Messy textures with AMD RX 6700 XT

Dear all,

I recently had to replace my GPU (AMD FirePro W9100) with a new one (AMD RX 6700 XT), now textures come up quite messy in Rendered view:

… while they look correct in Raytracing view:

Is there any setting I have to deal with?
thanks
Cyana

Hi Cyana -
Please attach your SystemInfo data and a small 3dm test file that shows this behavior on your system.
-wim

Hi Wim,
thank you for your reply. Here the SystemInfo:

Rhino 7 SR12 2021-11-9 (Rhino 7, 7.12.21313.06341, Git hash:master @ 5590153808223b57a9f41516a969fd949aa81bff)
License type: Kommerziell, Build 2021-11-09
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19041 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP 

Standard graphics configuration.
  Primary display and OpenGL: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT (AMD) Memory: 12GB, Driver date: 10-5-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.14761 Compatibility Profile Context 21.10.2 30.0.13025.5005
    > Accelerated graphics device with 7 adapter port(s)
        - Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #0
        - Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
  Safe mode: Off
  Use accelerated hardware modes: On
  Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
  Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU's maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
  Mip Map Filtering: Linear
  Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
  Render version: 4.6
  Shading Language: 4.60
  Driver Date: 10-5-2021
  Driver Version: 30.0.13025.5005
  Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
  Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
  Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
  Total Video Memory: 12272 MB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
  C:\Program Files\SimLab\Plugins\SimLab Rhino Integration\SimLabComposerIntegration.rhp	"SimLab Composer Integration"	

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp	"Commands"	7.12.21313.6341
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp	"Renderer Development Kit"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp	"Rhino Render"	7.12.21313.6341
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp	"Legacy Rhino Render"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp	"RDK_EtoUI"	7.12.21313.6341
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp	"Renderer Development Kit UI"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp	"Snapshots"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp	"RhinoCycles"	7.12.21313.6341
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp	"Toolbars"	7.12.21313.6341
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp	"3Dconnexion 3D Mouse"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp	"Displacement"	

I’ve exported some of the tubes into the attached file. In rendered view, they show up completely black. In raytracing view, they have their correct white weathered texture.
Thank you for your help.
Cyana
MT.3dm (3.5 MB)

Any news?

Hi Cyana -

On my end, the Raytraced and the Rendered display modes are pretty much identical:

Does your Raytraced view look similar?

If it does, you could first try to disable the SimLab Composer plug-in and restart Rhino. If that doesn’t help, I would try a clean install of the GPU drivers. You can follow these instructions to do that:

Make sure to include step 4 of the uninstalling process!
-wim

Hi Wim,

thank you for your reply. Your displays appear to be correct.

This is how it looks on my side:

Raytracing is the correct one.

I’ve deactivated the SimLab Composer plugin, however this did not cure the problem. The GPU driver is freshly installed as this is a brand new GPU. It seems that the AMD RX 6700 XT might not be fully supported (it also crashes when using ProRender) ?

best greetings and thanks
cyana

I was wondering if this is still a problem, or whether driver updates since then may have alleviated the problems?

Hi Nathan,

thank you very much for getting back on me. Yesterday AMD released a new driver, however the problem still persists. It’s quite inconsistent, however as you can see here:

To the left is the block definition, that looks fine, while the block instance in the main file is messy. But at the same time, the horizontal arm in the block definition is a block instance itself with the very same weathered white material, and it looks fine in the definition of the tail service mast, but not on the platform.

thanks
Cyana

That is quite peculiar. Since this is in Rendered mode I think maybe @DavidEranen and @jeff should be involved, although I’m not sure what they could easily do here. But I hope that they have some ideas of things to do or check.

Thanks Nathan for your reply. Is there anything I can help with?

thanks
Cyana

Hi @Cyana,

We’ve been able to reproduce this only once with your file. Do you think it will be easier to reproduce with the larger version of your file? If so, please attach it here or you can send it privately through Rhino - Upload to Support. Is there something that you can do with your model which will cause the problem to happen more frequently?

-David

Hi David,

thank you for your reply. I will upload a substantial portion of the model (the full model consists of +500 files), it will take a little while to sort it out.

On my side, the problem is persistent, but not consistent - meaning that it appears all the time but might affect different objects or materials. It is somehow related to the GPU, because it used to work fine with my prior GPU (AMD FirePro W9100) with rare exclusions that I reported here in the past but could not be fully resolved.

From my personal experience, once a file is affected, you can’t get rid of the problem anymore. In this particular case, it started when I added the texture for the tower and did the UV mapping. Once assigned, the more or less plain white weathered material starts behaving odd.

Best greetings and thanks!
Will put together the demo and upload it on support.
Cyana

I’ve uploaded the Demo. Please switch to raytracing view to see how the objects should look like.

Thanks
Cyana

The other texture problem that might be related is that textures sometimes come up messy although they look correct in the UV-editor. This mostly happens when the object is within a block instance like here:

But oddly enough, sometimes it’s the other way round - the texture is messy in the object file but correct within the instance.

When I (pseudo-) edit the object and update in the main file, the texture of other objects might start to get messy, too.

edit: I forgot to mention that these are real texture glitches that persist also in raytracing view, in contrast to the other one.

Hi @Cyana,

Thanks for the larger model. I can now reproduce this on my computer very easily. I am currently investigating this. Just thought I’d let you know!

-David

1 Like

Thanks David for your feedback and good luck on the bug hunt!