Problem with dimension lines after latest update

Hi @djhg,
Please send a file and a procedure to duplicate the issue.
Again, this is a good check list for bug submission:

Thanks for your help.
Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier
McNeel Technical Support and Training
Seattle, WA

Is that post for this thread, Mary?
It’s already been reported as a bug by the Rhino team
I contacted phone help moment ago about this issue though, and it’s urgent to discover how to handle it, thanks.:

I would like to post that because the issue originally posted on this thread won’t be fixed until R7, I remain on SR11, putting up with a host of bugs, some of the most serious of which are these:

I need to reiterate - in line with the discourse on that post about prioritizing fixes, that having to manually add dimensions less than 6’ is unfeasible when my projects have scores - one has hundreds - of such dimensions. Architecture or Interior design or set design is of a scale where the issue isn’t acceptable.

If this won’t be fixed, can you suggest a workaround? If I change units to inches should the issue then only be present with dimensions less than 6 inches? ( I can test it and see, but i’m not confident that the presence of yet another bug won’t obstruct the effectiveness of such experimentation.)

I’m there with you, still stuck with SR11, waiting for a miracle that I know won’t come. I would be more than happy if there was at least a global setting hidden somewhere in Advanced options that would allow me to change the behaviour to the pre-SR12 state. That wouldn’t affect any files, nor dimension styles. I don’t need control on individual dimension lines basis which is what’s implemented in V7 I assume. (And I will say it again - I consider changing something like this during a Service Update without an option to have it back a very unfortunate choice)

Hi Simon,
Is this the issue that you are referring to?

• Rhino 6 sr0-sr11 the line would be drawn between the arrows if the text was placed on the outside.This was different then Rhino 5 and causing issue with compatibility for some customers who upgraded from Rhino 5 to Rhino 6.
  • Rhino 5 and Rhino 6 sr12-srx now have the same behavior. The arrows are not drawn between the extension lines when the text is forced on the out side.
  • Rhino 7 WIP give you control over whether the line is drawn or not between the extension lines. This is both in the Annotation style and can be have overrides set per dimension in the Object Properties.

This is not correct. Control is both in the Annotation style and can be have overrides set per dimension in the Object Properties.
To make it work like Rhino 6.11, uncheck this option under Arrow in the annotation style:

See the attached simple file in Rhino 7. I have create two simple Annoation styles: one that draws the line and one that does not:

You can install Rhino 7 side-by-side with Rhino 6. It would good to find out now in the WIP stage if it is working for you. Currently default file format that Rhino 7 WIP save is a Rhino 6 file.

So if we can get you using the Rhino 7 wip , you will not only have the control you need, but you will be up to date.

Let me know if I missed or made an incorrect assumption here.
If you are still having problems, please send:

1. simple file and image that will sown us what is wrong
  2. procedure that will illustrate the issue for us here.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier
McNeel Technical Support and Training
Seattle, WA

Hi Mary,
yes, that’s exactly what I meant, sorry if I wasn’t clear.

What I was saying is that I do not necessarily need this level of control, a global switch not tied to annotation styles would be a sufficient dirty fix for Rhino 6 in my, and I assume most other peoples’ case. Of course having it implemented the way Rhino 7 does is the optimal way but I understand you do not want to make this change in Rhino 6 because it would introduce incompatibilities within different V6 versions and could screw up dim styles in existing files (but then again, the previous “bugfix” already did that).

By the way, I would still love to see an example where not having the dimension line between outside arrows while the text is set to be placed above the line is the required behaviour. All this time I have a suspicion this is only required when the text is in line with the dimension line and that that’s what some people complained about.

I will perhaps install Rhino 7 WIP if I have time for experimenting (which I usually don’t have at work) but as I said before, that’s not really a solution. I don’t know if and when my company switches to V7 (they would only do that if we can convince them it will make our work substantially easier, as was the case with V6 thanks to the upgraded rendered view and integrated raytracing for example) and until then I need to stay compatible with all my colleagues (if I save as Rhino 6, I assume the information about the dimension line setting is lost, even if I then open it in Rhino 7 or is it not?).

Hi Simon,
Thanks for the additional comments here.

The global switch back is complicated to make this late in the product life cycle and the behavior might be confusing to those that are used to the current behavior . However, we do understand some users that would welcome the global switch. The current plan is to push forward and make Rhino 7 WIP work well in all possible situations.

The way to do this is with an override on the dimension object. You will need to set the Arrow placement to the outside. The dimension line will not be drawn on the inside while the dimensions are on the outside. Since you would not want all the arrows on other dimensions to be on the outside, changing the style does make sense. (You may also make a style with this setting and set the one dimension to it.) See attached example file. Arrow example.3dm (118.9 KB)

True. The Fit Arrow setting will be restored in Rhino 6. But the line “Draw dimension line …” setting is lost when you open the model and save it in Rhino 6.

Let me know if this works for you.
Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

Hi Mary,
thanks for the reply.

More confusing than changing the behavior between two service updates without warning and without a way to change it back? Especially if that switch would be turned off by default? Or even hidden in Advanced options? Ok, I get that you don’t want to add features (although I’d call it a bugfix) to Rhino 6 and want everyone to switch to Rhino 7 instead…

No, I think we misunderstand each other. I was trying to get to the core issue:

1. As far as I know, this is how eg. Americans want it (Rhino 6 current behavior):
    dimensions01-correct

2. This is NOT how they want it (Rhino 6 original behavior):
    dimensions01-wrong

3. This is how eg. Europeans want it (Rhino 6 original behavior):
    dimensions02-correct

4. This is NOT how they want it (Rhino 6 current behavior):
    dimensions02-wrong

Now, in my opinion, cases 2) and 4) is how nobody wants it. If I’m not right in this, I wanted to see a counter-example.

So what I was getting at is, whether the correct behavior for Rhino 6 shouldn’t really be that the visibility of the dimension line with outside arrows is conditioned by whether the text is set in line (-> not visible) or above the line (-> visible). That is my question.

Professionals in Architecture use number 3 whatever continent we’re on, unless we are dealing with tiny dimensions. To have it perform in any other way for any dimensions under 6’ is a serious limitation.

1 Like

I’m from America and #1 is not how we want it. :rofl:

Can you elaborate? Do you use the #3 option or some other combination? Or even something not shown here?

I really wanna look at the user’s eyes that cried for removing the dim line for outside text/smaller dims. Really, WTF kinda industry are they even in?..

So you use #2, but with aligned dimensions?

I strongly disagree with that. Above line should absolutely exist because the “This is bad” part of your image is exactly how it should work according to ISO 129 (and all the different standards that are based on it), so pretty much the main standard outside North America (which uses ANSI instead), or at least in Europe. I’ve never seen the “outside” style and find it very confusing but I can’t obviously say that there isn’t some country/industry that uses it.

From ISO 129:
obrazek

However the text position and orientation isn’t really what this topic is about, that’s the other one you linked.

I can’t really speak for North America but even just using image search, looking for technical drawings with imperial units leads me to believe that at least some part of the industry does use exactly what I’ve shown in #1, with the lines missing. One example from many - first Google image search result for “ansi technical drawing”

RH-55095 is fixed in the latest WIP

Rhino 6 SR20 release candidate is out and this issue is finally fixed! I let Rhino install the update and everything seems to be working as intended, like it worked in the recent daily build.

Thank you very much for bringing this feature from V7 to V6.

For those not aware, there’s now an option under Arrows in Annotation style / Dimension settings that says “Draw dimension line between extension lines if arrows are outside”.

2 Likes