"Parameter is Incorrect" - Rhino 6

Hello all,

First time posting, and it is potentially not even a rhino issue…

I am trying to open rhino files after a large transfer of data in our office and am receiving the error, “Parameter is Incorrect.” I know this is generally a windows issue, but it only seems to be affecting my rhino file’s ability to open. I am hoping that someone here has had some experience with this, and can give me some direction on how to remedy the issue.

Thank you!

Hi Stephen - can you start Rhino in Safe Mode and see if the file opens?

-Pascal

Pascal, thank you for your suggestion. I have tried to do this and I receive the same error, unfortunately…

I can open rhino on its own, so I thought that I would try importing a file into the program, and once the geometry imports, the same message comes up and then rhino crashes.

-Stephen

Hi Stephen - is this behavior restricted to some files or is for all files? If it is not all files, it would be best if you could find the smallest file that shows the problem, SaveSmall, Zip and upload here

www.rhino3d.com/upload

to my attention…

thanks,
-Pascal

Hey there,
sorry for necro-posting, but the issue two of my users are experiencing seems related, so this looked like a good place.
Sometimes, particularly when they try saving 2D-files to the usual network location all our projects are saved to and everybody’s working off, they get a rather unspecific ‘The parameter is incorrect’ error message. Rhino crashes and needs to be closed via the Task Manager. In some cases the save still seemed to have worked. This apparently doesn’t happen, if saving to a local location like the desktop.
I’ll post the output of _SystemInfo below (blanked machine name, obfuscated user name). Any idea or guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jasper

Rhino 6 SR17 2019-8-23 (Rhino 6, 6.17.19235.15041, Git hash:master @ 06b69c5cc21d880aa793a5a7cfd454a66f6213bb)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-08-23
License details: LAN Zoo Network Node

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name:

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 9-5-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 436.30

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-5-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3630
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\Programs\Enscape\Bin64\Enscape.Rhino6.Plugin.dll “Enscape.Rhino.Plugin” 0.0.19263.923
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros 6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedPositions.rhp “Named Position”

Hello - Can you try disabling both Vray and Enscape in Options > PlugIns page and then restart Rhino and try the same save operations that cause the problems? Any different?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, I have the exact same problem. It happens upon saving the file. All plugins are disabled. Rhino is completely unresponsive after the error message appears. The fuzzy logic of the command line dies, and all buttons you can still click but they won’t have any effect.

All instances of the Rhino.exe have to be closed, the bugged one force-closed via the Task-Manager. After the save of the problematic file appears to be correct, but saving again will reinstate the error.

Is there a way I can send you an example file privately?

Hey there,
now have two more users reporting the same issue. Here is one of the systems, vray disabled.
Can confirm that the save still seems to work correctly even if Rhino becomes completely unresponsive.
One user reporting this also happens working on 3D files now. Current work around seems to be saving locally.
jas

Rhino 6 SR18 2019-9-23 (Rhino 6, 6.18.19266.14201, Git hash:master @ 3d84f88dec99b2f4e8b7497e739ed2adc2ba8ef6)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-09-23
License details: LAN Zoo Network Node

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name:

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P2000 (NVidia) Memory: 5GB, Driver date: 9-19-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 431.94

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-19-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3194
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 5 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.18.19266.14201
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\export_ACAD.rhp “AutoCAD file export : export_ACAD”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.18.19266.14201
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Users***\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\PanelingTools (6caed836-bc06-4ebc-b1fd-e10886a0dc94)\2018.12.17.906\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\import_ACAD.rhp “AutoCAD file import: import_ACAD”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.18.19266.14201
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.18.19266.14201
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

@DuncanW, @SOE_admin - Can you try to reproduce this when running Rhino in safe mode (i.e. not just manually disabling selected plug-ins)?
Also, it’s not clear to me if this only concerns specific files or if a new file with a simple box from a factory-default template also behaves like this.
Finally, Jasper mentions that saving locally works fine - can you describe the network location where this fails?

You can upload files on Rhino - Upload to Support - make sure to mention this thread’s url in the comments.
-wim

Just got the same error for a file opened from the network, but never seen this before. It just did the latest update directly before this, so it might be related to that. The file was opening fine all of last week before the update.

I tried opening the .3dmbak file that is saved next to the .3dm file and that opened with no error.

Hope that helps in some way.

I get the same error right after saving a file a 3d file, after the save command Rhino is unusable and have to shut it down through task manager. If I reopen the file is all good until next save.

I have another little nugget to throw into the mix. One user now experienced the same issue when closing a file and clicking ‘No’ when beeing asked if she wants to save changes (of which there where none).
Every other day the issue pops up with one or two additional users working on very different kinds of files, 2D and 3D.
Is there a way to have RH6 created a verbose log of what it tries to do? So we could maybe at least pin down what kind of ‘Incorrect parameters’ it is complaining about? In the file path? In the data of the file itself? In the access parameters to the network? … you get my drift.
jas

The problem goes away when working locally. It has to do with saving to a network apparently.

• this also happens when Rhino runs with /safemode

I keep having more users “joining the club” and agree it does strongly feel like a network share / permission issue, but have no indication what exactly might be the issue. I actually reset all ACLs for one of the locations involved and repropagated permissions down the file tree, but to no avail. Also it seems to work just fine for most “regions” of the share file trees.
Still wondering if I could be kindly pointed to an option for Rhino to give me a verbose logfile…

@brian - do you have an idea about this?

-Pascal

There’s a way to enable verbose logging, but it only really tracks startup/shutdown related problems. There likely won’t be anything for us to learn from that log.

However, it might be that running Microsoft’s ProcMon tool and filtering only to Rhino.exe will show us what is going wrong. This should track all file and registry operations (there will be a lot of them), and may highlight the issue.

The problem does not occur in Rhino 5 by the way, which saves normally.

What should we do?

In a big file library with many levels of linked blocks, where everything is organised to point to network locations, we must save to the network in order to move on with the project. It is impossible to work locally.

I hope this can be resolved quickly. Or else, where would I find instructions on how to roll back Rhino 6 updates?

One more note on this:
Interestingly one of the other processes of Rhino 6 which I had opened while the error occurred in another one, posted this in the command line. I presume on attempting to autosave:

FileIsReadonly exception caught:
The process cannot access the file ‘\discretion.3dm’ because it is being used by another process.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream…ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access)
at BlockEdit.Editor.FileIsReadonly(String fileName)

^ is this at all providing a clue?

Have you tried running ProcMon, as described before, to track what the OS is doing when you get this message? We can’t fix things we can’t see - and nobody at McNeel sees this problem.

Were you using BlockEdit in any of the instances of Rhino? This message looks like a warning related to BlockEditor.

Hi Brian,

I understand, but you will also understand that in my day to day job trying to meet deadlines I simply cannot do elaborate Rhino troubleshooting. I’m trying to report what is immediately available.

With the new Rhino 6 SR19 2019-10-22 (Rhino 6, 6.19.19295.01001, Git hash:master @ 0af62045bd35259d4c2367dbf7f9ef94ded29299), we now at least have a normal Rhino crash upon saving. You no longer need to kill Rhino’s process manually.

I have included the file against my company’s policy not to, and described the issue, as I trust this stays confidential.

The problem only occurs when overwriting files on a network location. Saving to a new file works.

Is the upload at all insightful, or is there no other way than to make time for ProcMon?

Thanks,
Duncan.