Read-only file

I’ve been having issues with V6 when opening files on our server.

I had a few issues in recent days with files only opening in read-only mode. I updated the beta yesterday and made sure the files were saved as V6 files which yesterday seemed to fix it.

However, I worked on a file during the day (with many incremental saves) and then left to go home. Having come back this morning, opening the same file is only opening in read only mode.

The files are saved on a Synology NAS and shared via AFP.

Edit
To keep track of what’s going on here we have:

• Synology 1515+ with read cache SSD
  • QNAP with read cache SSD
  • Promise (details unknown)

All exhibit the problems, some seemingly more consistently than others

Hi, having the same problem.
Did you find the solution for this?

Nope! Sorry you’re having the same issues but I’m relieved I’m not alone!!
@dan

Anybody from McNell who could give an advice?

I do not have a good idea - this is not a GoogleDrive or DropBox or other synced thing but a ‘proper’ network drive, correct?

-Pascal

Yep, we’ll ours is. We have a Synology nas

@dan or @marlin - do you have any idea about this one?

-Pascal

@brian Can you please see if you can reproduce this on a Synology NAS?

I have to say that it hasn’t happened for a few days now so perhaps it has been fixed inadvertently?

Ok, please keep an eye out and let us know if it resurfaces.

@petumatr, are you still seeing this?

Hi, seems it is gone :slight_smile:

1 Like

hey @dan,
It seems it did come back with the latest update:

Two of our colleagues working on the latest Beta do get this all the time, just on the network drive (tested that).

I don’t think it has to do with the model but uploaded it anyways …

Untitled box.3dm (2.2 MB)

Thanks for letting us know. Is your network drive a Synology NAS @msmr?

No.

It’s a QNAP

Ugh. I don’t know if we’ll be able to reproduce this here. It is concerning. One user who has a Synology NAS said that this issue went away after their network technician tweaked some sort of latency setting, but I don’t have details.

While there might be a work around m, at least for me when I was having similar issues, it was just with Rhino. That would suggest there’s an issue with rhino when working on files over a network.

I haven’t had this issue for a while though so I’d thought it had been resolved. Will keep an eye out.

What is the typical 3dm file size being saved on the network drive?

I can’t remember now because it was a while ago when it last happened but I imagine it was with largish files. I’ve seen people talking about multi GB files and it was nothing like that. Probably 50MB +

Ok. Good to know. I wouldn’t expect problems with 50-500 MB but I’m only speculating.

Tested in 6.17 (release candidate); problem is now effective on ANY file, even as small as 2,6 MB.

I even get the “read only” notice SOMETIMES (e. g.: after opening the second file once, but not saving it) when opening from the “Autosave Information” folder (a. k. a. NOT on our QNAP NAS):

first file:

second file:

see the file folder attached (ZIP)! — 7DFFAFEE-FB97-4F60-AADD-902952F229D2.genstore.noindex.zip (42.2 KB)

• macOS 10.14.6 — Mojave
  • QNAP NAS (Network Attached Storage)
  • problem on at least 3 computers on the same network/NAS.