Rendered elements losing texture mapping in viewport and print

Im still struggling with texture maps in R6… I cannot rely on my surfaces to hold their texture maps at any time. sometimes they work sometimes they dont. Im not sure what im missing here.

In my current situation, the map is dropping from a trimmed surface, a imported image as a picture. So i planar mapped the rectangular surface. Then drew a line to split the surface. Im repeating this surface.

But this happens alot on any surface that i have mapped. I work alot in the shaded view with object display modes set to render.

I just now tested the viewport in rendered mode and now my screen is coming up black.? Its really frustrating to not be able to use Rhino the way its intended to be used.

IS there any solution to this? My graphics card is up to date, i will post the system info here.

Rhino 6 SR14 2019-3-5 (Rhino 6, 6.14.19064.4371, Git hash:master @ d340745acddd7cdc24cc31904f467821e90ed976)
License type: Evaluation, build 2019-03-05
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: rhinolouvers321 ()
Expires on: 2019-05-18

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-CEMFAAI

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 11GB, Driver date: 3-1-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 419.35

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-1-2019
Driver Version: 25.21.14.1935
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 11 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.14.19064.4371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.14.19064.4371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.14.19064.4371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.14.19064.4371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\import_OBJ.rhp “Import_OBJ” 6.14.19064.4371

Thanks for your help.

Is this situation unique to me or have others experienced this? Im willing to try anything

Hi @sbontly,

Do you have a way of reproducing this consistently? Are you able to reproduce it by starting from a new Rhino scene? Anything that would help us get on the right track to seeing the problem is helpful.

I tried creating a plane, putting planar mapping on it, assigning a textured material to the plane and then switching to Shaded mode and setting SetObjectDisplayMode to Rendered. Looks OK to me so far.

-David

Hi David,

Thanks for responding!

This is what really confuses me. I cannot always reproduce. The only thing i can think of its directly related to the graphics card and its integration with rhino. I do not seem to have any issues in other software.

The screen constantly flickers when i put into rendered mode. When i hold down my mouse and orbit, it will glitch to black. It will not reset until another command is recognized. Sometimes surfaces that are textured just disappear. and reappear the moment my viewport moves positions.

Ive discussed this with my co workers and they do not seem to have my issues. :frowning:

The only thing that comes to my mind that might help is a clean resintall of the video driver, even if it is up to date. I’ve seen in the past and admittedly not often, that simply re-installing the current driver can sort things out.

-Pascal

1 Like

Hey Pascal,
It seems to have made it worse. When i did the clean install it told me it would reset my GPU settings. So i went back into the control panel and reapplied these settings. Does anything look out of the ordinary?

GPU%20settings%201 GPU%20settings%202

Thanks again for your time.

Hello - Ugh. see if turning off Vertical Sync does anything good.

-Pascal

Ok update here,

knock on wood. I used the DDU API to completely wipe all trace of the graphics card and reinstalled. Ive started up rhino and the render mode seems to be working.

I will work here for a bit and post my observations by my EOD. Thanks for bearing with me

@sbontly,

I would recommend not changing anything from their default values in the NVIDIA control panel. If things work well in Rhino, changing one setting at a time will make it easier to spot which settings (if any) might cause problems.

And by the way, if there is a setting which DOES cause a problem, we’d love to know about it :slight_smile:

Morning,

I forgot to send this before, but unfortunately it still does not like rendered mode. Black screen more times than not when moving around the viewport. But if i was to then go into a different display mode, and return to rendered, it will reset. Reflecting on it, its only when elements are changed it occurs. It does not happen when im moving around the scene.

Other observations in render mode:
when sliding a transparent material to more or less opaque, all non transparent materials in the view port default to wire frame. or screen turns to black

Some times when turning on a layer the screen will go black. turning off the layer will bring the view port back up.

@DavidEranen I will try this process as soon as i can and let you know what i find!, for now i will reset all to defaults.

One thing i should note. all other display modes function as expected. not sure if thats relevant.

For instance a work around ive been using is artistic mode with my object set to render mode.

example of a texture map… as soon as i move the surface it finds the map again… but super inconsistent.

Is there anything coming up on your end?

I reported this problem as well but McNeel could not pin it down and I haven’t seen it happen on my side lately but it looks like the exact or similar problem.
RM

I, too, am having texture map problems with Rhino 6. They are fine for a while then suddenly I change view or or model something new and the texture maps turn black and even reapplying them does not help once they’ve “blacked out”.

Any thoughts?

As David wrote:

From what I read further up in this thread, the entire screen goes black and this is somewhat easily fixed by moving an object or turning on/off a layer. Is that what you are experiencing as well?
Also, please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and post the result here.
Thanks!

Hi - no, once the texture map is lost and the surface goes black, there are only two ways I’ve found to get the texture map back.

The first is to create a copy of the original texture map with a different name, then reapply it (and readjust tiling repeats and rotation). If I try to reapply the original texture map (dragging and dropping from windows explorer) it stays black. If I apply a totally different texture map, it changes and looks fine, then I overwrite with original texture map it goes back to black.

The second is that sometimes rebooting my entire machine makes the original texture map come back.

I am running an Nvidia Quadro P2000 card and just updated driver - problem still occurring.

I never had this problem before. Have been updating Rhino with each update, including last couple weeks.

Note also that I am seeing other weird texture map issues. For example, sometimes I change a texture map on one surface and different maps applied to different surfaces change - either tiling and rotations or to completely other maps. Very weird.

System Info: Rhino 6 SR14 2019-4-28 (Rhino 6, 6.14.19118.15561, Git hash:master @ 8f0a84997c310a7ec1a42cf2704da8daa33e3e21)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-04-28
License details: LAN Zoo Network Node

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: NB-18-08

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® UHD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 4-18-2018 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P2000 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 4-17-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 430.39

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-17-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3039
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.14.19118.15561
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Pachyderm_Acoustic\Pachyderm_Acoustic.rhp “Pachyderm_Acoustic” 1.0.0.0
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.14.19118.15561
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\Lumion LiveSync for Rhino (839d6175-32d1-4ffe-a0a4-b7fb43cf0ff5)\2018.10.30.683\Lumion\Rhino 6.0\LumionPlugin.rhp “Lumion LiveSync for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.14.19118.15561
C:\Program Files\Enscape\Bin64\Enscape.Rhino6.Plugin.dll “Enscape.Rhino.Plugin” 2.5.19102.1302
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.14.19118.15561
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\Mindesk (f9d7eb16-ffb2-4445-ba1d-6f9b53fe0cb5)\2019.4.5.806\Mindesk.rhp “Mindesk”

Thanks,

Matthew Winkelstein

Thanks for that additional information!
Is this issue more or less readily reproducible on your system? I’m wondering if you can reproduce it when starting in Safe Mode with a factory-default template and making sure that none of those 3rd party plug-ins get loaded. I’d like to make sure that none of these are getting in the way…

Hi - unfortunately the problem is unpredictable. The model will hold the texture maps for a while then some geometry move or change will cause them to go black. Sometimes they all go black. Sometimes only some of them.

I have realized that rather than fully rebooting my machine, if I just close Rhino and reopen the file the texture maps will generally come back as before. That is my current solution.

Matthew

Same here.