Problems with printing 4 rendered detail views

I have a model with 3 layouts, each with 4 detail views (viewports), in render display mode.
Printing takes forever. Perhaps is my machine but fairly simple steps take very long.
I tried with two different drivers Rhino PDF and Microsoft PDF.
I timed the steps in the process:

For the Microsoft PDF (the layout Default driver):

• 3 minutes from ‘Ctrl+P’ until ‘menu is clickable’ (slightly after print preview)
  • 5 minutes from ‘Clicking Print button’ until ‘Prompt for PDF name’ (with a pointless pop-up preview)
  • 11 minutes from ‘Enter name’ until PDF File creation time

For the Rhino PDF tested immediately after

• 3 minutes from ‘Ctrl+P’ until ‘menu is clickable’ (slightly after print preview)
  • 4 minutes for changing to Rhino PDF driver until menu is clickable
  • 1 minute from ‘Clicking Print button’ until ‘Prompt for PDF name’
  • on going for 30 minutes no PDF yet…

I don’t have the ideal machine, but I am honestly doubting that is it. I mean, 27 minutes for the MS PDF already seems absurd, but the RhinoPDF seems to be even slower. For the testing I am running only one instance of rhino, and I have the browser opened.

I will shut it down - it has been 45 minutes.

Besides the hardware, another suspicion I have is that I use a lot of referenced blocks. Could that be part of the issue?
Any ideas welcomed.
N

Hi Nuno -

I suppose you could easily test that. In a new file, create a simple box and then make 3 layouts with 4 details in the Rendered display mode.
How does that perform?
-wim

Well taking the few main surfaces and the layouts (i.e. without all the referenced blocks) makes it printing faster. Nevertheless, the shadows on the render views are still no good - see Quick Question: should display mode rendered show shadows when sun is on? - Rhino / Rhino for Windows - McNeel Forum
N

A post was merged into an existing topic: Quick Question: should display mode rendered show shadows when sun is on?