Reordering layers

Been using Rhino for many years and never used this feature. I had my layers organized a certain way as I built my products. I accidentally hit a block at the top of the layers which reordered everything alphabetically. I clicked all of the categories at the top to try and get it back to no avail. Is it possible to get my custom layer organization back?

1 Like

I donā€™t think so. Iā€™ve learned to stay AWAY from that block panel.

Or turn this Feature off so I wonā€™t do it again?

My two cents: it seems weird that many interface things cannot be reversed with un-do / CTRL-Z. Only commands. Any reason why?

1 Like

Only way is that you hopefully saved the file just before doing this, then close (without saving (win) / reverting changes (mac)) and re-open the file. If not, youā€™re S.O.L. Donā€™t know if Versions can help you there. Longtime problem in both versions, the user has absolutely NO access to layer display ordering, even via scripting.

Nopeā€¦

ā€“Mitch

You can turn off all column sorting, uncheck Column Sort at bottom of Tools menu (hammer icon in Layers panel). Itā€™s been requested before that column sort be turned off by default or be un-doable: http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-30615

2 Likes

Yes, that should be at least unchecked by defaultā€¦ Itā€™s a ā€˜dangerousā€™ feature.

Philip

Great tip! I never knew that.

Are you familiar with the LayerStateManager, which is also listed under the hammer icon? It wonā€™t save your backside unless you have previously used it to save your preferred layer arrangement. If your workflow involves more layers arranged with more complexity than youā€™d like to manually recover, perhaps when you recognize things are getting complicated you could just use it to take a snapshot of where you are. Then the next time you hear yourself saying ā€œOOPSā€, you can recover back to someplace recognizable.

And what about timed auto backups of your file? Maybe it would be less work to re-create what youā€™ve created since the most recent than to try to rearrange your layers on the current version after your ā€œAw Sā€¦tā€.

I am aware of it, but I have never used it or even looked at it in a long time. I just checked it out ā€¦ and it looks very intuitive and powerful. Thanks for the reminder.

Or maybe you could name your layers like architects doā€¦ Iā€™m not an anchitect myself, but I found itā€™s worth it, I usualy work with 20 to 50, 100 layers, depending on the complexity of the model.
I use nested layers a lot, for storing object states, and that works very well for meā€¦
Itā€™s usually like this:

0.0_REF
ā€”0.1_Picture.Top
ā€”0.2_Picture.Front
1.0_PARTNAME
ā€”1.1_Guides
ā€”1.2_Rails
ā€”1.3_Profiles
ā€”1.4_Srf
------1.4_Cutters
ā€”1.5_Fillets
2.0_OTHERPARTS
ā€”2.1_Etc.Etcā€¦

With hystory on and sometimes Grasshopper, Iā€™m basically using Rhino in ā€œParametric Modeā€ā€¦
And eliminates the problems that hitting ā€œsort by nameā€ by accident causes on your layers.
Maybe not optimal, but itā€™s the way I learned. would be very happy if someone showed a better way to do it eitherā€¦

Blockquote You can turn off all column sorting, uncheck Column Sort at bottom of Tools menu (hammer icon in Layers panel). Itā€™s been requested before that column sort be turned off by default or be un-doable: http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-30615

awesome! this is very handy if you want to export to illustator, since layer order=displayorder in IL.

the coolest thing would be if one could save a sorted layer column state via an option in the layer states panel. @pascal would that be possible to script or integrate at some time?

best,
anika

RH-31839 is fixed in the latest WIP