Parametric Pattern Help

Hello, I am trying to write a script that emulates this pattern so I can make a 3D print for it. It looks to me like it uses some combination of Voronoi and Weaverbird, but I’m not super skilled in Grasshopper. Can someone help me create this? Thanks.

These are sold by RedBubble, so it might be easier just to buy one!

Hello
first it isn’t Voronoi. Voronoi makes convex polygons. Here there are some concave polygon.
when you have something like that to do analyse the pattern.

There is a grid that is symbolized by blue lines. On the intersections points where removed. So you’ll have to make an algorithm that removes the blue points

Then moves the points on Z randomly
Then use a classical network thickening.

6 Likes

Hi mbaumga6,

Not sure if you are trying to achieve a 3D version of this but I put together a really quick iteration of what you are saying in 2D using Paving Kit, which is part of the Land Kit plugin. Definitely a bunch of different ways to do this, but Paving Kit allowed a custom tessellation pattern to repeat across a larger area. A simple script add on using attractor points would allow you to add some 3-dimensionality to this as well. Let me know if this is what you are asking about and I would be willing to mock up the attractor script as well!

Thanks that’s helpful!

Hey bensummay, this is great! I was looking to make it 3 dimensional but not by much. I just want to be able to 3d print it.