Pdf from new Mac Rhino in Beta Catalina

Running Catalina…from the print menu…attempting to save as a pdf … get Error while printing (did this several times). Also tried Save as adobe pdf–nothing happens, not even a error message. Did find a work around–open in preview and then export to pdf. Thoughts?

@dan FYI

Hi @debbooth-

Thanks for reporting this.

Unfortunately, I’m not able to reproduce this on my Mac. Here is what I’m doing:

1. Launch Rhino 6 for Mac (6.18.19266.13352) running on macOS Catalina 10.15 Beta (19A573a).
  2. Start a new modeling window.
  3. Run the Box command and draw a box near the origin.
  4. Navigated to File > Print….
  5. From the Print dialog, in the lower left-hand PDF drop-down, selected Save as PDF
  6. In the Save sheet, I changed the title to Test.pdf and set the Where: to my Desktop and clicked Save.

Test.pdf appears on my Desktop and shows a box.

What are we doing differently?

-Dan

Hi Dan,
Basically I did the same.

1. launch Rhino 6 for Mac running Catalina 10.15
  2. tried with a file I was working on
  3. Navigated to file print and same
  4. print dialog–drop down save as pdf–get that error message.
  5. Also did what you did opened a new window, tried the same, same error message.

The error while printing come up over the preparing to save window almost immediately each time.
Also tried save as Adobe PDF – nothing happens, no error message and no file
Also tried save as postscript–error message

Hi Dan,

I downloaded and installed again–and everything seems to be working now. Perhaps I had a corrupt file.
Thanks for being so quick with the response and I really like this mac version–great improvement! Wow.

1 Like

Hi–its me again. The problem has returned. It worked fine one time after I reinstalled but since then…same problem, same error message Error while printing. As I said, I can work around it by going to preview and exporting as a pdf–just adds another step.

Hi @debbooth I am having the exact same problem. Were you able to find the source of the problem or a solution ??

You’re probably NOT running an old Beta Catalina.
Please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino V6 and post the results.

Thanks

Rhino 6 SR21 2019-12-15 (Public Build, 6.21.19349.01012, Git hash:master @ a9aff0b2a2e07411210fef500868737069a15926)
License type: Evaluation, build 2019-12-15
License details: Stand-Alone
Expires on: 2020-03-10

Apple Intel 64-bit macOS Version 10.15.1 (Build 19B88) (Physical RAM: 4Gb)
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookAir7,2
Machine name: Maria’s MacBook Air
Language: en-US (MacOS default)

Intel® HD Graphics 6000 (OpenGL ver:4.1 INTEL-14.2.16)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel Inc.
Render version: 4.1
Shading Language: 4.10
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: n/a
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1536 MB
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000
Displays: Color LCD (126dpi 1x)

Graphics processors
Intel HD Graphics 6000 (1536 MB)
Color LCD (1440 x 900)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
Broadcom: Ultrathin Touch Mouse, Ultrathin Touch Mouse, Ultrathin Touch Mouse

Third party kernel extensions
com.avg.FileShield (4.0.0) C704FE1C-8573-360B-A302-381D62483609
com.avg.PacketForwarder (2.1) 9A7FE361-ED85-3583-8688-7536F04415A2

Third party plugins
/usr/lib/log/liblog_network.dylib

Rhino plugins
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.21.19349.1012
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 6.21.19349.1002
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.21.19349.1012
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 6.21.19349.1002
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.21.19349.1012
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.21.19349.1012
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 6.21.19349.1002
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.21.19349.1012
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render” 6.21.19349.1002
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/PlugIns/AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools” 6.21.19349.1002
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 6.21.19349.1002

Correct, my Catalina is not Beta. What can I do?

Mine seems to be running fine now making those PDFs. I was so used to opening in preview and then making them, I forgot to check. I am running a Beta Catalina…not an old one–but current version 10.15.3

Ok, spoke too soon. It still fails. So clearly there is a problem. It could be the Beta Catalina-- but for now I will do the work around. It’s a pain, adds a step but unless someone has a better solution?

Hey there,

has anyone found a solution yet? I am having the same problem with using Rhino 6 with Catalina 10.15.3.

Or: how the trick with the preview works? That would be pretty helpful already :slight_smile:

I don’t think they believe there is a problem since they can’t seem to duplicate it. Mine doesn’t work. So what I have done is open it in preview and then from there save a pdf. It works but adds a couple of steps.

Hi,

I am running a Catalina beta 10.15.6 and I am not able to print a pdf without first opening a doc in preview and then saving it from there as a pdf. I reported this problem back in Sept but I can’t find a solution. I know I am not the only person with the problem…I know it’s minor on the scale of human events. This is from a Mac Rhino 6 and also same is true of the WIP Mac Rhino. Any ideas?

Sorry, what are the steps you’re following?
Are you trying to Print from Finder?
What are the specific steps you are following?

For me—from MAC Rhino—in 6 or in the new WIP— I can’t directly print to pdf. I need to open with preview and then export as pdf.

When I Print from Mac Rhino, I setup my sheet size, scale, etc. using my default printer, then click the PDF menu in the bottom left of the print dialog, and choose Save as PDF.
No problem for me.

There is a bug if you run the Export command from the file and choose a Shaded/rendered print. The print preview is right but It comes out Wireframe in the PDF.

What are you doing differently?

This seems to have been fixed–Thank you.