ~224 minutes left

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 7-21-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 - Build 30.0.101.3118
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 3.3

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 - Build 30.0.101.3118
Driver Date: 7-21-2022
Driver Version: 30.0.101.3118
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Users\shbel\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\Lumion LiveSync for Rhino (839d6175-32d1-4ffe-a0a4-b7fb43cf0ff5)\2021.3.25.899\Lumion\Rhino 7.0\LumionPlugin.rhp “Lumion LiveSync for Rhino”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.34.23267.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.34.23267.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.34.23267.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.34.23267.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.34.23267.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

The Intel integrated video is below-spec, it’s not fit for purpose. Reducing the hardware acceleration level in Rhino(options->view->openGL might help it crash less.

Jim

Is the Intel integrated video something that I could update?

Thanks so much!

Hi @Saleha_Belgaumi,

Your system doesn’t meet the minimum requirements to run Rhino 7 (either).

4 GB Video RAM or more recommended.

– Dale

Ah, shoot. Is it just the video RAM that is lacking?

Are these system requirements newly updated? I am confused because I have been using Rhino without issue for 2+ years on this device and am wondering if something changed on my end or rhinos.

Thanks for your time!

@Saleha_Belgaumi - try disabling the Lumion plug-in and see if Rhino stabilizes.

– Dale

I have disabled Lumion and will see how it goes.

Per my earlier question: Are there any other areas where my computer system is lacking? I want to know so I can try to resolve those issues if possible or get a new device if necessary.

Thanks!

Hi Saleha -

No, these have always been the same.

It’s not clear from your initial post if this “freezing” is happening with a specific file, or also when you simply launch Rhino with a factory-default template and create a simple box. If it’s file-specific, it’s likely your file has become more complicated over time.

As Jim mentioned, you can reduce the hardware acceleration level, but, from your SystemInfo data, that is already done. If you haven’t done that manually yourself, Rhino detected an issue with that GPU and did that automatically.

The GPU reports to Windows that it’s capable for running OpenGL version 4.6.0, but, if you haven’t changed that level manually yourself, that doesn’t appear to be the case.

When you update Windows, sometimes the drivers of the GPU cards get somewhat messed up. You are using drivers from July 2022. When you open the Notifications panel in Rhino, you should find links to a page where you can check if there are more recent drivers available for the GPU.

If that doesn’t make things better, a new device is in order.
-wim