Rhino7: Unable to correct messy textures

I’m trying to correct a messy texture that was perfectly fine in Rhino5:

As you can see, the UV-Editor shows a correct assignment, however, the object becomes transparent. After hitting apply, the texture shows up like before.

After closing and reopening the file, the textures sometimes look correct, but this is not persistent.

Also within a block definition and raytracing, the problem persists.

thanks
Cyana

Can you upload the object with messy texture for investigation, please?

Thanks for your reply, Nathan.

Here the file:
equ.073.PneuBulkheadPlt2.3dm (2.0 MB)

I’m encountering this problem with dozens of files.

thanks
Cyana

If you could resave your file with Save Textures enabled in the save dialog and reupload, or share the image file ‘lut decking.png’, here please, then I can better see what is going on.

Also, the top and bottom shelves that have the weird mapping on appear to be missing from your file:

Very sorry on that - I sent you the outdated version. This file is the correct one.
equ.073.PneuBulkheadPlt2_200.3dm (2.1 MB)

Ahm it’s my 60th birthday and I have an unexpected party, so I was too fast when I uploaded the file.
Again, very sorry and thank you for helping.

Cyana

A belated happy 60th birthday! I hope the surprise party was a success :slight_smile:

The object has already incorrect uvmapping. In rendered mode:

I’ll record a short video to show what I do to fix this later today or in the evening.

Thanks Nathan. The party was long. Very long. I just got up and it’s 2:30pm :slight_smile:

Any help in fixing this is really appreciated - I guess I have hundreds of affected files in this project, and I would hate to switch back to Rhino5 because Rhino7 is so much better!

thanks
Cyana (successfully entered the 60ties)

Sounds like it was a great party!

Please check out the following video I just recorded:

Thanks Nathan for your tutorial! So basically, I have to delete the mapping and reassign it again.

Just wondering if there is a conversion problem between Rhino 5 -> 7, as all textures were flawless in Rhino 5.

best greetings and thanks for your help, and have a nice Sunday :wink:
Cyana

Could you maybe share the object as the original v5 file? That will make it easier to investigate what the difference is between 5 and 7.

Thank you.

I will browse my backup archive to see if there is still a Rhino5 version there.

I’ve corrected some mappings meanwhile, however this one came up with the same broken texture as before:

I double clicked the block definition and got this error message:

It says that due to a failed memory allocation Rhino will close and I should restart the computer. The created emergency file looks correct:

More general, I experience an inconsistent erratic behavior with textures in Rhino7:
While textures are correct here

same block file is incorrect here. In both cases, the block file is linked to the main file.

Often, a file comes up like here:

The textures somehow are replaced by a mirroring surface. To cure this, I have to cut an affected block instance, and repaste it into the file. Then suddenly the correct textures reappear. I suspect something fishy in interaction with the graphics card (FirePro W9100)

Here the system information:

Thanks
Cyana

The last two images, are they in Rendered mode?

In any case it would be useful for us to receive all necessary files to investigate. Probably easiest to put all files in a Zip archive, then upload it using https://rhino3d.com/upload?to=nathan@mcneel.com

This will keep your files further out of public, but allow us to investigate. If you do upload, please add a link to this discussion in the comment box of the upload form.

Thank you.

Yes, all images are in rendered mode. I’ve got the Rhino5 version of equ.073:

equ.073.PneuBulkheadPlt2_200.3dm (2.1 MB)

On my machine in Rhino5 it looks correct.

I meanwhile did a system recovery back to the point before I installed the latest AMD driver (January 3rd) because I felt some of the texture problems occurred since then - and yes, obviously the latest AMD driver has problems with Rhino7:

Latest AMD driver:

AMD driver 2017

This however does not cure the initial problem of erratic and messy textures mentioned above.
I gladly can upload parts of the project, but please be aware these are hundreds of files, the oldest stemming from 2010 and Rhino3/4 and now mixed versions of Rhino5/7.

thanks
Cyana

Thank you, I think for now the v5 version of the file will be a good starting point for investigation.

I do see correct Rendered mode in v5, and incorrect in v7. I think I’m going to ask @Jussi_Aaltonen to look into this since he’s better versed in the UV mapping code. We’ll let you know what we find.

Thanks Nathan for your patience and your help!
Have a nice Sunday.

Cyana

Hi @Cyana, there appears to be flipped faces on the custom mapping meshes. One easy way to solve this problem is to run _UVEditor, select the UV texture mesh of the malicious face and _Flip it.
Are you only seeing this issue on models created with Rhino 5?

Hi Jussi,

thank you for your reply. Yes, all textures were made with Rhino5, where they looked correct. I have not yet created textured objects with Rhino7, as the project is nearly finished.
How can I find out if a mesh is malicious? And how can become a face malicious?

Does this also explain inconsistent behavior like mentioned above?

Blockquote
More general, I experience an inconsistent erratic behavior with textures in Rhino7:
While textures are correct here
Blockquote

Blockquote
same block file is incorrect here. In both cases, the block file is linked to the main file.
Blockquote

thanks
Cyana

@Cyana, by malicious faces I mean those that show wrong texture mapping in Rhino 7. Those issues are caused by flipped faces in custom mapping meshes (the meshes attached to the custom texture mapping object). Like I described you can flip those manually using UVEditor and Flip commands. But it is also possible they are flipped because of a bug in Rhino 5. Anyhow I’m working on a fix for Rhino 7 based on an idea I got after my last reply.

Could you upload a model with that object you have selected in the screen shot? I’d like to fix that as well. Thanks!

Filed as RH-62523 Flipped faces cause incorrect texture mapping